Suikoden Ugly and Irenic Kriegspiel Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Carnivàle

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calvin

Legions of Zontar-Killers

817540 Potch
25 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Carnivàle Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Carnivale is a show that was on HBO that takes place during the depression era. Its ideas and themes are many and quite complex, but the simplest way to describe it is that it is a two pronged story that follows the story of a group of traveling carnies as well as an evangelical priest and his ministry and presupposes that magic and the supernatural exists. The show was canceled basically because it cost too much and the creator wasn't willing to cut costs, but it ran for two seasons and the entire story arch was supposed to consist of three two-season "blocks." During its run it gathered quite a cult following, and there is even an annual "carny festival" that was spawned because of the show.

People who have seen the show have varying opinions on it. Some say that it is extremely deep and thought provoking, and others say that it is convoluted and too hard to understand. I think that all would agree, however, that there has never been a show quite like Carnivale. Its $4 million per episode budget is resulted in it having extremely high production values. The cast of characters in Carnivale are some of the most interesting and just plain wierd I have ever seen in a show. In the traveling carnivale for example, "management" consists of a man who is never seen and a man suffering from dwarfism, and a few of the acts include a man covered completely in scales, a very old blind man with cloudy eyes who can read minds, a large woman with a beard, and a tarot reader who is paralyzed but tells peoples fortunes by a telepathic link with her daughter. On the other side of things, there is a pastor who thinks God is speaking to him by showing him the terrible things people in his ministry have done, and throughout the series there is a relationship that is hinted at between him and his sister.

It is basically something you have to see to really appreciate. While watching it, I am constantly wondering how on earth something like this got on television. This is the type of show that never gets on television because it is so out there and steps over boundaries constantly, but that I've always wished they'd show. I was completely mesmerized from start to finish. It's unfortunate, however, that it only lasted two seasons.

Anyways, has anybody else seen this show? What did you think about it?

I changed the number on my phone so you can't call me up at home, and you can't say those
things to me, that make me fall down on my knees.

Blackjack

78881 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This show had some of the best cinematography I have ever seen, including movies.

Nothing much happened for a lot of Carnivale, but it was the most beautiful nothing I have ever seen. I would watch every week just for shots of the desert.

But, I loved it regardless of that, as well. The first season was excellent and the second, even though it definitely faltered (Lila's little "Carnie Rebellion" thing went on way too long, got far too much screen-time, and was ended with an abrupt "Shut up, Lila" from Samson), it was still pretty good. It's too bad that it cost too much money for HBO to keep airing.

YES. YES IT CAN.

"Life is not a having and a getting, but a being and a becoming." -- Myrna Loy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Onimaru

Perverted Old Men

3407 Potch
954 Soldiers
86 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I loved this series! it sucks they dropped it, lol, i don't have alot more to contribute than that but I've got a few of the dvd's at home that I never ended up returning to blockbuster. Excellent concept and beautifully delivered, I think it'd be to late to return to making it, but I would sure love to see them take a shot at it. Hell, if they can make another Rambo movie there's no reason HBO can't take another crack at Carnivale. It's not like they have the Soprano's or any other major sellers to spend their budget on.

Wait, scratch that, I want them to devote all of their budget (and cancel Entorage) to the new Song of Ice and Fire series. :D

Anyways, I'm going to go out and buy the box set one of these days and watch the whole thing through, then be even more dissapointed that they dropped the series. haha, cruel HBO!

I hate you Onimaru.
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I never got to see all the episodes but did catch the first half of the first season. I always thought the series started off slow but like most shows nowadays if someone stuck it out during the introductory first couple episodes then trying to understand what was going on was simple and easy. The episodes I was able to see seemed to have that Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes, vibe. I plan to get it on dvd once I run out of other titles to buy.

the show only lasting two seasons due to high production cost was inevitable. The same thing happened to Rome and that series' budget ran to around 200 million dollars total for the two seasons.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Media All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: