Suikoden Urgent and Irenic Kraalesque Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Book to Movie

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flare

Flying Bolts of Doom

680830 Potch
3700 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject: Book to Movie Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

We all know that a lot of movies are really based on books. So, I got to thinking, what book would you guys like to see made into a movie? Personally, I'd like to see Sabriel made into a movie. It'd be interesting to see how Death would look and how the Charter magic works. There's plenty of action in it. I think it would be perfect for a movie. It'd make a good stand alone movie too. Lirael and Abhorsen don't have to be made in order for Sabriel to make sense.
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I would hate to see Sabriel as a movie.[/sarcasm]

Currently, it's being created as a graphic novel. There were rumours that they were going to create a movie of Sabriel (what with all the fantasy book-to-movie creations coming out recently) but I've heard nothing more than "a friend of a friend who knows someone..." etc.

Book I'd like to see as a film? Well not Eragon that's for sure.

Lies of Locke Lamora is also getting made into a movie but it's all being kept secretive! Stupid secrets!

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Azuma

4917 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I once started a novel series called "Broken Sky" but never really managed to get any further than the second of nine books. But I think it would be an amazing book to have put into film form, or even more fitting, an anime series being made from it.
Ezekiel

Mediocre Archer

119921 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I first realized books > movies when I saw Stephen king's "IT" on tv, after reading it. It is one of my favorite books of all time, and I was actually kind of scared while reading it. (I was 14, don't laugh!) Then when i heard it was on TV, I was so excited. But I was completely let down at the end, my imagination was a lot more terrifying and a lot less 80's than the movie was.

But for a book I want to be made into a movie, I have to say Romance of the Three Kingdoms. I know it's been done before on a small scale, over in Asia, but I want it done BIG.

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

People's imaginations tend to be much more suited to entertaining one's self than an on screen production, that is what I think anyway.
Azuma

4917 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Considering the popular Dynasty Warriors series' success, I reckon a movie based around the Romance of the Three Kingdoms can only be a matter of time. I mean, because of the games people would know the characters in the movie somewhat.

Ooft, I like the idea as well now Ezekiel. =P The reason i'm using the game as a reference rather than the book, actually, is because it'd appeal to that audience more than the readers of the books. That way, the movie could become a bigger blockbuster thriller since they have a larger audience to satisfy. ^-^
Ezekiel

Mediocre Archer

119921 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Azuma wrote:
Considering the popular Dynasty Warriors series' success, I reckon a movie based around the Romance of the Three Kingdoms can only be a matter of time. I mean, because of the games people would know the characters in the movie somewhat.

Ooft, I like the idea as well now Ezekiel. =P The reason i'm using the game as a reference rather than the book, actually, is because it'd appeal to that audience more than the readers of the books. That way, the movie could become a bigger blockbuster thriller since they have a larger audience to satisfy. ^-^

Actually, 2 Rot3K movies are coming out, but not based on the era as a whole. You have Battle of Red Cliffs, which is about the Battle at Chi Bi (The famous naval battle), and another one called Dragon something or toher, based on some people from Shu, go figure. I hate Shu.

4917 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

True that. Compared to Wei and Wu... Shu is ew. Ha, see that rhyming skill there?

As for the Battle of Red Cliffs, that should be good, considering it involves all three of the sides in one battle. They better pay special attention to the death of Zhou Yu or I won't be a happy chappy. I'm a major fan of most of the Wu character, of course as they are portrayed in the Dynasty Warriors games, i've never managed to get my hands on a book to have a read. I'd understand it's FAR more intellectually involving than button bashing in front of a TV screen, with less than two minutes of cutscenes and FMV's to tell the story. Ha.

A movie based around the Darren Shan movies would be good. It'd be horror, but a horror that a teen audience could also relate too. Young kid gets turned into a vampire? How emo is that? The modern audience should be able to relate to a story that consists of these sort of plotlines. =P If you've ever read the novels, they're not in fact THAT amazingly written, but the storyline would definately be a good one to put into movie form. Apparently the rights to make a film have been sold by the author to Universal Studios, so one can only dream. Although, a previous deal regarding the production of a Darren Shan movie failed to go ahead, so there's a high chance this one won't succeed either (according to online sources)
AA

Spears of the Sand

366104 Potch
200 Soldiers
3121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sabriel... as a movie... yes please!

I always have reservations about books to films since there is always the chance that someone will come along and ruin it completely with "their own vision".

Also some books have a complete change of story or have major bits removed/added, anyone who has read "the devil wears Prada" will understand what i mean.

As for the Abhorsen series, if they keep to the plot and cast some amazing actors it could be the best series of films ever made, personally i would love to see Lirael as a film, but of course to make that they would have to make the other two as well.
Calvin

Legions of Zontar-Killers

817540 Potch
25 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

One book that I want to see made as a movie is Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. I think Card's writing, especially in the case of this book, lends itself well to adaptation. In actuality, a movie based on the book is supposedly in the works (Card says so on his website), but there has been no news for quite some time, so I have to wonder if it will ever come to fruition. As it stands, the studio has little invested in the film other than the rights, since the script isn't even done yet and there or no specific plans made.

One of the reasons I'm so excited about it is because Card himself is writing (or did write) the screenplay. Card began his career as a playwright, and the fact that the author himself wrote the movie will make anything left out a much easier pill to swallow.

I changed the number on my phone so you can't call me up at home, and you can't say those
things to me, that make me fall down on my knees.

Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I always wanted to see Rendezvous with Rama be adapted to the big screen. There's been attempts to have it done but the epic scope and the funding needed to make it always kept it from happening. But now it looks like there's a chance it will finally get greenlit with David Fincher doing the director's duty while Morgan Freeman produces it.

I have always wanted to see what Fincher can do with a hard sci-fi project. His visual style would definitely make for a very well shot and very detailed film.

Buttery Lungs

290293 Potch
666 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Abarat would be cool as a movie.

Aside from that... hmm, maybe Green Rider. Swan Song would be fucking awesome, but I think it's too long and complex for a simple movie. Lord Foul's Bane would be good, but probably impossible.
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Celes Tilly wrote:
Swan Song would be fucking awesome, but I think it's too long and complex for a simple movie.

If you mean Swan Song as written by Robert McCammon then I will join you in agreement that it would be rightly awesome if it was ever made into a movie. Though in order for it to become a movie it will have to be filmed as a trilogy. If a movie would be too constricting a format I could easily see HBO or Showtime adapting it as a season-long mini-series.

Buttery Lungs

290293 Potch
666 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Indeed that is what I meant. Nice to know someone else thought it was amazing!
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It would be quite epic to see on the screen the Army of Excellence on the move. That would make all the Mad Max movies pale in comparison.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Media All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: