Suikoden Uncanny and Inspirational Karma Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Help Wanted for a huge new site project

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shad

Midnight

Potch
Soldiers
38 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:39 pm    Post subject: Help Wanted for a huge new site project Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I already asked a couple guys. I'm going to throw this out to everyone now. I know a few more of you have done programming jobs before.

I'll be brief now because I'm tired. I've long wanted to make a site that will be big enough to make a good profit off of, and I think I hit on the idea that'll do it. The main thing I need right now are some Flash programmers, but any contribution would be useful and could end in some nice returns if the thing works out.

I want to make an interactive information website built on user contributions, wikipedia-esque but with moderation on all entries, in which the focus is to present the big picture of subjects, rather than more specific details like wikipedia, via audio-supplemented map-based quizzes that allow easy commitment to memory.

Some of you guys did the Sheppard Software thing a while ago. I managed to memorize neigh every country and capital in the world in a matter of a few days with it. Here's an example from the site for those not familiar with it:
http://www.sheppardsoftware.com/Eur...s_1280_800.html

I want to take this concept and limit the subjects of its application only to the imagination of the userbase. If you want to know all the major cities in France, which country won each world cup, where each battle in World War II was fought, who the head of state of every country is, what the national boundaries of Europe were during the middle ages, where all your favorite beers are brewed, there's a quiz for it.

The idea came when I was searching for a site like this myself and couldn't find one. I know if such a thing existed I'd waste countless hours on it, and that tells me a lot of other people would too. I have lots of ideas for it, like a point system, difficulty levels, competition modes... I'm not going to get into all the details now though. Road block #1, and perhaps the biggest one, is finding people who can work with Flash and are willing to, or know of an alternative solution.

Is anyone in? There are certainly other aspects I'll need plenty of help with, so if you don't know Flash I'm not ruling you out, and if I make money off of it and you legitimately helped I'll see to it you get a cut. Heck, even if you can just direct me to people you think might be interested it would be a huge contribution. Before I start soliciting strangers I'd like to try to stand this up in house, but before any one person is willing to commit it's going to take a bunch of people willing to consider committing to it.
Aesa

Those Who Slumber

Potch
Soldiers
5 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

So let me figure this out here Shad, you essentially want to make a large data base website correct?

The setting sun means the rise of a new day...
...excepting for Ragnarok, of course

~Tinto~
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

Potch
Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

A large database in which people can draw the data from to create types of quizzes and games. Check out the sheppard software link-- games like those (and tons, tons more), but instead of being created by the owners of the site, all the users would be the ones creating the quizzes and games.

It's pretty sweet. I'm definitely up for contributing content, but I don't know a thing about programming.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Amyral

Windriders

Potch
Soldiers
620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'd certainly be up for helping to provide content, but like Gil, programming isn't my forte.
Aesa

Those Who Slumber

Potch
Soldiers
5 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Same here, sorry to say.

The setting sun means the rise of a new day...
...excepting for Ragnarok, of course

~Tinto~
Archy

PRAISE BE TO... GROOOWL RAINING BLOOD

Potch
Soldiers
800 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

No programming here, but I know a little, very little amount of HTML and Visual Basic. :P

But like everyone else, I'm up for the whole content thing.

Celes Tilly wrote:
If one of you were to ask, "Celes, what is Twisted Sister?" I would tell you God's honest truth.

"Butt rock."
Shad

Midnight

Potch
Soldiers
38 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have a great idea, move the thread to a forum no one ever looks at, because it's obviously an advertisement. Oh jeez it has a fun link in it too!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Advertisements & Fun Links All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: