Suikoden Ugly and Informational Kraalesque Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

The Suikoden and Cowboy Bebop Connection

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Admiral Ackbar

Seekers of Hawke's Hot Stuff

1008758 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: The Suikoden and Cowboy Bebop Connection Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I haven't posted about this mystery in what feels like years. This is something I brought up at the old forums (Suikosource I think?) and it has yet to be solved. I'm putting it out here again in the hopes that someone can find an answer. The mystery concerns a certain background song that is played in both Suikoden 1 and the Cowboy Bebop anime series.

The song in question is heard in Suikoden 1 during both Marco's coin-and-cup game and George's card-matching game. It is also heard in Cowboy Bebop during all of the Big Shot scenes with Punch and Judy (Big Shot is the over-the-top Western-style show in which bounties are revealed). The song in the background is the same as far as I can tell. Anyone with a Cowboy Bebop DVD can confirm this for me.

This presents a mystery. Suikoden was made first (1996), so it can be assumed that Cowboy Bebop (which was released in 1998 I believe) borrowed the song. The song appears on the Suikoden 1 soundtrack, but I cannot confirm if it is on the Cowboy Bebop soundtrack(s) since it may use a different title, and I don't own the soundtrack(s). I assume that the song was composed by the Suikoden 1 composer Miki Higashino, but it could also have been made by Tappi Iwase, Taniguchi, Mayuko Kageshita or Hiroshi Tamawari, who were also (partially) involved in the Suikoden 1 soundtrack. Are any of these people involved in the Cowboy Bebop series?

Suikoden is made by Konami, while Cowboy Bebop is made by Sunrise, a subsidiary of Namco Bandai. Aren't these two rivals in the marketplace? I'm not sure if it matters, but I wouldn't think Konami would let a rival company use something they have rights to, even if it is an annoying background song no one will recognize.

Do any of you know anything about this? Any information would help.

^Actual quote!
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I thought that song was a common banjo song composed ages ago.

The Sunwall Army

83872 Potch
100 Soldiers
25 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think your right about it being the same tone, but I don't think it really has anything to do with one another. Kind of like the song in the beginning of the animated Robin Hood being the Hamster Dance.

"If you beat a dead horse vigorously enough, it's constant twitching and juttering will at least give an assembulence of activity." ~Yahtzee, from The Escapist:Zero Punctuation
eXistence of Fly

Pointy Sticks & Ponies!

1151694 Potch
7700 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Admiral Ackbar wrote:

The song in question is heard in Suikoden 1 during both Marco's coin-and-cup game and George's card-matching game. It is also heard in Cowboy Bebop during all of the Big Shot scenes with Punch and Judy (Big Shot is the over-the-top Western-style show in which bounties are revealed). The song in the background is the same as far as I can tell. Anyone with a Cowboy Bebop DVD can confirm this for me.

With the Suikoden theme, are you talking about Joy Joy Time? Because if so then the song isn't the same much like renditions of old songs aren't the same, they might follow the same general line of tune but other than that they would differ in their actual tone, pacing and everything.

For the record, since it took me a while to find it, the Cowboy Bebop tune name is titled "American Money" for some weird reason.

Quote:
This presents a mystery. Suikoden was made first (1996), so it can be assumed that Cowboy Bebop (which was released in 1998 I believe) borrowed the song. The song appears on the Suikoden 1 soundtrack, but I cannot confirm if it is on the Cowboy Bebop soundtrack(s) since it may use a different title, and I don't own the soundtrack(s). I assume that the song was composed by the Suikoden 1 composer Miki Higashino, but it could also have been made by Tappi Iwase, Taniguchi, Mayuko Kageshita or Hiroshi Tamawari, who were also (partially) involved in the Suikoden 1 soundtrack. Are any of these people involved in the Cowboy Bebop series?

Short answer is no they don't appear on any of the soundtracks, and by any I mean the entire discography associated with the anime. Production of the musical score was pretty much overseen by Yoko Kanno who aslo participated as the front for her band in the Seatbelts who appear on most of the soundtracks. Since there's about 15 cds to go through, it would be rather easier if you could find a name for the tune from it that you want to compare to the Suikoden theme.

Yoko Kanno however also does Video Game music, so it's not completely improbable that musicians cross over despite who licensed the product, since she has helped compose music in the Nobunaga series.

And finally, the themes are relatively the same however American Money is a fraction slower paced than Joy Joy Time, instruments were also replaced outside of the banjo between the two versions, so while they are the same concept and theme, the execution is different.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: