Suikoden Unique and Illegal Keystone Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Hellboy II: The Golden Army

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Hellboy II: The Golden Army Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

yes, one of the movies I am eagerly waiting for come 2008 has just had it's first trailer released. Guillermo Del Toro has become one of my favorite filmmakers since I first his interesting take on the vampire-myth with Cronos. His excellent dark fantasy fable turn with Pan's Labyrinth solidified him in my eyes as one of the best directors currently working. His first foray into Mike Mignola's Hellboy universe was very good but not great. With all character and world introductions out of the way I have a feeling Hellboy II: The Golden Army will be levels better than its predecessor.

This sequel really goes deep into all the folklore and mythology themes the Hellboy stories have been known for. Celtic folklore and old world fairy tales and pre-Christian gods will abound in the sequel. The film will also include a version of the sidhe who are the fairy folk of Gaelic folklore. These are the fairy folk who many fantasy writerd have based their High Elfs and Dark Elfs races on. They're not little winged fairies but human-sized and one of the main influences for Tolkien's own Sindar and Noldor elfs.

Hellboy II: The Golden Army trailer

Here's Doug Jones (who played the Faun and the Pale Man in Pan's Labyrinth) as one of the many different characters in Hellboy II. This particular creature is aptly named: Angel of Death.

Last edited by Tullaryx on Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I agree with you. The first Hellboy movie was alright. Enjoyable, but not wonderful. I'm excited for this one, definitely, though. del Toro is one of the most interesting film makers these days-- so any new picture by him is something to look out for.

From the trailer I can see that his visual style really does still remain impressive. However, it doesn't really do much to get me excited for the movie. I'll probably end up catching it on DVD at the end of next year.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
iscalio

1681589 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I love the Hellboy comics, but the movies were average (both Hellboy 1 and the two cartoon movies del Toro made). Hellboy 1 was fun to watch, but I prefer the comic versions of those characters that were changed in the movie (Abe Sapien and Karl Kroenen for example).

The trailer for Hellboy 2 looks pretty good. I'm happy that Selma Blair and Arrested Development's Jeffrey Tambor are back to reprise their respective roles. And of course I'm happy that Mignola worked together with del Toro to write the story.
Kikito

Order of the Absolute

2953355 Potch
65 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I like the trailer, and from the looks of it, it's looking like it's gonna be a more intense movie but very much in the style of the first one. That was the vibe I got, at least. I'll probably catch it in the theater when it comes out, as I do most of these movies anyways.
Tony Stark

War Machine

536068 Potch
250 Soldiers
1600 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I was frankly unimpressed with the first Hellboy movie. I love comic books, and mostly will give comic book movies a shot and the benefit of the doubt whenever I can, but the first movie, I felt, was boring and contrived.

This one looks like it's taking a new direction, as Tull pointed out, going toward much more what the comic series was famous for, so I will try to give this one the benefit of the doubt, but getting the bad taste out of my mouth from the first one will be difficult. Though I am excited to see Jeffery Tambor returning, Selma Blair I almost always find to be unimpressive and the original role by Ron Perlman, to me, left something to be desired. Micky Rourke would likely be able to play the character much better, but maybe I just love Rourke.

Is David Hyde Pierce still voicing Abe Sapien?

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Tony Stark wrote:
Is David Hyde Pierce still voicing Abe Sapien?

No, Doug Jones will do body and voice acting for Abe Sapien. He did a fine job voicing the character for the two animated dvd releases and sounds eerily just like David Hyde Pierce.

You may actually be in the minority when it comes to Perlman not being right as Hellboy. The first time I heard the movie was going to be made and producers were beginning the casting process only Ron Perlman came to my mind as the perfect Hellboy. I mean he already looks like him without the make-up prosthetics. :)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Media All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: