Suikoden Utopian and Irenic Kibbutz Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

A Suikoden without a True Rune
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden VI Speculation & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ferrouslupusrex

Ferrouslupusrex

563 Potch
673 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Since the True runes are obviously a vital part (if not the only part) to the story that moves the suikoden series, I don’t think it would be a good decision for Konami not to have a true rune in the game. I’m pretty sure a large percentage of the suiko fandom are very interested on the newest rune to be revealed on each release. If Konami does not offer it’s rabid fans their dose of suiko true runes, I think they are going to lose a decent amount of their fans. I’m sure a series like suikoden can ill afford that.

Don’t get me wrong I know the whole 108 stars blah blah thing but that’s just skin. The bones would be the story of the true runes and their bearers.

Last edited by ferrouslupusrex on Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Patriarch

Queendom Nomads

15629 Potch
149 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Its something that would never happen because Leknaat is the guardian of the true runes and always appears when there is a war with a rune involved and i doubt she'd show up otherwise so there would be no point in 108 stars.
Sailor Sexy

Mikan weeps for Brady

246380 Potch
175 Soldiers
50 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Don't be silly. We need the True Runes to be involved. It's not like we've ever really taken a break from it. Suikoden II is the closest we've come, and even that ended up with us getting a true rune in the end.

The point of Suikoden has always, always been about the conflicts that the pursuit of the true runes have created. I can't see how anyone could say that the game would be the same if there wasn't a true rune involved. Even relying on a repeat rune would be unacceptable. The fans all want to have a new rune revealed. To think otherwise is folly.

~Uguu!~
Onimaru

Perverted Old Men

3407 Potch
954 Soldiers
86 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Not for a suikoden title, no, I agree with everyone else that true runes are a nessesity to the story and to satisfy the fans who show a lot of interest in the concept. A side game like a Gaiden or Tactics would be fine if there was no True Rune, but I don't see Konami cranking those out very fast (that's very dissapointing, I wouldn't mind a Final Fantasy style RPG with only 4-6 characters that took place in the suikoden world.) The only way it would be accetable really would be if the True Runes were revealed to be "evil" in some way, and our hero had to overcome the difficulties of faceing an enemy with that sort of ultimate power. That might make for a good story, a hero who hates true runes and uses alternative means to get around them. The game would still need to feature a true rune, a new one at that of course, but the hero doesn't nessesarily have to wield it. *re-reads everything he just wrote* huh? who you calling wishy-washy? you shut up..

I hate you Onimaru.
LynxWare

Red Sabers

68383 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think,
Having a Suikoden game where the hero is Rune Imputant would be refreshing.
But the idea reminds me alot of Saga-frontier 2.The prince that couldnt use
magic and was exiled.
Harmony

Hugging Hippies

82515 Potch
0 Soldiers
93935 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

True Runes are a major hook in the series. All the main games center around at least one, and that doesn't mean that the main character needs to actually carry that rune. In all the games it's the true runes that start the conflicts, and allow for the rest of the supernatural "cloaked women talking cryptically by your bedside" and 108 stars stuff to happen and make sense.

Even though through almost the entirety of Suikoden II the Rune of Beginning was in pieces and not technically a true rune, the Beast Rune took centre stage and lent itself to increasing the conflict.

Basically, if we don't have a true rune majorly involved, we have a tactics or gaiden game.
Finfreeze

177377 Potch
1 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It wouldn't bother me if there was a main Suikoden game where there was little, if any, focus on True Runes or their bearers. Hey, they could even drop the stronghold-by-or-on-a-large-body-of-water aspect of it and I'd still have no problem with the game.

What makes Suikoden Suikoden to me is the following. One, it's the world, the characters, and the continuous stories about the world and the characters that inhabit it. The second is a magic system primarily based on runes, with sorcery thrown in as a wildcard. Other than that, they could even get rid of the 108 stars and I'd be fine with it, despite that it would betray its namesake. They got rid of it in Rhapsodia, and it didn't negatively affect the story. In fact, by bucking tradition they were able to tell a vastly different tale from the main Suikoden games.

Really, I think some of the traditions, like how the main characters are constrained to the region around their main stronghold, the recruitment of various nobodies to get The Good Ending, and the pushing of True Runes to the forefront of every game, can sometimes make the game feel a bit...stale. Oh no, not to say that Suikoden is a bad series, but certainly, they could afford to change up conventions from time to time.

All they'd need to do is make occasional mention of the True Runes in passing, like in an Old Book. Or maybe it could have a True Rune bearer, but he/she would be low-key and not a character who is particularly part of the main story. Maybe have her/him save the day once ala Luc in II against Sasarai. It's OK just as long as it doesn't seem like they forgotten all about them or even actively removed them from the world entirely.
Crono

Something Wicked

162570 Potch
200 Soldiers
40 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I believe that True Runes are a vital component to the Suikoden series, therefore it will always be a main focus to the games. Tactics styled games can be different though.
We have an urge to kill
And our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
We'll fight 'till the end, and send our enemies straight to hell!"
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden VI Speculation & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: