Suikoden United and Irrational Keystone Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Running Up The Score
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Sports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sierra Mikain

Blue Moon

19500 Potch
0 Soldiers
666 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Fuji wrote:

The thing is though, the Pats can dink and dunk with the 3-7 yard pass plays. They won 3 super bowls doing it. Throwing the long bombs and attempting to score each and every play however is kind of going overboard.

That's the point right there. The owner already came out and said they are running up the score to stick it to the NFL. It's not about winning by 14 Fuji because that's not what happened. They were still going for 2 min drives up by 5 touchdowns. That's not securing a win, that's being more risky than trying to keep the clock moving and dink and dunk your way for 3 points and an 11 min drive.

Quote:

Hypocrisy at its finest. Waaah. Patriots piss me off because they run up the score... so I won't care if someone intentionally hurts one of their good players! Yeah, really "classy." Running up the score now = physically (and intentionally) harming another person. Of course, you already admitted you wouldn't feel bad if someone did that. Definately "classy."

Retalliation is justified. If I think fights between players is bad, would I hate it when a player fought back. If you insult me, the gloves are off. If I can't beat you on the field, I'll hurt your team's morale. You stop showing me respect and that's what you get. People get beaten up and killed over respect every minute of every day.

It's not hypocrisy, it's an eye for an eye.

Not to mention, I'm talking about the players. Don't shift your argument to me just because you see the world through red and blue glasses. I never said I was classy. I'm a fucking asshole and I have no qualms about making you look stupid.

If you have something intelligent to counter what I said instead of 7 word sentence say-nothing bs like "just ask him" and "the skins were that bad" which really don't add to the discussion, feel free to say it. Try letting your intellect speak instead of your attitude.

Quote:

Yeah, but the 60 year old man was trying to beat you over the head with his cane first. He just couldn't hit you so you defend yourself. Nothing wrong with that. I suppose that if Washington didn't want to get beat, they could have just not shown up. That's a good idea.

So basically you're saying because it was a fight, even though though the guy was severly outclassed that it's fine and respectable for me to kill him because I can?

Don't think I'm a Redskins fan. I'm a long-time Redskins hater. I friggin hate that organization. I'm not a long-time Pat hater. Just like I'm not a long time Chad Johnson or Emmit Smith hater, but what they've done recently is enough for me to say the league and the world is better without them.

*rides off on my escape goat*

Aurelian wrote:

Either way, it's the reality of what's really going on. It's the fact. And it's not just in NFL. It's in every sport.

That's absolutely not true. Hell maybe in soccer when you guys want to run the score up to what.... 2 to 0? In baseball sometimes super blowouts happen like what happened to the Orioles earlier this year, but the Rangers did let off the accelerator in that game too. They weren't swinging for the fences, brought in backups, and several times they held up at third base instead of trying to score when they could've. I think that game ended up 30-3 or something wacky, but it honestly could've been 45 to 3. Other blowouts like this don't really happen in MLB. I don't consider 12-3 a blowout because a 9 run lead isn't all that secure sometimes. (and don't act like a 5 td lead is not secure in the 4th quarter especially against the Skins' offense or with the Pats' defense)

This doesn't happen in the NFL either. Even in the year when Peyton broke the single season TD record, or when LT did it last year. They had Sorgi and Turner, respectively, in a large portion of the second half of games. When the Rams and Warner were perfection on offense they weren't still throwing deep routes deep into games when not needed. And that's only recent issues.

[It does happen in the NCAA, because beating your opponent by as much as you can, can actually help you a great deal in the BCS rankings. I heard earlier this year about some game between nobody schools that ended up 130 - 3. lolz]

You don't have to stop swinging the bat, or stop lining up at scrimmage and trying to gain yardage. There's simply a difference between getting up there and going through the motions of finishing a game that's already been decided and trying to leave the imprint of your boot in someone's ass.

It shows your opponent respect. Much like all these players with super huge egos, WRS, and TUS, the Patriots aren't above the game of football. If you don't show/have respect for your opponent, you don't show/have respect for the game.

That's my opinion.

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Hell maybe in soccer when you guys want to run the score up to what.... 2 to 0?

You'd probably realize this by now, but 2-0 is not "running up the score". Stick to proper comparison if you want to discuss about this. Running up the score happens when one team sucks or one team is super. As simple as that. 2-0 in soccer is obviously not a reflection of one team sucking or one team being super. Understood?

Quote:
There's simply a difference between getting up there and going through the motions of finishing a game that's already been decided and trying to leave the imprint of your boot in someone's ass.

I think you're too sticking on the idea of "winning by a large margin = leaving impring of your boots in someone's ass" that you're unable to understand that winning by large margin might not be meant to leave the imprint of your boots in someone's ass. You need to understand that.

I'll give you an example of what has happened in soccer. With your idea of "2-0 = running up the score" (though somewhat sarcasticly), let's look back at the finals of Champions League in 2005. AC Milan led 3-0 against Liverpool in half time. End result? Liverpool tied it to 3-3 and won on penalty shoot-out. Look at UEFA Cup Finals that same year. Middlesbrough down 0-3 in half time. Ended up winning 4-3 right at the end of the game.

The game is not finished until the final whistle blows

You might consider running up the score as disrespectful, I simply consider it as making sure that you win and don't screw up. If it turned out to be a blow out, then so be it.

I'll just ask you this. Let's assume the following situation. Say one team is leading 30-0 in a football match at half time . Using your opinion, the game has been "decided". The winning team should "show the opponent some respect" by not running up the score and play semi-seriously to avoid that. Do you just expect the losing team to just "give up" then? If you expect them to give up, how is that respecting the game? That's an insult to the game when the team is not playing seriously. If you don't expect them to give up, then why can't the winning team continue to play seriously to ensure that the losing team won't turn around the game?

Blowing out an opponent by continuing to play seriously and giving your best *is* one of many forms of showing respect to the opponent and to the game. Stop playing seriously and treat your opponent like they're piece of shit that can't play *is* disrespectful.

And once again, not to mention about the fans. Not playing seriously is a clear insult to the fans of the sport. As simple as that.

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Sierra Mikain

Blue Moon

19500 Potch
0 Soldiers
666 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Aurelian, first that was obviously a joke and a shot at soccer fans in an american football thread. Don't act so nieve.

Second, I know the difference between running up the score and winning by a lot and you obviously didn't see the game. In fact, the statement you quoted said exactly that. Wtf man?

You've completely misunderstood me from top to bottom so much that I can barely even reply to what you've said.

Quote:
I'll just ask you this. Let's assume the following situation. Say one team is leading 30-0 in a football match at half time . Using your opinion, the game has been "decided". The winning team should "show the opponent some respect" by not running up the score and play semi-seriously to avoid that. Do you just expect the losing team to just "give up" then? If you expect them to give up, how is that respecting the game? That's an insult to the game when the team is not playing seriously. If you don't expect them to give up, then why can't the winning team continue to play seriously to ensure that the losing team won't turn around the game?

First off, leading 30 to 0 at halftime is in no way, shape, or form over. I never implied that at all. It's not only possible to score 30 points in one half, it happens all the time. This isn't about what the score was at HALFTIME. NO game is over at halftime. This is about when there's 30 seconds left and instead of taking a knee, which would end the game, you're throwing 80 yard passes. Which is an extreme, but you're not understanding otherwise...

Secondly, in the game we're talking about, the score was 38 to 0 with 8 minutes left. In the first 52 minutes of that game, Washington was able to muster only a handful of yards and no points. I don't expect them to stop trying and as I said in my last post...

I wrote:
You don't have to stop swinging the bat, or stop lining up at scrimmage and trying to gain yardage.

You don't. You still try to score. You still play the game. There's just no need to run high-risk, deep plays simply because you want to run up the score unless you're trying to make a statement. It's not semi-seriously. You still move down the field. It's the concept of clock management. I don't know if you understand it since I know you probably don't watch a lot of american football, but the best way to maintain a win is to control the clock when you have it out of reach. 8 mins on the clock is nothing to the patriots and the way they were able to move the football that day. THEY SET AN NFL RECORD FOR FIRST DOWNS IN ONE GAME. They could've dink and dunked down the field and eaten up that 8 mins easily and then went home with a 38 to 0 win. Instead, they threw deep risky plays that take no time with the intent of scoring 14 more points before the game was over.

I don't expect Washington to simply give up either. If they get a TD in a game that's 45 to 7 with 2 mins left and go for an onside kick then I'm going to start complaining about the futility of it all, but it's not because I think they should just roll over and die.

Quote:
You might consider running up the score as disrespectful, I simply consider it as making sure that you win and don't screw up. If it turned out to be a blow out, then so be it.

Let me just say this one more time, even quoting the part that you quoted.

I wrote:
There's simply a difference between getting up there and going through the motions of finishing a game that's already been decided and trying to leave the imprint of your boot in someone's ass.

There's no problems with scoring a lot of points Bugg. It's about when the game is over and decided and you're still trying to score as much as you can when it will make no difference in the outcome of the game. It's not about winning by a lot, as I clearly stated already, it's about kicking someone when they're down simply because you can.

Can you please read more carefully before quoting and interpreting what I've said?

Windriders

544907 Potch
4066 Soldiers
620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sierra Mikain wrote:

[It does happen in the NCAA, because beating your opponent by as much as you can, can actually help you a great deal in the BCS rankings. I heard earlier this year about some game between nobody schools that ended up 130 - 3. lolz]

Does it? I was pretty sure margin of victory was removed from the equation to prevent schools from scheduling crappy teams with the sole purpose of beating them by 50. The human polls can take it into account, but it's actually less of a factor.

It hasn't stopped them from doing it, but I was pretty sure it had been long since removed from the equation.
Lord Rengo

The Magus' Army

33445 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sierra Mikain wrote:
Retalliation is justified. If I think fights between players is bad, would I hate it when a player fought back. If you insult me, the gloves are off. If I can't beat you on the field, I'll hurt your team's morale. You stop showing me respect and that's what you get. People get beaten up and killed over respect every minute of every day.

It's not hypocrisy, it's an eye for an eye.

Oh right, you have no problems if someone is injuring another player because of "respect." Yet you're still whining about the running up the score. It's obvious you're not concerned with the health of the players, so I really can't see why you're whining like this.

Sierra Mikain wrote:
Not to mention, I'm talking about the players. Don't shift your argument to me just because you see the world through red and blue glasses. I never said I was classy. I'm a fucking asshole and I have no qualms about making you look stupid.

Yes, we agree on something. But once again, you're whining that the Patriots are not being "classy" and then go on to say other players are justified if they decide to take a cheap shot on Tom Brady when they aren't good enough to beat them on the field. No doubt you wouldn't be whining about "class" then. Which brings into question your motive for bashing the Pats, which you've already admitted to. You are a Pats hater. That's it. That's the only reason you are pissed off.

Sierra Mikain wrote:
If you have something intelligent to counter what I said instead of 7 word sentence say-nothing bs like "just ask him" and "the skins were that bad" which really don't add to the discussion, feel free to say it. Try letting your intellect speak instead of your attitude.

I, of course, was referencing a certain press conference following a huge playoff loss to the Patriots last year. You already mentioned this game in your previous Pats-bashing post, so I thought you probably saw it. I guess it just went right over your head.

Sierra Mikain wrote:

So basically you're saying because it was a fight, even though though the guy was severly outclassed that it's fine and respectable for me to kill him because I can?

If he's trying to kill you, why not? After all, you're just trying to defend yourself. Of course, this analagy is not very good for the situation. The Redskins are not like that 60 year old man. They thought they had a chance against the Patriots on the field, and that's why they showed up to play. If they didn't want their feelings to get hurt, they could have not come out after halftime.

Sierra Mikain wrote:
Don't think I'm a Redskins fan. I'm a long-time Redskins hater. I friggin hate that organization. I'm not a long-time Pat hater. Just like I'm not a long time Chad Johnson or Emmit Smith hater, but what they've done recently is enough for me to say the league and the world is better without them.

*rides off on my escape goat*

Don't worry, I didn't think you were a Redskins fan. As you've already admitted (twice), you are a Patriots hater. They've been whining for years, and have gained quite a bit more since the start of the season. The Redskins had nothing to complain about the Pats until this past Sunday.

Sierra Mikain wrote:

That's absolutely not true. Hell maybe in soccer when you guys want to run the score up to what.... 2 to 0? In baseball sometimes super blowouts happen like what happened to the Orioles earlier this year, but the Rangers did let off the accelerator in that game too. They weren't swinging for the fences, brought in backups, and several times they held up at third base instead of trying to score when they could've. I think that game ended up 30-3 or something wacky, but it honestly could've been 45 to 3. Other blowouts like this don't really happen in MLB. I don't consider 12-3 a blowout because a 9 run lead isn't all that secure sometimes. (and don't act like a 5 td lead is not secure in the 4th quarter especially against the Skins' offense or with the Pats' defense)

I don't mind if players swing for the fences in blowouts. Really, the only few things wrong in blowouts is bunting for base hits or stealing bases. There's nothing wrong with scoring runs. The pitchers are out there to pitch and the hitters are out there to hit. And players come out of baseball games durng blowouts because it's a 162+ game season and by the end of it, they're all feeling like hell, so any chance they can to get off is better.

Well, I have to go for now, I'll respond to the rest later.

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Good grief. Learn to play nice. When you want to discuss something keep your comments to the points brought up, not the person making the points. If you cannot do that, then do not post. You've already been warned once and having failed to actually listen, this topic is over before any more of this bickering can go on.

-closed-
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: