Suikoden Urgent and Infamous Kraalesque Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Saint Valentine's Day
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calvin

Legions of Zontar-Killers

817540 Potch
25 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Saint Valentine's Day Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

A tad late, but I thought I'd make a thread about it anyway. Valentine's Day is one of the more commercialized holidays of the year, and because of that a lot of people resent the holiday. Some people have gone so far to call it "Single's Awareness Day."

Speaking personally, I enjoy Valentine's Day. It's an excuse to dote on your significant other, especially if you are a man. I've always believed that in life, it doesn't really matter what someone else thinks about something--iwhats really important is what you believe in your heart. I try to live by that as much I can, but of course I'm human, and so naturally sometimes I will succomb to the opinions of others and pay no mind to my own. Anyways, in keeping with that, in my heart it doesn't matter what businesses or companies will reap from the holiday. Instead, I embrace it for what it is supposed to represent, which is simply romance.

I view it mostly as a feminine holiday as well, and I often see many men who are dating, engaged, or married to women who are "above their level" (hell, I'm one of them!). I'm lucky to have the woman I do have in my life and so are a lot of the other men out there who are with another woman too, so really, its just a day to make your significant other feel good and wanted, and I like that. In fact, I don't even think you have to be romantically involved with someone to participate, though I would say that usually gifts and such would be given to members of the sex you incline to. Say your a man with a woman friend--giving them flowers on valentines day would probably make their day!

But, that's just my own personal view.

What are your thoughts on Valentine's Day. Do you loath it with every fiber of your body, or do you enjoy it, or are you somewhere inbetween?

I changed the number on my phone so you can't call me up at home, and you can't say those
things to me, that make me fall down on my knees.

CAPTAIN PLANET

Headstrong

317417 Potch
2460 Soldiers
500 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

In-between, for me. I don't hate it, but I'm usually alone or something on it, so I never actually give it any thought at all. I don't hate the holiday for me being alone, I just hate being alone, I guess.

Happy Valentine's Day to everyone, though. Hope it's a great night for all of you.
ard, save the dirty talk for when we meet!
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Uji's heart is lonesome.

Love meeeee.
Angelus

Queen of Falena

579729 Potch
0 Soldiers
2545847 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Valentine's Day is alright. I had a great day with my boyfriend today. I don't really have a reason to hate it.

Jorge Prima wrote:
What? Our pokemon aren't obeying?

When a problem comes along YOU MUST WHIP IT!
Ikano

Prince Geass Falenas

2324315 Potch
1337 Soldiers
3028000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

A short convo that happened in my class today sums up my thought's of v-day.

Teacher: "Today's a special day. What day is it again class?"
Student: "Thursday."

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
BlackKnightYuber

320868 Potch
50 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I may enjoy Valentine's Day again someday. Right now, not so much. The last time I celebrated this particular Hallmark creation, my then-girlfriend admitted to have cheated on me a few days later. Needless to say, this lovey-dovey "holiday" has been my mortal enemy ever since.
skymansxeno

30626 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This comes up every year. I really don't think much of the holiday one way or the other anymore even though I am single. People who hate the holiday are probably too worried about being single.

The more legit reason for hating the holiday are guys or girls that are with someone who expects way to much out of the holiday and so they stress out for half of the month. Thats one of the biggest complaints I have heard about the holiday.
RedCydranth

Ice Dragons

3650446 Potch
194 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think those who have significant others should celebrate it and those who don't, shouldn't take it too seriously. I don't get why people get so depressed over it. Its not like women who don't have a kid weep on mother's day, or Jews mourn on Christmas because they don't believe in Jesus, so why do singles hate on those who have a relationship on Valentine's? A lot of holidays we celebrate center on certain types of people and for the most part are optional.

I had a good day, my girlfriend and I made lobster tails, shrimp and red smashed potatoes (want to talk about a lot of butter!) for dinner. We then had rich chocolate-mint pudding and Americone Dream ice cream for dessert. We relaxed and watched Lost and had a decent night.

Fantasy Football (NFL) Sign Ups in Sports Forum!
Calvin

817540 Potch
25 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

...last time I celebrated this particular Hallmark creation...

This reminded me--I was looking it up, and apparently Valentine's day has been around as a holiday in various incarnations since the Roman Empire days, albiet it wasn't considered a day of romance until the middle ages when some knight named Geoffery Chaucer or something made it so. I guess in that way it developed much like Christmas, in that it has pretty much become a holiday of spending.

I changed the number on my phone so you can't call me up at home, and you can't say those

Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Some knight named Chaucer isn't accurate, Chaucer was an author. Unless you meant the modern variant and he was Knighted (ie. Sir Geoffrey Chaucer) but I don't think he has this title either.

He wrote Canterbury Tales, I'm unaware of his connection to St. Valentines day.

I had a mostly good evening last night. Going to work this morning after last night out though has left me very sleepy.

Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay -
The worst is death, and death will have his day.
Malvagio

Liberatori di Inferno

26524 Potch
63 Soldiers
123938 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Happy belated Valentines day to all! Mine was pretty awesome, nice dinner at Bosa Nova with my beau in Hollywood and spent the night at Morongo hehe complete shocker for me all in all cuz in my mind I had no plans but chillaxin. Can't say I ain't still craving those "Sweethearts" candies....OMG there so fuckin good....the pink and yellow hearts taste the best........*runs to Walgreens!*

"Devoted Protector of Lord Logg and Lady Valeria"
Calvin

817540 Potch
25 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Exile: We speak of the same Chaucer, and I misspoke by calling him a knight. what I did read said that he initiatiated the Valentine's day romantic angle, however.

BlackKnightYuber

320868 Potch
50 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

RedCydranth wrote:
I think those who have significant others should celebrate it and those who don't, shouldn't take it too seriously. I don't get why people get so depressed over it. Its not like women who don't have a kid weep on mother's day, or Jews mourn on Christmas because they don't believe in Jesus, so why do singles hate on those who have a relationship on Valentine's? A lot of holidays we celebrate center on certain types of people and for the most part are optional.

Well, in my case it brings up painful memories. I'm sure there will come a day when I enjoy Valentine's once again. Perhaps calling it my "mortal enemy" was a stretch, but I'm still not its biggest fan.
Sniper_Zegai

Gaien Magic Men

659144 Potch
850 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I love, or should I say wuv Valentines Day. If I was on my own I would hate it but my girlfreind takes it very seriously and got a cake this year.

The cake was'nt a lie!

Gender Bender

52300 Potch
10 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I enjoy Valentine's Day. I always have chocolates from my boyfriend and we hangout together. ^^
Before when I had no bf back then, I just uhhh...treat it as an ordinary day. I sometimes get envious, I know it's not right but i really feel that way. Since my girlfriends have no boyfriends, we hangout together for lunch and go to arcade or mall. We usually talk a lot about buys in our school (the old good chick flick movies).

~ Securing the safety of mone---I mean uhh...people of Island Nations ~
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: