Suikoden Urgent and Illusional Kraalesque Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Video Game Hall of Fame Our Style
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fudozukushi

The Fudozukushi Minion Army!

1081375 Potch
250 Soldiers
143 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

RedCydranth wrote:
Flare, I second GoldenEye. I'm not sure if it was the first FPS on a system,

Wolfenstein 3D and Doom both actually had a SNES port if you'd believe it.
Timbo

The Wandering Prophets

410837 Potch
300 Soldiers
835 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Flare wrote:
Timbo wrote:
Part of the prize for a contest that Sage won. I have to do this for a week.
Shouldn't it be in quote tags then?

Probably. I'll do that from now on.

Quote:
Some of you seem to be overly pretentious when choosing what games can and can not enter our Hall of Fame. If the topic was "Top 10 most influential games to the industry" you'd all be arguing a prudent point. However, since it is a Hall of Fame, all it takes is a game or series being great to make the list in my opinion. Of course impact on the video gaming world is a definitive factor, it shouldn't be the only factor. Just because a game wasn't the pioneer of a genre doesn't mean it must be excluded from the list.

I don't think anyone is really being overly pretentious. Filipe's original proposal for the list is this:

Quote:
o I thought it would be an interesting idea to have us compile a list of our own, and have people add to it games, or characters they deemed to have made a large impact on video gaming in some fashion or another.

From the way it's worded, it seems arguing top ten most influential games of the industry is a more prudent point than a game being really enjoyable in our eyes.

Looking at everyone else's statements, the games that stuck out to me that should be on the list are Starcraft, Street Fighter 2, Tetris and Pokemon and Tomb Raider. Pac-Man as well, but all the reasons I can think for having him I can accredit to Mario as well, so I am unsure if both should be on.

Tetris made the portable gaming genre possible and was what sold the original gameboy. Being on numerous top ten games of all time, it created a model for most puzzle games and is still played as a favorite by many, I think Tetris is a definite addition.

Street Fighter 2 made th modern fighting game in all of its variations. Before Street Fighter 2, fighting games had players play as the same character with color scheme flops. Street Fighter added in different move sets, power and speed levels, multiple characters, more specific storylines and combo systems.

Pokemon made the Gameboy into one of the largest,if not the largest, gaming systems numbers wise and added a new dimension to the gaming audience and culture. I credit Pokemon and Dragon Ball Z to making anime popular in America, In terms of changing gaming, it may not have done so much. But, in terms of changing society and how people view games, Pokemon did an incredible amount.

Tomb Raider made selling sex in games popular. Before Tomb Raider, there was much less appeal in trying to make a character appear sexy and more appeal on Utilitarian usage of sprites. As long as you could understand that the block of things was a body and a head and where it shot from,it was okay, but Tomb Raider changed that. Although the series has fallen drastically, the effect of Lara Croft's boobs and body on gaming is very large.

I already said why I think Starcraft should be on the list.

It's really hard to pick just ten out of all of these though. So many need to be on the list for different reasons.

Quote:
Sage can save the world with a 12-inch piece of string, jar of miracle whip, and a gardening magazine, depending on the issue!

eXistence of Fly

Pointy Sticks & Ponies!

1151694 Potch
7700 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

RedCyndrath wrote:
There's a debate which is the better RTS, Starcraft or Command and Conquer. Personally I liked Warcraft more than Starcraft, but overall, I say Starcraft was the bigger and better series. Just because C&C has like 8 different incarnations now, doesn't mean it is better than the tried and true Starcraft. More recently though I've played some great RTS like Age of Empires and Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War. Those are a lot of fun, but in terms of best ever. Starcraft probably is the winner. Command and Conquer was really good though.

Considering Starcraft 2 has yet to be released, Ghost was cancelled, re opened, cancelled again Starcraft isn't a series, it's a game + expansion pack. Warcraft is a series, C&C is a series, Age of Empires, Empire Earth, Civilization are series, but until Starcraft 2 is out Starcraft is not a series of games much like Dawn of War isn't with it's PC games either (Dawn of War is the stand alone and both Winter Assault and Dark Crusade require the original Dawn of War to play and are expansions). So just because some PC games have expansions does not mean that they are series.

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My only nomination is Dune II. It set the form for the PC RTS genre preceding Warcraft: Orcs and Humans by 2 years and Command and Conquer by 3 years. Starcraft is also deserving for the whole Battle.net thing.
RedCydranth

Ice Dragons

3650446 Potch
194 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Fudo, believe it or not, I thought that was true but was too lazy to look it up. I somewhat remember Doom for SNES but it was pretty horrible.

Timbo, your quote of Filipe's in no way says "Top 10". In fact, nowhere in his initial post does he mention a cap of the number of entrants to the list. He just threw out ten of his nominations and let us do the rest. Agree, disagree and nominate.

I do see that he mentioned its impact, but I think there's more to a Hall of Fame than impact. Gary Carter was a definite Hall of Fame baseball player with his stats, but because he was seemingly on basement teams for the majority of his career, he had little "impact" on the game. It doesn't lessen the greatness of his career in any way though. He holds no records, won only one title and wasn't flashy, but he was GREAT at what he did. In that same respect, a game entering a "Video Game Hall of Fame" shouldn't have to be the Jackie Robinson or Christy Matthewson type games to be inducted. That's just my opinion. Also, impact doesn't necessarily mean influence. Sonic had an impact on the gaming world, but did little to influence future games. Everything Sonic did, Mario had basically already done in one way or another.

Fly, my bad on calling Starcraft a series. I just didn't have a better word for a game with expansion packs. Extended game? Regardless, I think that Starcraft is the best of the genre, even if its still one game technically.

After discussing this topic with my girlfriend and a good friend of mine (the idea of a Video Game Hall of Fame is awesome) they both agreed that DDR is the next major game that could be conceived as good enough. Its quite simply the most innovative game to come out in years. It took video gaming to a whole new, exhausting, level. It combined the simple act of dancing and the simple act of playing a game. Sure the predecessor kinda was the turbo pad for the NES, but that thing was so glitchy and nobody ever used it (much like many of the NES's "innovative" gadgets. The Power Glove anyone?) DDR was the first to bring excersize like gaming mainstream. I have no facts to back this up, but I think someone at Nintendo saw the DDR craze and realized the potential and then came up with the Wii. Again, no factual back up on that, but its an odd coincidence that after the DDR craze blew up we get a completely movement oriented system. I can't honestly say DDR helped spawn the Wii, but I can say it didn't hurt the idea. Also, the game has had numerous sequels and there's been a few rip-off series that do it a little differently, but to my knowledge, DDR was the first major "Get up and play" video game. I'm somewhat inclined to say that in a way DDR led to Guitar Hero as well. I could be way off base on that, but I feel that DDR was a catalyst for a new style of gaming in our era. I personally detest the games, but I can recognize a successful innovation when I see one.

Timbo, what sort of bet did you make with Sage? What would Sage have to do if he had lost? I'm inrigued now.

Fantasy Football (NFL) Sign Ups in Sports Forum!
Karushifa

155169 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hey, I had a Power Pad for my NES Back In The Day (The Day being some day around my birthday in 1989). It's hard to say why it didn't really take off as the dawn of a new era in physically interactive gaming...maybe there just wasn't a whole lot of potential for it. Outside of World Class Track Meet, I don't remember there being a whole lot of games that utilized the Power Pad...and, for that matter, that weren't already bundled with the NES system and the ever-popular Super Mario Brothers.

One thing to DDR's credit, though, is that it started as an arcade game. I'm guessing that the arcade version, with its much sturdier hardware, was a good model for the developers to work off of for the home version. A "beta" version, in a sense. DDR also was HUGELY popular with the college crowd - I can attest to this, having been in college when the DDR craze was taking off...every student union on campus had at least one DDR club. Of course, the young adult demographic is HUGE to the gaming industry, and any game that had broad appeal in this age group was destined to sell like crazy. As for its influence on the development of the Wii, there's definitely some inspiration in DDR, but I think that went hand-in-hand with the gradual progression of gaming into more and more immersive games, ones that REALLY keep the kids inside for hours on end (WoW being the extreme, but console games can be hard to put down, too). Guitar Hero, I think, was mostly developed to appeal to whoever might have missed out (deliberately or not) on the DDR craze, as well as those who were looking for a spiritual successor.

The Executors of Harmonian Order

35712 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I am just coming by tonight(I am tired so not staying long), to first say something RedCydranth is right, this is an open ended list. I added in the first ten because they were to me off the top of my head the games or characters that jumped out the most out of anything. Mario, love him or hate him if that series hadnt made it as enormous so fast as it did NONE of us would be here on this forum today. There wouldnt be a video game industry at all, or if there was it wouldnt nearly be as big if not for the Mario series of games. That one character alone, and where his games went from there is what turned a small gaming community with some casual fans into the enormous market there is today. Pokemon is no doubt huge much to my personal dislike, and it is quite easily number two as a series, but with all it has, it BARELY scratches Mario. Outside of maybe Europe, Asia, and North America you might find the occasional person who would have heard of Pokemon. However I bet you, nearly anywhere in the world, if you ask someone who Super Mario is they will know right away without a second thought.(Not literally, but you get my meaning)

Now as far as Madden goes, your right it doesnt have the far reaching appeal as a sport and a franchise that FIFA does. However I didnt induct it for it's fanbase, or how many people actually like the sport. I inducted it, because of what it did for the sports genre as a whole. Before Madden, most sports games, were these weakly thrown together cool but otherwise rather laughable games. Madden took that and made it into what the genre is now, if it hadnt been as successful as it was do you really think there would have ever been a FIFA game? If it hadnt made so much money would they really have made the effort to make all these basketball games, and baseball, and soccer etc that they have now? Of course not, it wouldnt have made any sense from a financial standpoint.

You are right however I should have added in Street Fighter 2, and Tetris, I wont argue there, however I was tired and really was about to go to bed in a few minutes. I will edit them in as #11 and #12 since no one seems to doubt them. Might throw in The Sims as well for starting a craze even I have been drawn into.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: