Suikoden Unique and Informational Kosher Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:37 am    Post subject: James Cameron's Avatar Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well folks, by the end of this year it will have become a full ten years since James Cameron released his last theatrical movie, Titanic. Titanic, while immense popular, and a generally terrific movie was definitely a break in tradition from his earlier movies-- even though it did share the theme of 'water' which is a very apparent theme in some of his earlier movies.

To the point, his upcoming feature film, Avatar, seems to be a great return to his science fiction roots. To be honest, it has been a very long time since I have seen an absolutely terrific science fiction movie, and I certainly hope I'm not overly psyching myself up about this movie due to this fact.

The movie is to be filmed using an immense combination of real world footage, and tons of greenscreen virtual worlds, and CG characters. The plot is largely unrevealed, but from what I understand, the main character is injured in an accident, and loses the use of their body-- and thus they are forced to take control of an "avatar" to carry out their life functions. The story takes place on a distant world which he is being forced to settle it seems. That's as much as I know.

The most interesting part is the vast improvements in digital motion capture and digital environment rendering. You can read all about that on the wiki page here

Needless to say I am thoroughly excited about this movie, however it's unfortunate that I have to say that this movie will not be reaching us until 2009! :( Fortunately, though, Cameron is also planning to release a Battle Angel (Alita) movie, based off the terrific manga in the same year-- however I wouldn't be surprised if that gets pushed back a year, or even two. However it does mean there is plenty to be keeping an eye out for from this acclaimed director, even though he hasn't had a theatrical release in a decade.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
retrospect.

Cosby You! Black Entertainer

102725 Potch
420 Soldiers
30 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

As much as I hate James Cameron, and as much as Titanic was a terrible piece of shit, I like grandiose sci fis.

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

One little detail Gilbort forgot to add is that Avatar will be using the same 3D technique Robert Zemeckis used for Beowulf. So those who end up seeing Avatar when it comes out will be better served to find an IMAX screen near where they live or at least a movie house which shows digital projection and has 3D glasses.

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Indeed-- and this is hardly the 3D technique of yesteryear, if you've seen any of the recent 3D features you'll know exactly what I mean. No headaches caused, and it actually is quite realistic an effect.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

From some of the bits and pieces I've read of the rough draft of the script it looks like Avatar has themes lifted from sci-fi classics like Forever War and Stranger In A Strange Land.

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah. The story is something Cameron has been toying with ever since he finished with Terminator 2, but thought the technology of the time was not adequate enough to produce it at that time. Stranger in a Strange Land is perhaps one of the all time science fiction classics, by one of the true masters of the genre-- so I wouldn't be surprised if some of the ideas are borrowed, as often happens with science fiction and fantasy. As I said before, it's been ages since I've a great science fiction movie, so my anticipation for something with this much promise is quite high.

retrospect.

Cosby You! Black Entertainer

102725 Potch
420 Soldiers
30 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, hopefully it doesn't turn out as shite as Beowulf did.

The All-Star Rock n' Breakdance Electronic Band from Shenzhen

237023 Potch
110 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This is great. Now I have a surefire way to get my Avatarz project off the ground. It follows a bunch of internet avatars as they duke it out over forums and intrastellar space. Spelled with a z, because z is so awesome, Zooey Deschanel made it the first letter of her name.

Fear our Vagueness.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Sailor Sexy

Mikan weeps for Brady

246380 Potch
175 Soldiers
50 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, I'm not looking forward to this nearly as much as I am the Battle Angel movie, but that's also a big reason why I'll watch this. I'll have to see if he can impress me after that crapfest that was Titanic, and if he does a good job with this movie, then I'll have higher hopes for Battle Angel. As it stands, I'm only cautiously optimistic that he can pull it off.

~Uguu!~
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Media All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: