Suikoden Uncouth and Infamous Knowledge Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

EBgames not accepting PC games in trade

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oppenheimer

Les monsieurs de Narcisse

256470 Potch
0 Soldiers
1865 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: EBgames not accepting PC games in trade Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Gah! I just went out to an EBgames in my area to buy the PC version of Mass Effect and it appears that they won't take my old computer games in trade anymore! I don't know if this is across the board (as I live in canada) but I would imagine it is. If you're planning on trading in any computer games I recommend you rush out and do it just in case your particular store is still doing it.

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think most places don't take old PC games in for trades anymore.

Solemn Sound

330634 Potch
100 Soldiers
48 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

did they ever take old pc games in for trade? Its been ages since if they have.

John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't remember a time when they did. Places worry about viruses on the discs, piracy and so on.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

John Layfield wrote:
I don't remember a time when they did. Places worry about viruses on the discs, piracy and so on.

I remember the time! Twas about five years ago, and PC game exchanging was at it's beautiful peak.
Sniper_Zegai

Gaien Magic Men

659144 Potch
850 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I only know one place that will accept PC games for trade in and believe me they come at a fraction of the price. Also the return time for a PC game even with a receipt has been seriously reduced, in a couple of stores I know of they only give you a week to return a fault PC game when you have 30 days to return a console game.

Its not surprising really, you don't even need to be a game pirate to take advantage, just buy a game, install it, add a No-CD/DVD patch and there, you don't need the game anymore.

256470 Potch
0 Soldiers
1865 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

SolemnSound wrote:
did they ever take old pc games in for trade? Its been ages since if they have.

Mine always have up until a week ago. I used to trade in PC games all the time.

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm surprised they were buying those things even up to a week ago. I spoke to the manager of the Gamestop near my house and one reason they don't buy PC Games anymore is due to people selling them not having the codekey half the time when selling the game. That and other newfangled DRMs publishers have been using to try and keep piracy down.

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

Mine always have up until a week ago. I used to trade in PC games all the time.

When was the last time you were there? unless the store you go to didn't get the memo, eb was bought out by gamestop mid 2005, and the last major thing both chains did differently was on 360 preorder that happened may/june of 05. Before that, eb took all sort of crap like music cds and phantasy star vol.1 & 2 for gamecube, but as of fall 05, they started taking direct orders from gamestop management so most of their policies changed right away.

As of spring 06, all the eb were basically saying they are gamestops and many competing stores located next to each other were closed down, in mid 06 both of them started taking returns/exchanges from each other, and before the start of 07 the black & white DOS looking gamestop computer system were all replaced by the colorful eb interface and all game informer cards were replaced by edge cards that held credits...

So all the eb stores officially became gamestops in everyway well over a year and a half ago, I don't know where you live but it's got to be pretty out there if they somehow took any sort of PC games trade ins after 2006, because I can tell you their computer system shouldn't have allowed it since then.
Oppenheimer

256470 Potch
0 Soldiers
1865 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Last time I was there was May 5th, the day after my birthday. I bought a bunch of games that I didn't get for my b.day and traded in a couple computer games at the same time.

I actually asked when they stopped traiding in games when they told me they no longer do it they said "last week". This was the same day I started this thread. I'm in Ontario, Canada and last time I checked my city had over 100 000 people in it, but the EB I went to was actually in the neibouring city which has a population of 200 000, if that makes a difference.

But, they scanned in the games into the computer to get the price. You'd think if EB really wanted to stop computer games from being allowed to be traded in they would have removed the prices from the computer.

Space Monkey Punks From Japan

349252 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Here in the UK, the game store Gamestation still trades in pc games for other games I believe, well they do at my local store anyway.

FOREVER X!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
jjrrs

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

yeah I'm sure it's a canada thing then, the eb/gamestops over there did take preorders for PS3 & Wii later than the US, long after the two companies started sharing all systems. we here in the US basically had nowhere to trade in PC games for about 2 years already.

I never worked at either chains but after all the stuff I bought over the years, I know every game retail/resell store pretty well, from blockbuster to small used books/dvd/music stores.

eb & gamestop used to be pretty different in many ways, eb usually gave more for trade ins and had better trade in promotions, but they were very strict with many of their trade/return/exchange policies:

they had lists of games that they considered to be too old or over stocked which they coded POX & eliminated from their trade promotions, and even til the day they got completely taken over by gamestop, their policy was to never take an incomplete game for trade. In terms of returns & exchanges, eb was anal as hell, they used to let people open a new games and still exchange it in 7 days but I think that went away back in 03. And for many years, eb would put a sticker labeled: "if this seal is broken, this game can not be returned" on their used games, so you couldn't exchange it if you played it, I tried to peel off the sticker and put it back but those things are sticky as hell and impossible to be reused.

The good things about eb used to be that their prices for harder to find games were always lower than gamestop, and there was sort of this: "smarter/more serious gamers didn't go to gamestop" thing, that seemed to allow eb to get more low key rpgs or cult classic games traded in than gamestop. Even today, the ratio of interesting or harder to find games at a store like gamecrazy is way better than an average gamestop, but I guess that might just be in my area. Though at this point, gamestop/eb is so dominating that no other game selling stores chain can really compete anymore.
Oppenheimer

256470 Potch
0 Soldiers
1865 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ah, I see. We don't even have Gamestop in canada (well, we do now sinec EB is technically gamestop). EB pretty much has the monopoly over here except I've seen a couple Microplays around, but other than that, you have to go to Future Shop or Best Buy or something if you want to get a game and EB doesn't have it in stock.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: