Suikoden Ugly and Illegal Kosher Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Red Cliff (aka Battle of Red Cliff)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: Red Cliff (aka Battle of Red Cliff) Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

John Woo is still one of the better directors from Asia to have made a major impact in cinema in the last 25 years. His balletic-style in choreographing action scenes has been copied, imitated and used time and time again by young directors looking to make action moives, but I still think he does it best. While his list of films working in the American Hollywood system ranges from very good (Face/Off to awful Payback) no one can deny his body of work pre-Hollywood. Some of the best action flicks of the past couple decades still bear his name (The Killer, Hard-Boiled and Bullet in the Head to name a few).

John Woo might be ready to get back to the region which gave him more creative freedom than he was given within the corporate structure of the big Hollywood studios. His first film back working in China is his two-part epic Red Cliff (also known as Battle of Red Cliff) which dramatizes this important time in China's history. The first part will be shown this summer of 2008 right before the Beijing Summer Olympics.

Red Cliff trailer

Here's a quick glance at the cast of the film.

Tony Leung as Zhou Yun
Takeshi Kaneshiro as Zhuge Liang
Zhang Fengyi as Cao Cao (Ken Watanabe was original set to play the role)
Yong You as Lie Bei

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've only seen the few few historically based Chinese epics that recieved wide acclaim here in eh states (Crouch Tiger; Hidden Dragon, Hero, House of Flying Daggers, etc.) but I assume this one will receive notoriety here due to the massive budget (mostly funded by the Chinese government). I can imagine this will be a very pretty movie, but it has certainly got a lot of other movies to... out-pretty. I mean, the scene in CT;HD where she jumps from the mountain, and the fight in the bamboo forest, the many, many beautifully choreographed scenes in Hero, and the final scenes of House of Flying Daggers where the field becomes covered in snow-- just gorgeous. They certainly have the cash to try to top it here, and also the background material-- so we'll see what goes down.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shrew

The All-Star Rock n' Breakdance Electronic Band from Shenzhen

237023 Potch
110 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, Zhang Yimou (of Hero/House of Flying Daggers) is just about synonymous with very pretty pictures. I doubt Red Cliff will win on the aesthetic front, but that isn't John Woo's forte. It should have some fantastic action/battle sequences, and I think its budget assures it will outepic its predecessors.

I'm a tad reserved, because I fear how much it could be mired down in melodrama, which both the Chinese and John Woo have a penchant for. And John Woo without guns makes me somewhat apprehensive. Nice to see he still got his birds in, at least for the trailer.

Fear our Vagueness.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Media All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: