Suikoden Urgent and Infamous Kraalesque Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Summoning Runes?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should they Add summoning runes?
Yes!
45%
 45%  [ 5 ]
No!
45%
 45%  [ 5 ]
Uncertain?
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 11

LynxWare

Red Sabers

68383 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:15 am    Post subject: Summoning Runes? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hey,
just wanted everyones take on a rune of summoning.I know the pale gate had kinda summoning spells..But i think they should put more runes in that summon things.
Onimaru

Perverted Old Men

3407 Potch
954 Soldiers
86 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Are you talking like; DnD Summon Monster I,II,III type runes? Where you actually summon a character/monster to fight in you're battle party? That would be an awesome addition, but If I'm not mistaken there have already been a few runes that allow for that;

The Eightfold-Rune that Yuber has
Windys Front/Back (i forget which she has) Rune can summon
annnnndd....I think if I remember correctly something about the Black Runes that windy attaches to the great generals of the SME allows them to summon I think.

On a similar summoning related topic; in Suikoden I when you meet Luc on Magicians Island, he summons up a rock guardian of sorts to fight you. Do you think he was using his true wind rune at that point to do this? Do all true runes allow wearers to summon forth some sort of "monster"?

I hate you Onimaru.
iscalio

1681589 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Onimaru wrote:
annnnndd....I think if I remember correctly something about the Black Runes that windy attaches to the great generals of the SME allows them to summon I think.

I don't think that's true. Did anyone among them besides Sonya even summon anything? I know that the magic Sonya used for monster summoning was not runic sorcery. It was a school of spellcasting that is not rune-based, similar to most of Sarah's spells in Suikoden III.

I don't think the golem Luc sends against the party is summoned by the True Wind Rune, but who knows. I always thought that it was created as a guardian for the island by Luc or Leknaat instead of being a denizen of the World of Emptiness, which would make it a relic instead of a monster.

The only real runic summoning magic is Gate magic, I think, both the True Gate Rune (which is split in half, one part for summoning (Windy), one part for unsummoning (Leknaat)) and its children (Pale Gate, Blue Gate). I think Yuber can summon monsters because he is one himself; it is a natural ability, not a power of the Hachifusa.
Shad

Midnight

4252503 Potch
200 Soldiers
38 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think there needs to be a limit to the total number of runes out there. After all, they're all some fragment of a True Rune and of those we've only 27. Furthermore as the parameters of true summoning magic were defined in the very first installment of the series it would be rather difficult to expound upon them. So for continuity purposes I'm voting No to 'summoning runes' in the literal sense. I pretty much agree with all that Iscalio said. The game could easily incorporate means of calling in monsters by other means, but they'd still be specialties, such as Neclord's ability to summon zombies (based on the shear number that appear in Tinto and furthermore the fact that the effects can be reversed, it's say to say Suikoden zombies don't follow the same guide lines as 'real' ones). I could see someone like Badeaux being able to convert or call in monsters to fight for him. Summoning dragons from another world might not be entirely impossible either, as Joshua's true rune was never fully defined. (I'm not fully familiar with Humphrey's venture into that work in the Suikogaidens mind you.) 'Summons' as I think of them though, in the Final Fantasy or Gate Rune sense, should be as I said limited for continuity's sake.
Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

iscalio wrote:
Onimaru wrote:

I don't think that's true. Did anyone among them besides Sonya even summon anything? I know that the magic Sonya used for monster summoning was not runic sorcery. It was a school of spellcasting that is not rune-based, similar to most of Sarah's spells in Suikoden III.

You're both -sorta- correct. The Black Runes that Windy gave to the generals allowed them to control monsters around their areas. And it also gives Windy control of them in return.

Iscalio wrote:

I don't think the golem Luc sends against the party is summoned by the True Wind Rune, but who knows. I always thought that it was created as a guardian for the island by Luc or Leknaat instead of being a denizen of the World of Emptiness, which would make it a relic instead of a monster.

When Luc summoned the Golem, I do believe he invoked the Wind Rune. Whether it was the True Wind rune or just used a Wind rune to bring it out and it was made from other source, I'm not entirely sure.

iscalio wrote:

The only real runic summoning magic is Gate magic, I think, both the True Gate Rune (which is split in half, one part for summoning (Windy), one part for unsummoning (Leknaat)) and its children (Pale Gate, Blue Gate). I think Yuber can summon monsters because he is one himself; it is a natural ability, not a power of the Hachifusa.

I thought Sarah and Luc's ability to summon monsters, were due to their mastery with the Gate Runes, from studying under Leknaat? Yubers ability we're not quite sure where it comes from. Him being one himself is as good of a guess as any.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
LynxWare

Red Sabers

68383 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Im,
Sorry if i wasnt clear about this from the begining.
But i guess the summoning im talking about is like out the earlier final fantasy games.Not really a summon that fights for you more like a creature that is summoned and does damage to the enemies and disperses.(ifrit,shiva ect... but in suikodens creature forms.
Onimaru

Perverted Old Men

3407 Potch
954 Soldiers
86 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ahhh...though, having a character who could be summoned would be a neat character twist. i.e. you get Albert Silverberg in your SOD's and can use him in battle, if you have an empty character slot (only 5, with space for 1 more) he can use a "rune" or some other means, to summon Yuber into the battle. That'd be kind of neat, hmmmmmmm..

As for the black rune I think it was just control over monsters, though that dragon Kwada has chillin in his throne room before the fight could have been a summon of some sort.

We've seen the "true forms" of the Soverigne Rune (that Hydra thing), I don't know if "true form" is the correct term for it, but whatever it was it was either summoned or the essence of the rune. And we've also seen the Beast Rune's incarnation as the final boss, are these incarnations or possibly the last ditch "summons" of the rune?

I don't know if Yubers being a monster has anything to do with his ability to summon monsters, I think that is something associated with the 8-fold rune, correct?

I hate you Onimaru.
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Milan Fiori wrote:
Iscalio wrote:

When Luc summoned the Golem, I do believe he invoked the Wind Rune. Whether it was the True Wind rune or just used a Wind rune to bring it out and it was made from other source, I'm not entirely sure.

I don't think he uses the True Wind Rune at all, Luc explains in Suikoden III about the technique Leknaat teaches him about summoning monsters from the "World of Emptiness."
seameth

Laodicea

68460 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've always thought that the idea of summoning was a curious one. The very notion suggests that somewhere, out there, there's a sort of staff lounge-esque setup with various members of the workers of the summoned, local #2514. I can almost see the bahumuts in the corner play cards, smoking roll your owns, with ifrit standing by the bulletin board reading the latest updates...again...with a cup of stale coffee in hand.
All just waiting for the buzzer to go, the portal to open, and the chance for glory. ...or to earn a slight bonus on their pay cheque at the end of the week.

I've always wondered what went through their heads in Final VIII where they were constantly being summoned to smite the party that just summoned them the turn before.
ferrouslupusrex

Ferrouslupusrex

563 Potch
673 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

seameth wrote:
I've always thought that the idea of summoning was a curious one. The very notion suggests that somewhere, out there, there's a sort of staff lounge-esque setup with various members of the workers of the summoned, local #2514. I can almost see the bahumuts in the corner play cards, smoking roll your owns, with ifrit standing by the bulletin board reading the latest updates...again...with a cup of stale coffee in hand.
All just waiting for the buzzer to go, the portal to open, and the chance for glory. ...or to earn a slight bonus on their pay cheque at the end of the week.

I've always wondered what went through their heads in Final VIII where they were constantly being summoned to smite the party that just summoned them the turn before.

What a brilliant deduction. You deserve a commendation my good sir.
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Luc calls upon the True Wind Rune when he summons the Golem in Suikoden 1. They may have translated it as the "Great Wind Rune" or something in the English version, but it's made apparent that he uses his True Rune for summoning purposes.
Masaya

Flying Fusillades

222963 Potch
75 Soldiers
3635 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Also the Blue Moon Rune lets you summon and control the undead minions you create. Neclord uses this power to summon armies of zombies. And maybe even that giant spider thing you fight in Suikoden 2.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: