Suikoden Uncouth and Infamous Kosher Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

10 Greatest Games

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject: 10 Greatest Games Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

So this year is the 40th anniversary of the Philadelphia Flyers and to celebrate they launched a DVD chronicling the 10 greatest games in their history, I figured that would make for a good topic for the folks here.

So I ask you all what are the ten greatest games in the history of your favourite sports team?

I have mine laid out in front of me for my team but I know Goldy must be able to think of a few for manchester united for example, like the European Champion's League win against Bayern Munich or stopping the Arsenal 50 game unbeaten run with the van Nistelrooy penalty. Sailor Sexy I think is a Pats fan? Well there's a few recent superbowl wins that I'm sure rank up there for his team but which was the best one?

We've got a mix of fans of different sports and teams within those so hopefully this will be an interesting topic.

As for my choices well I've had them rather laid out for me by team officials and so on. I think recency may have slipped one of the 10 in but the rest I won't argue with since I'm only a fan of the team for about 7 years now and a lot of the games occurred before my time but I know the backstory to some of these wins and thereby I'm aware of their significance. I haven't watched them all yet either (only 2 so far) so I won't attempt to put them in order I'll save that for a later post once I'm done watching and enjoying them.

The ten games however are;
1. Flyers vs. Lightning - Eastern Conference Finals game 6, 2004.
2. Flyers vs. Leafs - Eastern Conference Semi-Finals game 6, 2004.
3. Flyers vs. Penguins - Eastern Conference Semi-Finals game 4, 2000.
4. Flyers vs. Oilers - Stanley Cup Final game 6, 1987.
5. Flyers vs. Rangers - Division Semi-Finals game 2, 1985.
6. Flyers vs. Bruins - Record unbeaten streak game, 1979.
7. Flyers vs. Soviet Army - Super series 1976.
8. Flyers vs. Sabres - Stanley Cup Final game 6, 1975.
9. Flyers vs. Bruins - Stanley Cup Final game 6, 1974.
10. Flyers vs. Bruins - Stanley Cup Final, game 2, 1974.

So there they are in chronological order, I'll hold off on explaining their significance until I finally get a chance to watch them all but they're all pivotal moments in their own ways. I think the leafs game might not deserve to be there when I think about it and perhaps there should be at least one game with Eric Lindros involved given how very good he was when he played for the Flyers, I don't know what game since his decline had begun when I became a fan but I know he was a huge part of the team that reached the finals and got swept by the Wings in 1997, perhaps an Eastern Conference Final game from that series against the Pens would have been better placed in there somewhere, Lindros put up three points in a 5-1 win that put the Flyers into the final, seems like it should be a significant one even if it may be a player some Flyer fans would sooner forget because of the later indescretions surrounding Lindros' career and injuries then subsequent leaving of the team.

Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay -
The worst is death, and death will have his day.
Geddoe

Eyepatches of the Faith

397934 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have a variety of sports teams that I like, but I can name for you a few games that have kinda impacted my life or made an impression on me over time.

1. Game 7, Calgary v. Tampa Bay, Stanley Cup Finals 04: No, Tampa isn't really a hockey town but then again, most people would just write off a team in the South as not having the first clue about hockey. But in the years before this win, the fans had been getting louder and stronger, and we were finally cheering for our own team instead of the visiting teams when they came through.

2. You already pointed this out, Phil-chan, but I will agree with you about Eastern Conference Finals game 6, Lightning v. Flyers. Tampa and Philadelphia have always had some sort of rivalry going, whether it be in football or now hockey. [Man, local radio was chugging some serious Philly haterade, especially since the big local host here is originally from Philly] I sorta think that's another way you know your team is really on the map - when there seems to be some heated haterade chugging between the two teams. I remember being at work and listening to the game, and the announcers [if you've ever heard our guy scream 'SCOOOOOOOOOOORE!' you'll understand perfectly] were trying to remain impartial but you knew that they couldn't...actually, the whole Playoff run was just such an energizing time for the city as a whole.

I've not been a hockey fan for very long - I only started really paying attention when the Lightning made the playoff run. Does this topic include other sports, or are we leaving it to just hockey?

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Please include anything you like, I mentioned both football and football in my examples above.

I watched Game 6 of the Tampa Flyers series already, first one I watched since I figured I'd already seen it before and it really was a hell of a game from both teams, LeCavalier scored twice and so did Fedotenko. Primeau was pretty scary out there flying all over the place like a man possessed as he was through the whole playoffs that year (still sad about his premature retirement now).

Just a great game of hockey, obviously this game ended well for me but the series went Tampa's way. I remember the feeling after game 7, I was so upset but at the same time I felt an immense sense of pride having watched my team really give it all they could, the injuries were distressing, Kapanen playing on defence was less than ideal but it was great hockey and a run I won't forget.

Goldy

Kooluk Companions

543627 Potch
467 Soldiers
4141829 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Exile wrote:
but I know Goldy must be able to think of a few for manchester united for example, like the European Champion's League win against Bayern Munich or stopping the Arsenal 50 game unbeaten run with the van Nistelrooy penalty.

I am sure i could think of 10 games! These are the games that i have seen so i will go with them. You will probably see alot of games from the 1999 Season! :P

1: Manchester United 2-1 Bayern Munich - Champions League Final - 1999.
2: Manchester United 2-0 Newcastle United - FA Cup Final 1999.
3: Manchester United 2-1 Tottenham Hotspur - Crowned FA Premiership Champions 1999
4: Manchester United 3-2 Juventus - Champions League Semi-Final Second Leg at the Stadio Delle Alpi - 1999
5: Manchester United 2-1 Arsenal FC - FA Cup Semi-Final Replay - 1999
6: Manchester United 5-0 Manchester City - FA Premiership - 1994
7: Manchester United 9-0 Ipswich Town - FA Premiership - 1995
8: Manchester United 6-1 Arsenal FC - FA Premiership - 2001
9: Manchester United 8-1 Nottingham Forest - FA Premiership - 1999
10: Manchester United 7-1 Roma - Champions League Quarter Final Second Leg at Old Trafford - 2007
Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I can't believe the Arsenal undeafeted streak stopper didn't slip into the top ten that's one of my most memorable it was so hyped and United took it with that Van Nistelrooy penalty. It was beautiful for the non-Arse fans! Their dominance was getting annoying.

I mean there they sat on 49, they were actually beginning to threaten the Flyers for longest undefeated streak in professional sports I think, we have a mark of about 61 games I believe it is.

Still need to finish watching my set of discs then I would know for sure.

Goldy

Kooluk Companions

543627 Potch
467 Soldiers
4141829 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ah yeah, i thought about that match, but the 6-1 drubbing in 2001 and the Ryan Giggs goal in the FA Cup replay in 1999 was much more fun! :P
Kai Ver' Xion

The Ebon Elite

356999 Potch
125 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hmm...so many great games to choose from..and so many sports to try to include..

10. 1992 Stanley Cup finals with the Penguins finishing out the series 4-0 against the Blackhawks

9. 1982 on Monday Night Football. The Raiders were down 24-0 against the Chargers only to shut down the Chargers and rally back to win the game 28-24 in the second half.

8. 2007 Raiders playing the Browns. The Raiders started the game off with a 16-0 lead, but the Browns rallied back to keep the game close for most of the second half. The Raiders held the lead by two points with only 45 seconds left in the game. The Browns proceeded to drive down to the Raiders 40 and clearly into field goal range with 3 seconds left. The Browns then kicked the field goal and made it, but Lane Kiffin had cleverly called a timeout right before the kick. (what Mike Shanahan had done to the Raiders the week before in their loss to Dever.). On the next attempt, Tommy Kelly blocked the kick to seal the Raiders victory.

7. Manchester United's 1999 FA cup championship win

6. 2005-06 AFC playoff game. Steelers, Colts. The infamous Jerome Bettis fumble. That game really played with my emotions. I'm a Raiders fan, but my mom and her family are from Pittsburgh so I've been raised to like them as well. Steelers come out on top, 21-18.

5. 1974 AFC playoff game. The "Sea of Hands" game. Clarence Davis makes the winning TD catch while covered by three defenders.

4. The Immaculate Reception. 1972...a game I've been torn about since I heard about it. (I was born in 85' but have done my sports history HW :P ) An amazing feet of luck for the Steelers to win that game. Unfortunately..it happened against my Raiders.

3. Manchester United winning the Champions League final in 1999. By far my favorite year of Soccer.

2. 1977. Raiders-Vikings in Superbowl XI. Raiders close out their lead with a 75 yard TD interception return from hall of famer Willie Brown and crush any chance of the Viking coming back. The Oaklands Raiders first Superbowl victory.

1. Raiders-Redskins in 1984. I actually live in the DC area so I'm constantly surrounded by Redskins fans. I jumped onto the Raiders actually because they were the first team I ever saw play. Howie Long, Bo Jackson, Tim Brown, and Marcus Allen in is latter years. In Superbowl XVII, Marcus Allen ran for 194 yards on only 20 carries and two touchdowns, one being one of the most incredible runs I've ever seen for 74 yards. (Allens 194 yards was an NFL record for a superbowl game, and his 74 yard run held as an NFL record until 2006 when Willie Parker just beat it out)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: