Suikoden Uncouth and Illegal Kosher Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Heavy Metal Islam
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kohaku

Red Veil

309182 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Heavy Metal Islam Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Starslasher wrote:

- The Middle East has one of the youngest populations in the region (about half of Iran's population are below the age of 20). So you have millions of youths who are in a diffcult point in their lives and want their voices heard.

Well, if you had 4 wives that could always be replaced with another one real quick, you'd have your family big real quick, that's what happened in Saudi. Back to the topic, I think it's quite nice, but...., in some Muslim countries that practice wahabism (like, again, Saudi), it'd be really hard. Still, it'd be really fun to see rock music concert in Hadramaut or Riyadh.

Regarding to your comment about Indonesia, sadly for this recent times, a few youngsters tend to go a bit too "fundamental" (well, like lacking a bit of tolerance toward others), I'd rather like it if they went to be a more moderate Muslim, like me and (hopefully) you.

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Holy cow! You're back!! How long has it been?? Well, it's great to see you back Kohaku. ^_^

Anyways, you are right that there is practice of a much more stricter interpretation of Islam in countries like Saudi Arabia, but there is still hope for me that there is a rise in a movement for more...well, progressive, for a lack of a better word, intrepretation of Islam in those countries. One example is in Egypt, where the political Islamist party "Muslim Brotherhood" was the forefather of radical Islam, but nowadays, they have become more pluraistic and says to uphold democracy in Egypt. It is similar for other countries, Indonesia included.

I do realise, of course, that there are poeple who are being more extremist, which is quite noticable in Indonesia nowadays. But i find that people in Indonesia are overall not so extreme. Hopefully there can be some more dialogue between the two factions.

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kohaku

Red Veil

309182 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

almost 3 years, thank you :mrgreen:

Well, Indonesia is even more liberal than some "moderate" arabic country (UAE, Qatar), but, I don't know if it just me, it seems like the youngsters nowadays tend to see things on black and white from their own narrow perception of Islam. Everything other than your circle is wrong, even those with the same religion. They tend to develop feelings of dislike and hatred for other religions real quick.

This worried me most because it tend to happened on youngsters, I mean, those people recruit potential members for their circle from high school students and college freshmen.

Solid State Society

206885 Potch
254 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Kohaku wrote:
Well, Indonesia is even more liberal than some "moderate" arabic country (UAE, Qatar), but, I don't know if it just me, it seems like the youngsters nowadays tend to see things on black and white from their own narrow perception of Islam. Everything other than your circle is wrong, even those with the same religion. They tend to develop feelings of dislike and hatred for other religions real quick.

This worried me most because it tend to happened on youngsters, I mean, those people recruit potential members for their circle from high school students and college freshmen.

I agree with you especially with what happen at Monas yesterday.
I mean come on, Ahmadiyah is in Indonesia since a looong time ago. Why they make it as a big fuss now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mr. Geddoe

The Ghost Army

333054 Potch
380 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I say Indonesia is far on the left side of the Arabic countries.
It's now moving very fast to the right, however.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kohaku

Red Veil

309182 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Damn, Calupict! it's been long! How're you doing?

Regarding to the Monas incident, some people speculate the government was behind it (so that the people forget about the current issue: the rising oil price).
I don't know whether it's true or not, but I know that I really dislike the FPI. They remind me a lot of Taliban.

Solid State Society

206885 Potch
254 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Haha, I've been busy for a long time.

Yeah, even there is an email that forwarded from one mailing list to another which contain a confession from one of liberal Moslem community member about using FPI as a distraction from oil issue. I don't have any comment with the authenticity of the email however. I disagree with the oil price demo though since those college students seem confuse with what they doing. I've watch an interview where the student is unable to answer the questions at interview properly.

Now the government freeze the activity of Ahmadiyah. Oh dear, we have ratify International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights and thus we have an international obligation to preserve religious freedom in our territory which also guaranteed by the constitutional itself.

If you have a facebook, Kohaku; You may found a group that devoted to disband FPI. The name of the group is "Bubarkan FPI". They have quite large number of members (2000+) which quite a lot for Indonesian only group standard.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shad

Midnight

4252503 Potch
200 Soldiers
38 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Funny thing is I think the modern Middle-East metal scene started in Israel.

I'm curious what all bands got mention. I'm somewhat familiar with all that.
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, it wouldn't be too surprising if the middle east metal scene started in Israel.

From the interiews and articles i've seen the author mention, some people to be mentioned would include the Lebanese band the Kordz, Reda Zine, Arimoth and even the Israeli band Orphaned Land, which i learned, and i think i posted this previously, is quite well liked by other metal bands from the Middle East.

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: