Suikoden Ugly and Illegal Kosher Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Religion in sports

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sailor Sexy

Mikan weeps for Brady

246380 Potch
175 Soldiers
50 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:43 pm    Post subject: Religion in sports Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I was watching ESPN the other night, and the brought up a point that I found interesting. It seems that increasingly, more and more athletes are bringing God onto the field/court. I'm wondering what people think of athletes bringing their faith to the forefront of the sport?

Personally, I'm starting to get fairly annoyed by it. It's not because I don't think athletes shouldn't believe in God or something. Far from it. If you're Christian, Muslim, Jew, whatever, have at it. I'm not going to say someone is better because they believe in this that or the other. What I find to be silly is that these people seem to think that whatever god they believe in actually cares so much about the sport they're playing that he'll pick favorites. I mean, if you have two very religious people playing on opposing sides, and they're both praying to god that they'll win, does that mean that god was more of a fan of Team A than Team B?

I guess I just don't understand why people try to be all phony humble and can't just say that they earned their abilities on their own and no deity is responsible for their success.

I'll admit, it does seem like this is more of a Christian thing, since I don't recall too many athletes praising Allah for allowing them to score a touchdown. But, what are other people's opinions on this?

~Uguu!~
RedCydranth

Ice Dragons

3650446 Potch
194 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think that anyone who believes that God or Allah or The Flying Spaghetti Monster cares who wins any particular game is misguiding their faith. I know of a few really Christian football players who openly pray and lead prayer circles before games, but they don't pray for victory, they pray to God so that he or she (in case their diety is female) may watch over the players in each game. Derek Anderson of the Cleveland Browns is a devout follower of the Christian faith and openly prays for his team's health and safety before and during each game. I know there are a number of players who pray to their God after getting a touchdown. Most of them are thanking God for their ability, the opportunity and thanking him/her in general. I don't see anything wrong with that. I do find the phrase "I thank God for this win" very wrong, because it wasn't God who won you that game.us From my Christian veiwpoint I see that as a person being ignorant enough to believe that God chooses sides.

In baseball we see a large percentage of players doing a sign of the cross before each batting appearance. This sort of thing never bothers anybody.us Why does these prayer endzone practices be such a hard pill to swallow. I don't see these displays as anything negative. It is in the Constitution that we as citizens have the freedom to worship however we please, so it is unconstitutional to try and prohibit these displays.

Religion is a fine line with many people, and I don't know why. Almost every religion has some sort of scripture saying something along the lines of tolerating other people no matter how different. Yet we see these religious advocates who try and denounce those who profess their faith openly. This is a very similar argument as the Merry Christmas one. I see no harm in players saying prayers on the field and thanking God for their abilities, opportunity and success. Reggie White was one of the most religious football players in recent memory.us He was always the first to an injured player, teammate or not, christian or not, and he'd pray for that player's wellbeing. More times than not other players, from both teams, would joun him in prayer. Nobody, not a single fan, player or coach had ever mentioned anything negative about White's open religious practices. Many of the injured players thanked Reggie afterwards. So, if nobody besides some board journalists at ESPN care, I don't think its a big deal. I haven't seen the broadcast in question, but if its on any time soon, I'm sure I will. I watch a lot of ESPN when I'm bored. I can understand being annoyed with it if it was something overly dramatic, but it is usually a kneel for a few seconds, its not like he grabs the microphone and announces the prayers to all in attendance. As long as these "displays" don't become elaborate and waste time, why care? I actually like the fact these players thank someone else for their successes and not inflate their egos with how good they are. I find T. O. and "Ocho Cinqo" and those like him more rude than those who pray. But, that is just old fashioned me.

Sailor, I think that its a very Christian belief that all of a person's success can be somehow relayed to God. Christians believe that the spirit of Jesus is with them, aiding them. In their eyes God has helped them, so they thank him. Being born in America, being gifted as an athlete as well as numerous personal things are often believed to be gifts from God. So, they aren't being pompous, they're being faithful to their beliefs. Who are we to tell them otherwise?

Fantasy Football (NFL) Sign Ups in Sports Forum!
FabledHero

17817 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's mainly Christian because there are far fewer Muslims or Catholics. But if you remember Hakeem Olajuwon would always thank God for the opportunity and making it possible for him etc. But yeah I agree I think it's pretty ignorant of them to think God would choose sides. But they have the right to believe what they want, unfortunately they choose to believe ancient myths.
Fundertaker

Mountain Stallion Riders

336708 Potch
200 Soldiers
14 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Most Brazillian football (soccer) players tend to have shirts under their equipment ones saying things like "I love Jesus" and the sort. Some event prey before the game starts. Others dedicate their goals to a saint (I remember this one Polish player (Myelckarski) who always dedicated his goals to a saint, who I can't remember). If you ask me, it's a demonstration of their faith in doing what they do best.

This post is officially Fundertaker Approved
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

While I'm all for freedom of religion it does bother me that some players think they won a game or made a great play because God, Allah or Jeebus was on their side. It's similar to the notion that during wars the clergymen of both sides in the conflict will pray to their God to help them in battle. I would think God had more important things to deal with than care whether a wide receiver, running back or quarterback scored a touchdown and was praising him/her for being there for them.

I understand some players do praise Jesus or God for granting them their talent, but more and more players seem to invoke the Almighty for helping them win. While it's their right it doesn't mean it's not tasteless or even idiotic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: