Suikoden Uncouth and Irenic Kibbutz Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

UK PM Backs Automatic Organ Donation
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:36 pm    Post subject: UK PM Backs Automatic Organ Donation Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7186007.stm

Basically Gordon Brown is supporting a law that when a person dies, unless they take themselves off a register, their organs can be used for other people.

Violation? Good thing? Wrong?
Kikito

Order of the Absolute

2953355 Potch
65 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Though I like that a law like this was established, I think there might be some repercussions. For example, some people might argue that doctors who are experiencing a shortage in organ X might not do their best to save the life of a person with a perfectly health organ X so that they could harvest it later. Some religions are even opposed to organ transplants, but they could all just take their names off the register.

In my opinion, this is a very good thing, and could save a lot of lives. Since people would have the option of taking their names off the donor's list, then what I said above shouldn't be a problem. Perhaps other countries could follow suit if this works well in the UK.
Ley

Username

441125 Potch
0 Soldiers
550446 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's not been implemented, and I doubt it actually will. Politicians as a whole are a reactionary group who hardly look at things from a logical point of view. I don't even think Labour will be sticking the whip on this, though if they do then I can easily see a fair few Labour MP's rebelling.
Seraphblade

imaginary soldiers

935122 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The law does have very good intentions, but when it comes to medical ethics, autonomy is a major thing. In this case, patients who will pass away will have no informed decision on whether their organs can be donated to others, thus they are not autonomous. Of course some people may argue that by allowing a person to take his or her name of the registry, there is autonomy. Less people will probably support the latter though.

Like Ley said, this probably won't be a very successful law. I would be very surprised it is does get implemented though.
Kikito

Order of the Absolute

2953355 Potch
65 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

One way to deal with the ethical issues raised by this project is to give each citizen a reasonable amount of notice and knowledge of the proccess needed to take one's name off the list and make it a very easy to do one too. If they put too many blocks for those who want to take their names off the register.

However, what Ley says is true. This kind of project is far too radical to expect it to be made into law. It may lead to some advances in the area though, and may pave the way to a similar, yet more acceptable law for all sides involved.
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I am all for organ donation, but making it automatic may just make people remove their names wholesale from any sort of registry. If there's something I've learned about people who live in a democratic society it is that they really don't like being told what they can or cannot do. By keeping it voluntary it makes people who sign up for organ donation feel like they're doing something generous, but make it automatic without them ever having a choice to make it and they'll scream invasion of privacy and civil rights.

Another thing that makes this proposal difficult to implement will be all the red-tape that could happen from lawsuits. Even giving people some time to make a decision in case they're seriously ill what happen when someone if in a critical accident and never regain consciousness. People by nature can be very fickle. Even if they're name hasn't been removed from the registry who is to say they wouldn't have if they never got into an accident.

Right or wrong people will look at an automatic organ donor system as being very invasive and too Big Brotherish. Some would even remove their name off that list if just to spite such a governmenta intrusion to their rights to choose. Really, if the UK wanted to make sure more people were eligible for organ donation upon their death they should fund a massive public education campaign on its benefits. I'm not even going to get into how many religions may have something to say about the body of the deceased remaining inviolated and carving it up for its organs would definitely fall under violating said body.

Desert Elite

357208 Potch
0 Soldiers
4283 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'd support such a law but if it will even get a realistic look in is something else. It will at the very least do well as a profile raising campaign.

1681589 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think it's a good thing. If you don't want to donate organs after your death, just say so and your name will be removed from the list. Not that difficult. The same system has already been in effect for many years in various countries in Europe (among them Austria, Spain, Portugal, Hungary, Poland), and it works just fine. Gordon Brown's idea is nothing new.
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't see why reversing the system is really going to make a difference, though. I mean, it's just an unnecessary change. Sure, there's no real problem with it-- but why bother? The people who are going to donate organs will have signed up for it already, and the people who wouldn't would just take their names off the list. I don't see what this would change.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
iscalio

1681589 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You're not thinking this through, Gil. The number of donated organs (and thus saved lives) will significantly increase. Many people just don't have a strong opinion about the issue and don't bother doing anything in regard to organ donation, be it adding or removing themselves to/from a list. The organs of this large group of lazy and indifferent people can be harvested if the new system is adopted, which wasn't possible before.

Last edited by iscalio on Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There is some sense to it, but at the same time the law puts a person in the position of having to opt out of something as serious as this, when freedom should be only being able to opt into the program.

iscalio wrote:
You're naive, Gil! The number of donated organs (and thus saved lives) will significantly increase. Many people just don't have a strong opinion about the issue and don't bother doing anything in regard to organ donation, be it adding or removing themselves to/from a list. The organs of this large group of lazy and indifferent people can be harvested if the new system is adopted, which wasn't possible before.

You sound like such an evil scientist. :P
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, in the United States you have to choose to be an organ donor or not to be one to have a driver's license, so I figure checking a yes or no box in that regard is not very difficult. The system is likely different in other countries, though, and perhaps I'm just underestimating the laziness of people.

And I agree with Uji-woojie-- that last bit sounds pretty evil-scientisty. XD

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
iscalio

1681589 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Gil-galad wrote:
Well, in the United States you have to choose to be an organ donor or not to be one to have a driver's license, so I figure checking a yes or no box in that regard is not very difficult. The system is likely different in other countries, though

It is. Many people also do not have a driver's license.
Tonberry

The Tonberry Eggsperience

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

iscalio wrote:
I think it's a good thing. If you don't want to donate organs after your death, just say so and your name will be removed from the list. Not that difficult. The same system has already been in effect for many years in various countries in Europe (among them Austria, Spain, Portugal, Hungary, Poland), and it works just fine. Gordon Brown's idea is nothing new.

I agree totally.

And in any case, dead people don't need organs.
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There's actually a fee in the state of California if you choose not to register as a donor. It's only two or so dollars, but I think that's a decent alternative to the automatic system.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: