Suikoden Unique and Illusional Kriegspiel Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Why are there different races in Suikoden?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Backstory, History & Plot Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FabledHero

17817 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think the creators when making the new Suikoden games see particular geographical reasons that make it believable and necessary to create new races. If Lizards evolved to live in caves, isn't there a good chance beavers could do the same in the rivers? It's kinda like the opposite of our world, only we humans evolved enough to carry out complex thoughts and ideas. Suikoden is saying, some of the main creatures in the world also have attained that higher degree of evolution.
ferrouslupusrex

Ferrouslupusrex

563 Potch
673 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Obviously because of geographical locations some species would develop that are specifically designed to thrive on the conditions in the area (humidity, temperature, etc) like the beavers in a river based society (although I wanted gators), lizards in the open plains (area was perfect because lizards are known to bask in the sun) and fishmen in kirov (hahahahahaha… this is just one of the idiocy of suiko1. Don’t believe that there were fishmen in suiko1? Play it and go to Kirov, you will encounter there a monster called a dagon.).
Archy

PRAISE BE TO... GROOOWL RAINING BLOOD

506257 Potch
0 Soldiers
800 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Why?

Because humans are boring. Let's face it - they are. They're there every day, you talk to them, you interact with them... don't you get tired of humans?

Different races are also good because of the variety they add. In storylines, you can make a "superiority racial complex" possible, as shown in most of the Elves. You can have interesting scenarios with them.

Celes Tilly wrote:
If one of you were to ask, "Celes, what is Twisted Sister?" I would tell you God's honest truth.

"Butt rock."
Patriarch

Queendom Nomads

15629 Potch
149 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The main reason they have races is to give the game more diversity and a fantasy style setting like other games of its type.

The main flaw though is that they are almost never important to the plot in a large enough scale for us to care.

Each time the "race" is recruited into the fold no one cares about them afterward.
Roderick

1677 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have never liked alot of the race found in suikoden. In fact, i dont even like the old school race (elves, dwarves, etc). But I guess it adds more flavor to the story. The Duck race from III was pretty cool. However, the Beaver race and Cat race was a horrible concept. Even the character designs were lame. In addition, there was so many of them too to recruit. :shock:

If their going to add more lame races, they should add lobster people. Good Times!
Falcon Critical

Haia's Star Pupil

678159 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
If their going to add more lame races, they should add lobster people. Good Times!

And call one Zoidberg perhaps?

This is a pretty good question really, I mean unlike many fantasy games you're not out there "saving the world" or anything so drastic, it takes a very real set of wars and a single timeline and makes a compelling story. So why do they have/need these other races? I guess they got stuck doing it after the first two games.

The first game for example had elves/dwarves and kobolds. These are all pretty standard races for any fantasy game and they didn't stretch the definition of them a great deal. Suikoden 2 expanded it only a little, they kept an elf, kept kobolds and added wingers and those flying squirrels. Still a largely human cast.

After the massive success/popularity of Suikoden 2, I guess they decided that these extra races was one of the things that made Suikoden games fun and stand out, so they started going more and more overboard - There were only two kobolds in Suikoden 3, then none ever since... instead they've tried to reinvent the wheel and create a new amusing/cute race (or three) every game since, to the point where its almost got out of control.

Personally I'd like to see them stop just creating new races willy nilly and actually expand on a couple of these extra races, like showing something of the relationship between kobolds and nay-kobolds, or actually allowing us to see/control elves for once.

It seems that for a start they were in there to add variety and a bit of a fantasy theme to the game, but as the series progressed it became something the series was known for and therefore almost trapping the developers into continuing the trend.

Would the tone of the game have seemed darker if everyone was human in Suikoden 1? If the people that they were trying to burn with that mirror were just some nature enthusiasts like the Alma Kinan girls? If the kobolds that were enslaved by windy were just a nomadic culture of people? Perhaps the different races made such actions seem less horrific, or even just the fact that it adds a fantasy element stops people from considering the reality of this kind of thing happening.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Backstory, History & Plot Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: