Suikoden Utopian and Illusional Keystone Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Your predictions for the upcoming MLB Season 2007
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thor McOdin

Stupid Sexy Flanders!

1757439 Potch
4444 Soldiers
4225 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Like hell I am going to let this thread die. I have waited for twelve long years and my Rockies are finally making a push for the playoffs! These lovable mutts have now won 10 consecutive games and trail by one game in the wild card. Even more astonishing is the fact that they are only 2 games behind Arizona for the division lead...and they play them at home after this last game with the Dodgers!

Is this destiny? Is this fate? I have no idea. They may or may not make the playoffs this year, but I am extremely proud of this team. Denver, here's hoping to a postseason that doesn't belong to the Broncos, Avs, or Nuggets.

P.S. Hats off to Red...who somehow managed to get the prognosis on the Rockies season so horribly wrong.

Not all ninja codes are brewed equally. Here at Shinobi, we use the choicest Bavarian hops that are ripened to perfection. One sip and we will have you saying...nothing.
Thor McOdin

Stupid Sexy Flanders!

1757439 Potch
4444 Soldiers
4225 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

...I called it. Oh, man. I called it. Look who is in the World Series! The Colorado Rockies! Oh my God. I can tell you that we are all exploding with joy in these parts. I'm sorry, Red, but I must quote your entire post. I can never live this down after I saw what you wrote:

Quote:
5. Colorado Rockies - You'd think since they have the advantage of the Mile High stadium they'd buck up their batters with power ball hitters but no. Instead they have guys like Kaz Matsui, John Mabry and Steve Finley who are perpetual in the park hitters. Not that those three suck, but in a ballpark like Coors Field you'd think they'd opt for more power hitters. Or at least guys who occasionally pull a hoer out of their tanks. Of the three, none had more than 1 Home Runs last year. Kaz tops the three with 9. But I think they're looking for their power with Helton and Holliday. Regardless of the advantage iof the thin air half of the year, their pitchers will be surrendering more longballs than the Rockies will be slugging out this year. Their rotation of pitchers is as bad as it gets.

1. Holliday may very well be the MVP.
2. Besides Holliday, sluggers include Atkins, Hawpe, Tulowitzki, and Helton. Three of these four players had 100+ RBI's.
3. The tandem of Taveras and Matsui was immaculate.
4. The Rockies' defense IS THE BEST in the league.
5. Lest we forget, the Rox have the best ERA since the All Star break. I would hardly say that is "as bad as it gets."
6. 21 out of 22 games? Yup. They pulled it off. Guess who destroyed teams left and right?

My hat goes off to the Colorado Rockies who defied the odds and made it into the World Series!

In any case, how do you all see this playing out? Who will face the Rox? Is their streak finally going to come to an end? Thoughts!

Not all ninja codes are brewed equally. Here at Shinobi, we use the choicest Bavarian hops that are ripened to perfection. One sip and we will have you saying...nothing.
Tonberry

The Tonberry Eggsperience

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I totally agree with you, Thor. I'm really impressed with the Rockies. I've had a soft spot for this team for quite some time, and I'm thrilled that they will be playing in the World Series this year. They certainly deserve it. In the baseball pool that I participate in yearly, I picked the Rockies for the NL wildcard and also picked them for participation in the NL championship series, but I did not, sadly, have them go on to the World Series. This was mostly luck and hope on my part, but I'm thrilled that it turned out. I really hope that the Rockies can keep this up and take it all.
RedCydranth

Ice Dragons

3650446 Potch
194 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thor, I made that post how long ago? And for the most part, I was right all season. They weren't really thought of being a playoff team until mid September when people were like, "Hey look Colorado isn't mathematically eliminated yet." Also, the collapse of a few teams in the NL completely helped the Rockies make the playoffs. If the Padres had played a little better or if the Mets hadn't undergone the biggest collapse in all baseball history, the Rockies would all be in their arm chairs right now watching the playoffs of their TVs. Colorado squeeked into the playoffs.

I'll give credit where it is due though. The team has done amazing when it counts the most. Going 21 for 22 is simple unheard of, especially in September and October. They took advantage of two failing ball clubs and made the playoffs. They threw a wet blanket on the Phillies who had just as much momentum going into the Playoffs as they did. They shut down the Diamondbacks in just about every way possible. I do give them credit for all that.

I'd completely favor them in the World Series if they didn't have to wait 8 days to do so. Not playing in a real game for 8 days can burn off a lot of momentum. Then when Cleveland (I see no hope for Boston now that they're down 3-1. Beckett might be able to buy them 1 more game, but I don't see a comeback. If it happens, awesome! If not, oh well.) comes into the World Series, they'll only have like 3-5 days rest, and the momentum from beating the Red Sox.

Regardless, the World Series will be a great series. I'll be pulling for the Rockies of Boston doesn't make it. I'm just not a fan of the Cleveland Indians. I can't think of a single player on the roster I care much for. Paul Byrd maybe. Oh, and Kenny Lofton. But the Rockies are a fell good story. I liked them when they were an expansion team. I like them, I do. I'm just highly critical of all teams not from Atlanta, heh.

Troy Tulowitzki is having a huge season too. I really like how this kid is playing. He plays like a veteran. He's calm under pressure, he makes big plays in the infield and he's a very smart batter. I watched a few of the games in the Phillies series and one of the D-Backs ones (I was away for most of it) and he's very intelligent. A lot of rookies just swing and guess early on in their careers. I saw him size up the pitcher, take a few check swings when he was off, not resulting in a strike, and then when he was right line it into left-center. He's got a good head on his shoulders.

I was wrong about their pitching staff, I admit that. They've shown a great deal of control, and their bullpen has come in to do their jobs effectively, something many teams struggle with.

I do hope that they win the World Series, but I won't be surprised if they're humbled by the Indians. Despite that best ERA since the All-Star Break, C.C. Sabathia, Fausto Carmona and Paul Byrd are all having great seasons. And if they manage to get Joe Borowski in there, well, I don't think it'll bode well for the Rox. The NL is a weaker league this year, and both Cleveland and Boston are superior. But that hasn't stopped Colorado yet. I got my fingers crossed.

Fantasy Football (NFL) Sign Ups in Sports Forum!
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I will say that the Rockies seem to be the cool pick to win the series once it begins. But I will agree with Red in that a long wait before they get back on the field may just become a detriment instead of a help. The Rockies don't need the long wait to rest or heal up certain players. I've noticed that teams who've won the series as a Wild-Card team did so without ever having to wait too long between series. These teams also had very good players but having just a couple days in-between series helped keep the momentum going and from getting the players to having to think of whether they got things about their playing need fixing. Best example I could think of was the Florida Marlins when they beat the Yankees a couple years ago.

That Wild-Card team pretty much went through the playoffs without too much of a layover and one could tell that whole team was still pretty amped and wired. It helped that they had some very good young pitching but just like the Rockies they also had everyone in the line-up making some timely hits and providing very good defense behind the young arms on the mound.

I think what scares me about a Cleveland matchup being too much for Colorado is that Cleveland's team is not one-dimensional. They've got very good to outstanding pitching. They could throw out C.C. Sabathia to overpower the Rockies line-up one day then put out Paul Byrd with slower stuff but with better movement and accuracy to get them off-balance. Hell, Carmona does both in having filthy stuff in terms of speed and control. I'm surprised Carmona didn't get more strikeouts during the season than he did with the stuff he has.

Cleveland's lineup also can give an opposing team nightmares with Sizemore and Hafner leading the charge. These two hitters seem to always be left out of any talks of best hitters in the league.

Stupid Sexy Flanders!

1757439 Potch
4444 Soldiers
4225 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I tried getting tickets, but the Rockies' server was flooded. I then tried EBay and things were going smoothly...for about 20 minutes. In any case, my maximum bid was topped in a matter of like 30 seconds. It's actually a blessing, considering the tickets were 4X their face value. After this ordeal, I will gladly watch the game on TV.

Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Is it too late for me to predict that the Red Sox will win the World Series. Ahahahaha, I'm loving this.

Dustin Pedroia = AL Rookie of the Year.
Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I totally think Jacoby Ellsbury should have gotten the MVP. Lowell did great, but Ellsbury was on fire this entire series. His speed is just unbelievable, but he was hitting like a madman, and his defensive plays were great as well.

It's very tempting to hop in the car, and drive to Boston for a few days since it's only an hour and a half away. Another very satisfying feeling, though I kind wish they won it in Boston this time.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Shad

Midnight

4252503 Potch
200 Soldiers
38 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, there you have it. Congrats to the Sox! I would have rather seen Cleveland take it, but when it came down to the Sox against the Rockies I was rooting for Boston all the way. Hell, this is 2004 all over again. Good luck finding anyone who doesn't expect the Pats to win the Super Bowl.
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Milan Fiori wrote:
I totally think Jacoby Ellsbury should have gotten the MVP. Lowell did great, but Ellsbury was on fire this entire series. His speed is just unbelievable, but he was hitting like a madman, and his defensive plays were great as well.

Ellsbury only had one great game in that series. If anyone other than Lowell deserved it, it was Pedroia. That man was a fielding machine, and he sure as shit did his part on the hitting side (a lead-off home run in the World Series is always a big plus).
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: