Suikoden Urgent and Informational Kosher Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Mana Khemia

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Equus

Sindarin Speed Bumps of Rage

197132 Potch
0 Soldiers
2993 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Mana Khemia Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hey folks! Didn't see anything written about this one yet, so wanted to throw it out there for the Atelier series fans. It's from Gust and is described as something of a "spiritual successor" to Atelier Iris, et al. Haven't seen a whole lot out on the web about it besides that they've taken it to a school as a base for the story. So it's almost like Harry Potter meets the Atelier series.

For anyone interested, here's the official website that they launched:

http://manakhemia.com/

Already pre-ordered my copy of the limited edition from the NIS America online store. ^_^ I'm not sure how good it is, overall, but I'm fond of the Atelier Iris series and Ar Tonelico...I guess sometimes I feel like watching cute 2d sprites.
Sialeeds

Jowston loyalists

339093 Potch
55 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I saw some screens and a trailer(not really seen it just the cover) and I thought it was a new cool RPG. But when I read it's a sequel from the Atelier Iris series my curiosity died very fast.
Angelus

Queen of Falena

579729 Potch
0 Soldiers
2545847 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Did anyone get the shiny limited edition box? I found out when there was some in stock, but due to troubles with the fam(/mom >_>), I couldn't get it right away and the next day it was out of stock.

Jorge Prima wrote:
What? Our pokemon aren't obeying?

When a problem comes along YOU MUST WHIP IT!
Equus

197132 Potch
0 Soldiers
2993 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
But when I read it's a sequel from the Atelier Iris series my curiosity died very fast.

LoL! Well, I will be the first to admit the Atelier series wasn't for everyone. For fans of the older 2d sprites who also are up for some zany characters and quirky story, it's a little bit of a change of pace.

I think it's also not so much a true sequel, just in the same vein. More like Atelier than Ar Tonelico was, but it's not meant to be a direct thing.

Quote:
Did anyone get the shiny limited edition box?

Yup, that's the one I preordered. I'm a sucker for random merchandise though. I have way too many resin figures and PVC statues lying around my apartment, so you know I wasn't about to pass that one up when I saw it. Bummer about not being able to get it because of family problems man.

Course being independent has its own set of problems that can arise, but at least it usually means that if I have the funds and I want it, no one is going to tell me "no". ^_^
Thief

Truth

213998 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

While the extra price was OK, I had no use for the extra merchandises that they decided to pack with the LE, so I'm holding out for the normal edition.

Ultimately I thought Grand Phantasm was disappointing, hence I decided against placing a preorder for this one.
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I like how they call this a spiritual successor but still recycle those goddamn sprites they've been using since Atelier Iris. It's incredibly irritating to me.
Equus

197132 Potch
0 Soldiers
2993 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Ultimately I thought Grand Phantasm was disappointing, hence I decided against placing a preorder for this one.

I actually was progressively less and less enthused about the series as it went on, and I actually haven't finished the third game yet. I liked the first a lot, the second was OK but I didn't like it as much as the first...well...you get the picture.

Quote:
I like how they call this a spiritual successor but still recycle those goddamn sprites they've been using since Atelier Iris. It's incredibly irritating to me.

Incredibly irritating? Maybe you're taking it too personally. It's not like they're plotting in a back alley "hey...we'll use the same images cuz I know it pisses Leb the heck off!" ^_^

I actually don't mind it, but I'm also one of those folks who don't really think that all facets of a product or something has to be revised upon every iteration for it to be effective. You can take that with a grain of salt (or a massive salt lick) because Dynasty Warriors is one of my guilty pleasures and I really didn't find any problem with Disgaea 1 and 2 using the same sprites, so maybe I'm just a big sucker. :P
RedCydranth

Ice Dragons

3650446 Potch
194 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I actually like it when games use the same sprites and game engines as their predecessors. It keeps it all similar and real. I actually get irked when games of the same series change the looks of staple people or creatures. Look at the revamped Moogles in Final Fantasy, why change them like that?

Using the same sprites isn't really lazy when upgrading them isn't necessary. I this game is a sequel of sorts to the Atelier Iris series, I'd be glad to see some familiarity.

Fantasy Football (NFL) Sign Ups in Sports Forum!
Darko

Spell to Bind Forever

235341 Potch
0 Soldiers
5809 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Equus Beequs, didn't I tell you not to be blowing your money away on things like this?? Boy, you'll be the death of me! I'll have to keep your money from now on. You leave me no choice, mister! *snatches his wallet away*

I was on the main site yesterday and it appears to be very light in almost every aspect. Although I didn't read a lot of the storyline info so I can't be sure.

I feel like I'm one of the only people who hasn't played any of the NIS games everyone raves about, but most of them have looked very intriguing. I do love me some 2Dness so maybe this game will be the one to break me into this type of RPG!

RIP Gabriel J. Figueroa 1987-2007
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Equus wrote:
Quote:

Incredibly irritating? Maybe you're taking it too personally. It's not like they're plotting in a back alley "hey...we'll use the same images cuz I know it pisses Leb the heck off!" ^_^

Except that's not what I'm saying at all. It's not "Oh, they're reusing sprites and I'm taking this as a personal attack," it's "Wow, I get to see the same stuff I've seen in their games since 2004? Getting a bit lazy there, fellas, and it's a real turn-off to me."

And now it goes one step further by being the same basic sprites and backgrounds now being used in a new series. Time to start fresh, I'd say.
Keriaku

Angels' Requiem

114115 Potch
0 Soldiers
1 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

As soon as I found out this was in a school setting with classes and such, I was hooked. I'm excited for this, and the Working Design-like extras NIS America is including.
Son of Liberty

17460 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I played the Japanese version of the game. And I must say this is an improvement from Grand Phantasm.

You can take Mana Khemia as something of a enhanced remake of Grand Phantasm. Because some of the systems like the battle system is pretty much the same as Grand Phantasm.

The story in Mana Khemia is pretty good. Sure, there's nothing innovative regarding the story. But it was written well and pretty much reflected the themes of the game. Plus the music is great too.

I recommend this game to everyone, it's a good game and worth anyone's time.
Ranadiel

The Squirrel Mob

68112 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Son of Liberty wrote:
I played the Japanese version of the game. And I must say this is an improvement from Grand Phantasm.

You can take Mana Khemia as something of a enhanced remake of Grand Phantasm. Because some of the systems like the battle system is pretty much the same as Grand Phantasm.

The story in Mana Khemia is pretty good. Sure, there's nothing innovative regarding the story. But it was written well and pretty much reflected the themes of the game. Plus the music is great too.

I recommend this game to everyone, it's a good game and worth anyone's time.

Out of curiosity, are you limited to only three party members again? Becasuse for some reason that was the thing about Grand Phantasm that seemed to bug me the most.

Titles: Harmonian Tenki Star, Harmonian Jousting Champion
Thief

Truth

213998 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ditto there.

That, and the quest-driven storytelling, which got old pretty quickly.
Son of Liberty

17460 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Out of curiosity, are you limited to only three party members again? Becasuse for some reason that was the thing about Grand Phantasm that seemed to bug me the most.

Yes. However there are major changes. There's no longer spamming Burst by using normal attacks alone, for example. You need to exploit weaknesses and deal a lot of damage to do so.

There's also a support system, where you can switch characters. You cannot switch at once, though. You need to be filled up before they can be used again.

During the game, 3 main players and 3 supports are available at any time. If one of the main characters attacks, a O button comes up telling you, you can use the support character to attack. You can chain up to three more attacks to increase the damage.

You can also call in another person from support to take damage for you so that you can distribute the damage among the characters.

the game will also introduce Finisher Burst. Finisher Burst is an extended gauge, which needs to be filled in burst mode. The conditions for filling it will change to random acts that need to be done. For example one condition is getting continues chain attacks, another is healing party members, or breaking enemy (stun). It will randomize every time you go into burst mode so it will not always be the same.

(Stole it from a gamefaqs review, I'm not good at explain things in detail.)

Quote:
Ditto there.

That, and the quest-driven storytelling, which got old pretty quickly.

You needn't to worry about that. Quests are school assignments as well as part time work in Mana Khemia. It's a chapter driven story.

However, if you want to get the game on March, I advise you not to neglect the "part time work" because they may drop items that is essential to you character growth, such as recipe.

Speaking of growth, the growth system is pretty much like Final Fantasy X. You do battle to collect AP, do alchemy to unlock attributes, and use the AP to increase your attributes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: