Suikoden Uncanny and Informational Kraalesque Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

What's in a name?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is question two out of line?
Yes, you must be gay.
10%
 10%  [ 3 ]
No, it's actually interesting!
89%
 89%  [ 25 ]
Total Votes : 28

Falcon Critical

Haia's Star Pupil

678159 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 10:20 pm    Post subject: What's in a name? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Okay we have two questions here, the second I have asked on other forums and been abused about, so if you don't like it, then just keep quiet please.

QUESTION ONE:
What does your name(s) mean? use the site if you are unsure:
http://www.babynamesworld.com/names1/baby-name-meaning.html

Nicholas: Victorious People
Edward: Wealthy Guardian

So am I the Wealthy and Victorious guardian of the people ??

QUESTION TWO:
If you were born the opposite gender, what would your name have been? Generally you'll need to ask your parents about this one.

I would have been Emily. I told a friend at work and apparently I look like an Emily too... o_O ... I actually quite like Emily as a name, so I'm wondering if anyone would have had a stinker of a name if they were born different. Technically the younger you are this may be a harder question, 'cos genders can be determined before birth these days...

0 Potch
150 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I belive Kathleen, that being our birth name, means "pure" or something like that...
The sight gives it as "Little Darling," but "pure" is what I've always heard *shrugh*
Or maybe "pure" is Katie? Nya, anyway...

We do know that if we were born a guy our parents would have named us Andrew and called us Drew.
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ryan means "Kingly", Andrew (middle name) means "Valiant" and "Courageous".

Dunno about my name if I was female. A good small-talk question, I suppose.
Edge Riou

Brotherhood of Strife; Fate

311768 Potch
11 Soldiers
724673 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

First name: Brian means strong

Middle name: Gene means Born to nobility (I will probably change my middle name to Diaz soon.)

Last name: not in that site.

If I was female I have absolutely no clue as to what my name would be.

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Last names aren't usually words from other languages, Diaz.
Edge Riou

Brotherhood of Strife; Fate

311768 Potch
11 Soldiers
724673 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, I know, but I think I may have at one time stumbled upon a site where it has all kinds of last names, where they originated and meanings to those names.

Haia's Star Pupil

678159 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If we're expanding this to surnames, see if you can find yours here:
http://www.thetreemaker.com/last-name-meaning.html

... well it seems quite limited actually I'll search for a better site.

http://www.ancestry.com/ - this seems to have a ton of information on family histories, but no really the name as such.

The Executors of Harmonian Order

35712 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I went to that site and I couldnt find my name there so I guess I cant give all that much of an answer as far as this goes. I mean come on now the name Filipe cannot possibly be that rare of a name in this world can it? I mean I know a few people that bare their name just like that but I suppose I cant do much about it. Im almost completely certain that nothing even remotely close to my last name would be found on that other site either anyway. Sigh to have a weird sounding and unique name is a pain some times.

Ebony Moon Knights

981865 Potch
59 Soldiers
60 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

the question isn't 'gay' *an overused and abused word as it is* as someone stated at another site, just odd; my real name has no meaning that i'm aware of, and no, i won't post it *we hates it, yes we does.*

being that i am female, the question is anwered; if i were male, i have absolutely no idea what it would be...
Watari

Lone Wolf

303 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

First name: Joshua (Jehova saves)
Middle name: Thomas (Twins)
Last Name: Osborne (soldier of God)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jurhael

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

First name: Means "Soul" or "White" or "Loving and Kind".
Middle: means "One who carries a spear" or "spear maiden". (I love the meaning of my middle name).
Last: One who cooks

If I were male, I'm pretty sure my name would have been either Virgil Leon or Sydney Edward.
Deleted User 1

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My middle name is Lee and they don't even have it on that site! wtf's up with that, its not THAT uncommon of a middle name...seriously! burgelfrickel!
adrich

14500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Andrew: From the Greek name Andreas, which derives from aner "man" (genitive andros "of a man"). Means "manly".

Another good site for first names is http://www.behindthename.com/

If I were born female I would have been named Stephanie.
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Those looking for Surnames might have some luck with BehindTheSurname.

According to the other surname sites here, my family does not exist. <_<

My first name means "pure" or "lily". Is NOT a a degenitive of another name very close to it, even though just about every name site incorrectly assumes it is and assumes it's pronounced the same. (It's not!) My name is older than that other name, it is even in the bible for pete's sake. (Well, some bibles. Depends on how they word it. *wink*)

That site depresses me. This is the first site I've ever seen that lists my middle name, but it also tells me 55% of people hate it!Of course, these are the people who also like Aiden (or pete's sake, why have the ugly Aiden if you can have the more sensical Hayden?), Madison (You want your child to sound like a town in Wisconsin?), Sydney (Stupid, stupid name for anything BUT a town), or Kaylee ( precocious form of Hailey, and stupidly spelled), so perhaps their opinions should be taken with a dash of salt. They're foolish, though - I love it, and were I not also fond of my first name (and didn't doubt anyone could pronounce it, much less spell it - people can't even spell my 2 syllable name, and my middle name is notably longer) I might even change my name to it. As far as I know it's a family name, and I don't know of a soul outside of us who has ever had it in the past 100 years or so.

Had I been born male, I would have been named Joseph.

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Tenko Star

3128 Potch
112 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My first name, George, is greek for Farmer. Had I been born female, I'd have been named Tina.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: