Suikoden United and Illusional Knowledge Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

How can this site survive?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shrew

The All-Star Rock n' Breakdance Electronic Band from Shenzhen

237023 Potch
110 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Make the U in Suikox stand for Unlimited Saga. There's a game that will draw in the crowds.

Fear our Vagueness.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Hawk Thanatos

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I came to this site for Suikoden and stayed for Suikoden. And the community and the war game. But I'm not gonna kid myself, if the Suikoden series ended I'd probably lose interest eventually, and if it swapped to a general RPG site I'd probably lose interest even quicker. Suikox has never been about appealing to the multitudes, it's supported by the fact that most of its active members are reasonably intelligent, something that'd quickly disappear as a general RPG site.
Splendid Monkey

Monkey`s Mad Marauders

96384 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Difficult question. I think Suikox would continue to thrive for quite a while since many of it's members, myself included, come here more to talk about other things than about Suikoden. The war game will also help to keep the existing members hooked. But indeed, if there would be no new Suikoden then the influx of new members will drop eventually which would not be good. Still, I think this site will survive, even without new blood or new games, the fans will remain fans and they'll stick around as long as Suikox has interesting things to offer. The number of active members may drop considerably but I see no reason why this site should have to close down.
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hawk Thanatos wrote:
I came to this site for Suikoden and stayed for Suikoden. And the community and the war game. But I'm not gonna kid myself, if the Suikoden series ended I'd probably lose interest eventually, and if it swapped to a general RPG site I'd probably lose interest even quicker. Suikox has never been about appealing to the multitudes, it's supported by the fact that most of its active members are reasonably intelligent, something that'd quickly disappear as a general RPG site.

I doubt it. The member base has long since been established, so any new members that aren't compatible with the site in its current state would for the most part be incompatible with post-Suikoden Suikox.

Lonelion's Naval Fleet.

4727 Potch
106 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The strong bond our community site has among many of the members,plus the unique war game run on here,could be strong points that actually begin drawing new people even after suikoden series is axed.

The Loyality the current members show for this site should remain stead because of all the fun we're currently having,let's face it we know suikox is the greatest community site on the internet.

As long as we keep coming back every day being active is vital to keeping this site going,like many suikoden discussion drew me here,but the site is so great that even if suikoden series dies,i'll still come here as long as Vextor decides to keep it going.

http://www.myspace.com/lonelion7769
http://www.duefiumi.com
http://z6.invisionfree.com/suikocross
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Onimaru

Perverted Old Men

3407 Potch
954 Soldiers
86 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

No one liked my idea about us buying the rights to Suikoden then 'eh? Pfft, panzies, it could only cost a couple million dollars. jeez. Where's the dedication!?

On a semi more serious note if the Suikoden series died this forum has already established itself as being able to operate independently without the Suikoden series holding it up. The war games and the great community keeps the active members active and suggesting to their friends that they join up. How many lurkers do you think are out there who haven't registered accounts, or who did but don't post? Sure they'd likely loose interest because all they do is check up and see when Suikoden VI will come out. I used to do it. But the Suikoden series has bread a new kind of fan for RPGs, one that would continue to love the series even if no new games were produced. There will always be people who want to know more about the game series and this site is a great place to learn about it. However, we shouldn't really worry, I don't think Konami plans to stop making Suikoden games anytime soon. If they should however, it won't be long before another developer picks up the series and starts creating new games with the brand name like they did with Xenogears/Xenosaga. Ok...bad example.

I hate you Onimaru.
Ryusei

Kotetsu

114213 Potch
8500 Soldiers
510 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, I myself think that the war game is the site's biggest advantage over many other sites. Perhaps focusing more on the war game and expanding it continually would make the site continue on even if the Suikoden series has already died. That's just what I think though.
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

turn it into a memoral fan-based site? fan music? fan cookbooks? RolePlay.

all I can say is don't look to the ecco community for answers. that was a huge mess, there no words for how messed up that is. (then again its because of internal strife and members seeking to destroy it then conqure its ashes)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shad

Midnight

4252503 Potch
200 Soldiers
38 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The influx of new people would never really stop. There are a lot of active people here, hell I invited a few of them, who've never seen a Suikoden game in their life. Word of mouth would suffice to keep this place going with or without new installments of the series.
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If you wanted to get new members to join up, I would think weekly updates on the main site would be the best thing. Naturally that's difficult concerning the content of the site is finite based on the coninuation of the franchise, but as others have said (probably) if the site changed its content, it could work well.

Instead of Suikoden, there could be random weekly updates (quick bullet points) about general interesting things going on in the Suikox Nation Community. Perhaps real life and fantasy, for example:-

* Andy (Axiose) just got engaged! Yaaaaaay!
That didn't happen!!
* A new regiment of immortal merchants was discovered by the Higheast!

Something like that. It might not even be necessary for you to update, Vextor. I'm sure fuji can create something (anything) that would let other people write up an update for the site. That or let other people submit their bullet updates and then have clever people authorise it so that it appears on the main site.

That's just one of the ideas in my head.

Okay, so I lied, it's the only idea in my head.

Basically I'm not sure how the community would survive if there was no more Suikoden games released as I have often pondered it, bt I would still stick around bugging people. I enjoy this place and it definately feels like home, so Suikoden is secondary. I think the main problem if there was no more Suikoden is attracting new members, so if the Suikox war game became more of a general war game and it moved away from Suikoden in specifics, but there was still a Suikoden-theme about the system.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Scarlet Assassin

Disciples of Death

331436 Potch
0 Soldiers
2442517 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm more than willing to stick around. As much as that dismays most of you, it's the truth. I barely even think of this place in terms of SUikoden anymore. It's SuikoX, and for some reason I just never think that that Suiko is for Suikoden.

And hey, if we decide we need more people down the road, just turn this into a final fantasy site, we all know how well this system and some of these people take to Final Fantasy right? Right? Final Fantasy Platform anybody?

Chief of Beat-em-up Honeys Division, Devoted Protector of Lady Tifa Lockhart
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Something like that. It might not even be necessary for you to update, Vextor. I'm sure fuji can create something (anything) that would let other people write up an update for the site. That or let other people submit their bullet updates and then have clever people authorise it so that it appears on the main site.

This was talked about before, making the main site update-able ala wikistyle. I'm sure we miss out on new members that go to someplace like Suikosource or Gamefaqs, since they have updated databases.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Seraphblade

imaginary soldiers

935122 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm sure there are some good artists here. Maybe we can provide artwork, avatars, or whatever.

I also like Axiose's continuing updates, though I would prefer it would about updates regarding new components to the nation system or progress of the war game.

That's all I have in my mind as of right now.
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Milan Fiori wrote:
This was talked about before, making the main site update-able ala wikistyle. I'm sure we miss out on new members that go to someplace like Suikosource or Gamefaqs, since they have updated databases.

I think this idea is great because after everything is up to date, the Wiki can be set to only be edited by the staff again. So we end up with a completely up to date site in which we can bring in new members with - like the Suikosource crowd.
Falcon Critical

Haia's Star Pupil

678159 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

One thing we could do that would be an interesting idea is something along the lines of a collaberative fanfiction. If there were to be no more games in the Suikoden series what that essentially does is gives us completely free licence to put our heads together and decide how a Suikoden story would be formed in the likes of The Nameless Lands or Harmonia. We've seen some good stories come from Vex with the likes of Makanakuy and NorĂ°eland, and we figured out quite a bit of what might happen down in Falena once we knew where Suiko V was to be set.

While on the one hand it could be an interesting experiment to get collaborative fiction going on the rest of the nations (and coming up with an agreed complete set of true runes), on the other we could even use the nation system to determine the outcome of battles and progress the story. Since whatever we come up with would never be proven wrong if no more games come out, we could essentially work out a definitive world history.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: