Suikoden United and Irenic Knowledge Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

The Webcomic Thread

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boogeyman

The Serial Peacemakers

795163 Potch
0 Soldiers
21927 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: The Webcomic Thread Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I did a quick search for a thread on this and I was surprised that I could not find one. Anyway here is a place to discuss one of my favorite things on the internet, Webcomics. I read dozens of them regularly and I am always on the look out for new ones to read.

So let's start talking about some of them. I figure I'll throw a few conversation starters out there and see where it goes.

Penny Arcade http://www.penny-arcade.com - The big one. The most popular webcomic of all time and one of the most important voices for gamers on the internet. They update consistently, they are always hilarious, and they are, as stated, a bastion for gamers. Developers listen to them, they organize charities, and if you are a gamer or a geek and do not read them you really need to start.

PvP http://www.pvponline.com/ - You can't talk about Penny Arcade without PvP. The second most popular webcomic out there, and one of the longest running. But seriously am I the only one who is about done with this comic? I honestly do not see the appeal in it anymore. The jokes have all been done, the story lines are stale and predictable, and to be quite honest I'm not sure why I am even reading it anymore. I can't be the only one who feels this way.

Ctl-Alt-Del http://www.cad-comic.com - One of the other big comics out there. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't really like this comic. To me it follows a pattern that is done much better by some other comics and there isn't a whole lot to set it apart. It has it's occasional charms but I feel like I am watching the same scene over and over again at time.

Least I Could Do http://www.leasticoulddo.com/ - Probably the most widely read comic after the first three I mentioned. One of the rare gems that does not require you to be a video gamer to appreciate. It's another one that is consistently funny and it is actually accompanied by some real character development. Check it out if you haven't already.

LFG Comic http://lfgcomic.com/ - Not one of the big ones but one of my favorites. This is a gem for anyone who loves fantasy. It's done by the same team as LICD. This is more of an overarching story rather than a daily gag strip but it is still very funny. I think that everyone that has joined a site like this would probably appreciate LFG.

Anyway those are some to talk about or check out. But please what do you all read? Any little gems the rest of us should be aware of? Are you unsatisfied with how PvP is going as well? Let's talk!

We're so bad and mean
We make nightmares out of dreams
We're the Spaceballs!

Ley

Username

441125 Potch
0 Soldiers
550446 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Exterminatus Now has a few in jokes, but for the most part it good solid humour.

The Noob while not having the greatest of art, is one of the web comics I've read the longest, and genereally gets a laugh out of me.

The Order of the Stick, and Erfworld Are two of my favourite comics...ever. The fact you left them off the original list just goes to show how deprived you are.

The Perry Bible Fellowship is so out there it's hilarious. 'Nuff said.
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It ain't a webcomic but everyone needs a good dose of Your Webcomic is Bad and You Should Feel Bad in their lives, even if it is on hiatus.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Boogeyman

The Serial Peacemakers

795163 Potch
0 Soldiers
21927 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The Order of the Stick and Erfworld are in fact on my reading list but I didn't include them in the opening salvo since I just wanted to throw out the biggest ones readership wise to try and get some discussion going. Another small gem I have recently found is The Goodship Chronicles http://www.goodshipchronicles.com/index.php, this is a new comic that started in July so theres not a whole lot in the archives but it is really good sci fi humor. It doesn't take too long to catch up on it but if you like Futurama you will love this one (the captain is not exactly Zap Brannigan but you can tell the author used him as an influence).

We're so bad and mean
We're the Spaceballs!

Shad

Midnight

4252503 Potch
200 Soldiers
38 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My signature/avatar combination right now is from the web comic Sluggy Freelance. I followed it on and off from about 1998 until 2004, and I'm sure sooner or later I'll get back in to it again. Web comics don't typically do it for me, but Sluggy's the exception. Though every day's comic has a punchline, Pete takes himself just slightly serious enough to work some pretty awesome stories in to the whole thing too. He'll take a ridiculous concept like (see below) man eating kittens, and somehow make it just as exciting as it is silly. If you're going to give it a try check out Chapter 19: K I T T E N, or Chapters 37-39: Holiday Wars. Mind you the latter set requires some back knowledge of the plot and characters.
Delsaber

New Gaien Wildcards

132495 Potch
1660 Soldiers
2625 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The rather small and dwindling list of webcomics I can actually stand include, but is not necessarily limited to:

Get Your War On - While not entirely web-based, you'd be very lucky indeed to find it in a print publication near you (although collected volumes do exist, two of which currently sit on my bookshelf.) Think of Doonesbury with a hundred times the vitriol and far dirtier language.

Nothing Nice to Say - Mitch Clem's greatest webcomic. If you're into punk rock and have access to the internet, and therefore this post, chances are you already know about Mitch and his work. If not, check it out. If you're not a punk, you might not immediately understand all the references, but it's probably accessible enough (or at least moreso than Questionable Content, its indie cousin.) This is probably my favourite comic of the last few years, online or off.

San Antonio Rock City - Mitch Clem's second greatest webcomic. More of a slice-of-life deal (goddamn I hate that term) which tends to go neglected as NN2S gets active, and vice-versa.

• The aforementioned Questionable Content - This one is kinda flirting with the chopping block for a number of reasons. One, indie rock isn't really my thing, despite my eternal love/lust for Emily Haines. Two, it tends to be far too glib for my taste. Joss Whedon would read this and black-out. That's too glib. Every once and it a while it stumbles on a great punch, but it's a pretty rare occurrence. Three, its story isn't really going anywhere and, at over a thousand comics with no signs of slowing down, probably won't get anywhere for a long time. Chances are it'll be hard as hell to get into for that reason alone.

Three Panel Soul - Matt & Ian's phoenix which rose from the ashes of the late, great Mac Hall (which was the spiritual precursor to Applegeeks, just without the lame-ass storyline.) Three Panel Soul feels more like Mitch Clem's Rock City in format with an occasional return to Mac Hall style for nostalgia. One of my favourites.

VG Cats - Eh, I still read it, but its day is just about done, in my opinion. In terms of industry commentary, it's nowhere even close to Penny Arcade or the other big names. Artistically, it ripped-off Ian McConville's style for ages, without the proficiency of Applegeek's Hawk, and the overuse of furry characters turns me off. Does better when it's completely in-universe (such as pretty much whenever they drop the damned cats) but still remains the weakest link of my webcomic bookmarks.

xkcd - A little hard to get into, especially when it trots-out the math humour, but hits much more often than it misses.
Boogeyman

The Serial Peacemakers

795163 Potch
0 Soldiers
21927 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

So DC Comics has entered the foray with http://www.zudacomics.com/ .

Anyway basically its a DC sponsored comics competition and the winner every month becomes an ongoing series. It just launched on the 30th apparently with a whopping 25,000 pageviews on their opening day. A webcomic that supports its owner by itself usually gets at least 200,000. I haven't really looked around it yet but I thought it was interesting enough to mention.

Also some of the Blank Label Comics crew has officially left to join up with Scott Kurtz (PvP) to create Halfpixel Comics. While Blank Label is more of a creative community Halfpixel is going to be more of a business venture from what I understand. I dunno if anyone besides me finds this interesting but I figure I would throw it out there.

Anyway here are a few more good ones.

http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php - More like a traditional comic book. Girl Genius is a very big Steampunk project from Phil Foglio. It's got a couple years of archives under it's belt and it's a great story. Basically it follows Agatha Heterodyne as she finds that she is the daughter and heir to the world's most notorious family legacy of both heroes and villains. It doesn't always have a gag but it is often funny and it updates 3x a week without fail. Probably one of my highest recommendations.

http://schlockmercenary.com/index.html - Probably my favorite webcomic. It's a 7 day a week sci-fi space opera. It is primarily a humor strip but it has a big plot and anyone who appreciates good sci fi should take some time to read it. The author is the type who likes to get his sciency details to at least sound correct (they may be totally correct for all I know but I really couldn't tell the difference. To me they at least sound informed) Essentially it follows the mercenary group Tagon's Toughs and their adventures through space. I own all the books for this one. The artwork is not the best but it has it's own charm.

http://www.starslipcrisis.com/index.shtml - I figured I'd mention my other favorite sci-fi strip too. Starslip Crisis is run by Kurtz's business partner Kris Straub. Much less technical than Schlock Mercenary this one is also a lot more off the wall funny. It follows the adventures of the Fuseli which is a museum that is on a converted Luxury Battle Cruiser. The Captain is also the curator, the pilot is a former space pirate who is usually drunk, and the first mate is an alien who looks a bit like a praying mantis but happens to have some of the most complex and hilarious biology ever (his skin secretes ritalin and when he is hungry he will self replicate and eat his "clone"). Also for any of you who like art or visit art museums they do include some hilarity in direct relation to the art world. Updates M-F.

We're so bad and mean
We're the Spaceballs!

Tendou Souji

CLIMAX JUMP!

758170 Potch
2000 Soldiers
2225 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My favorite: Dr. McNinja, a doctor who's also a ninja.
Shrew

The All-Star Rock n' Breakdance Electronic Band from Shenzhen

237023 Potch
110 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Scarygoround- A lovely looking comic which meanders about pointlessly stumbling upon hilarity as it goes. It might take some time to get into, but it's worth it.

Overcompensating- Semi-mad comic ramblings. It's fun, but I really really really really really miss this guy's other comic, Wigu. It hit a sustained high note of hilarity and held it for practically forever, and was less prone to bouts of liberal whinyness. Look through the archives if you have time.

Dinosaur Comics- Sort of like the essence of wit. This is perhaps the most glorious thing man has yet to experience.

Dresden Codak- A very pretty comic that is often awesome even when you can only understand half of it.

Shortpacked- Mostly nerd jokes and a parody of your childhood, but with a fun set of characters. Unfortunately has an obsession with drama, which can be funny when it approaches it with a self-mocking tone, and the most terrible maudlin sentimental melodramatic tripe you've ever seen when it doesn't.

That's all for now.

Fear our Vagueness.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Timbo

The Wandering Prophets

410837 Potch
300 Soldiers
835 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Shrew, discovering Dinosaur comics from your link made me a happier and better person. You should win a Nobel Prize for humanitarian service.
Rune Walsh

Order of the Gelid Wind

105159 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Let's see, some that weren't posted here...

Fanboys: A fairly generic gaming comic, even mentioning themselves ripping off Penny Arcade. They went through some awfully boring times some months ago, but they're back better than ever.

White Ninja: The best, most mind-numbingly nonsensical comic ever. You laugh at these and you just can't understand why the hell you're doing so.

Goblins: A great D&D based comic. They started as a mainly joke-themed webcomic, then transformed into a more serious adventuring comic. There are still jokes, but they're not dominant. But what the hell, it's still great.

I'd mention more, but since Least I Could Do, Order of the Stick, CAD and VGCats were already posted, I'll rest my case.

Tired of beating up invading aliens? Call Dad and get some rest!
Falcon Critical

Haia's Star Pupil

678159 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I can't believe noone's mentioned Cyanide and Happiness, it's seriously the webcomic that gets me laughing almost every strip - a lot of the time its just so wrong you can't help but laugh.

I also draw a webcomic, but y'know its nothing flash.

The All-Star Rock n' Breakdance Electronic Band from Shenzhen

237023 Potch
110 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Crud!
I forgot the totally most awesome comic in my first post. Wonderella is the most wonderful comic of comics of everything. I was looking through the archives to find an example of its magnificence, but then I realized I wanted to post half of the whole thing. So I picked one at random

There's not a whole lot at the moment, so you can probably breeze through the archives in an hour or so. It is infinitely worth it, even if you never wondered what Wonder Woman would be like if she were a vain psychotic party girl.

Fear our Vagueness.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Boogeyman

The Serial Peacemakers

795163 Potch
0 Soldiers
21927 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Here is a new gem I have found. Based on your previous recommendations I have to say that you will definitely like it Shrew. It's set in a hospital but the humor is all it's own. Random, terrible, and awesome. Give it a read. If you don't like it in the first two or three then you won't like it but if you do it is the same sort of humor throughout. At least give it a chance. NSFW btw. http://www.lucid-tv.com/index.html

We're so bad and mean
We're the Spaceballs!

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Media All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: