Suikoden Urgent and Informational Kriegspiel Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

J.K. Rowling's The Tales of Beedle the Bard

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject: J.K. Rowling's The Tales of Beedle the Bard Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Here it comes folks, J.K. Rowlings first complimentary book to the Harry Potter series since the close of the final book. It contains the five wizard fairy tales referenced throughout the final book.

Interestingly enough, only 7 copies of the book are being produced. They are hand written and hand illustrated by J.K. Rowling herself and well be auctioned off for children's charities.

If I read the article correctly, the book will be able to be viewed online a few days before the books are auctioned, as the main selling factor is the rarity, not the actual words themselves. The article assumes that eventually the books will be released to everyone, possibly still for charity. Either way, this is pretty cool. I'm still hoping for that Dumbledore biography!

The Tales of Beedle the Bard

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well for me personally, I'm rather sick of "only seven copies are being produced" or similar number for whatever other titles in the world (if any). I think it's a cheap way to make money for charity. Sure charity is all good and dandy, but why can't they mass-produce it, make gazillion dollars out of it, donate (some of) them to charity, and then make like seven of "JK Rowling's own personalized copies" to auction for even more money for charity.

To me, they should mass-release it first (and no, not just on the intarweb .. I *hate* reading too long stuff on the internet), then release/auction the special ones.

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I imagine that they will eventually release it on a mass type of scale for charity (perhaps), but for now-- they can make even more money on the auction by making the books nearly one of a kind. The fact that it's a hand written and illustrated copy by Rowling herself definitely adds to the price, too.

But yeah, as I said, I would be very shocked if this book did not get released on a mass-level eventually.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Gil, it's exactly why being hand-written would still fetch a lot of money even if they are released after the mass-production instead. Of course being "first seven" would add even more value to the book, but I can't see the additional value to eclipse the profit that can be made if they were to mass-produce it first and release them before the seven special ones.

Assuming that the story would be released on the internet before the books were auctioned, that would decrease the value of the books anyways. I just think that they should mass produce it first, then do the seven ones.

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, some writers like to do things in this way. I know that Stephen King, Clive Barker and a couple of other horror writers with a huge fan base will release a book a couple months early in limited edition format. It would be bound in expensive leather, written on special parchment (not human skin though that would be nice) and with a special short story just for that edition. The mass-produced version will be out months later.

I don't mind Rowling's way of releasing this book. If this is how she wants to raise money for a favorite charity then it's her right as the writer and owner of the property to do so. I mean if the book never finds a mass-produced version then I'm sure people will be angry but if there is a mass-produced book down the line then people will buy it whether they're pissed off they didn't get the first printing.

Plus, if the book itself is handwritten then it will most likely have errors that hasn't been proofread. This is the reason why mass-produced novels take time between the time it's finished to when it's actually published. I've bought novels in ARC (Advanced Reader's Copy) form which comes out months ahead of the published novels and while I'm happy I get a proofread printing there's the catch that errors haven't been corrected.

Again, it seems people are more pissed off that Rowling decided to do something her way and not the way fans want her to do things. On this I will always be on the artists, writer and IP owners side of things. If people get so pissed off about it then guess what don't buy the book when it is finally released to the mass market.

Defender of Highland

371188 Potch
2170 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

To be fair to J.K Rowling, she is entitled to her right to produce a certain amount of hand-written copies to raise proceedings for the charity, since she is the author of the book. On the other hand, I'd have to say that mass-producing it would probably raise up more money in the first place, so I guess I'll have to say that I think her move is a bit strange if charity is her only concern. I don't have a problem with this, as long as there is a way to get hold of the text so that I can read it myself.

Quote:

Assuming that the story would be released on the internet before the books were auctioned, that would decrease the value of the books anyways. I just think that they should mass produce it first, then do the seven ones.

That depends on what you're talking about. If the books were to be purchased solely for its collector's value, the story wouldn't even factor in, since they would be bought solely because of how rare and unique they are. In that case, I think that making them sooner or later shouldn't have much of an effect on the price, though making them first may be of more benefit to draw curiousity.

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Also, it's possible that the publishers wouldn't allow her to publish the book as a purely fund-raising thing for mass release. There are a lot of different things to take into consideration. I think most of the big spenders will be doing it for the collector's value, and not for the story, though.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Media All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: