Suikoden Ugly and Irenic Keystone Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Mystery Science Theater 3K and fic MSTs
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SwissStopwatch

Largest Falco Tribute Band Ever

186774 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I would have to agree that Doc Forrester and TV's Frank were funnier than Pearl and company.

I definitely have not seen every show, and the gaps would especially come with the later episodes, but, of the ones that I have seen, a few stand out as ones I liked for whatever reason. Manos: The Hands of Fate is, of course, particularly classic. Time Chasers was a nice one to watch, even if the movie didn't seem nearly as terrible as some of the others they did. Touch of Satan was decent... I actually saw that on Sci-Fi, as a standalone movie. Painful to watch. Pod People was a good one, especially given that there were at least 3 movies going on at once, and footage from another one used in the opening. And, one of my absolute most favorite ones would be Santa Claus Conquers the Martians. I actually managed to get that one shown to a somewhat large group of people, which definitely turned out to be worthwhile for the people there. I've seen more of these, of course, but these ones stick out.

On the subject of the short films, I really liked the Truck Farming one.

I can't really say that the movie's all that spectacular. It's a nice solid view that I take out to watch occasionally (I have a VHS version I got as a gift a while back, along with cassettes of other MST3K episodes), but it didn't quite seem as funny as some of the other ones. Maybe because they had more movie, less host segment. I think the balanced way they did it on the show worked better, honestly.

Rifftrax... well, they did find a clever way around the copyright issues for that, I'll say. The samples are worth watching, and I'll probably grab a few of those when I have more time for them. Some of those movies just needed to be skewered. People still make bad movies, after all.
Karushifa

155169 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

SwissStopwatch wrote:
I can't really say that the movie's all that spectacular. It's a nice solid view that I take out to watch occasionally (I have a VHS version I got as a gift a while back, along with cassettes of other MST3K episodes), but it didn't quite seem as funny as some of the other ones. Maybe because they had more movie, less host segment. I think the balanced way they did it on the show worked better, honestly.

An interesting thing about the movie is that it's only 77 minutes long, whereas the 2-hour shows had 90 minutes of material in them. So they could have easily shown more of This Island Earth and had the associated riffing (and there were several parts of the movie that were trimmed), as well as more host segment - although without the need for commercial segues, I suppose that the regular show format was skewed a bit.

Anyway, my desire to have a more stable copy of the movie (I have the VHS release, which can only last so long) is mostly for nostalgic purposes, since it was the first MST3K thing I ever saw.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Media All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: