Suikoden Uncouth and Informational Karma Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Manga/Anime that's a little bit like Suikoden?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keriaku

Angels' Requiem

114115 Potch
0 Soldiers
1 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 7:44 pm    Post subject: Manga/Anime that's a little bit like Suikoden? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

(Sorry if this should be in the General Suikoden board)

A manga series I recently borrowed from a friend, called Basara, is a little bit like Suikoden (I think).

First of all, here's a synopsis I got from a site, so you can get the basic idea of the story

Synopsis:
The story takes place in the post-apocalyptic future (I'm guessing a nuclear war took place) and there is an oft-mentioned tyrant named the Red King ("Aka no Ou" in the story). In a desert village, a blind prophet, Nagi, predicts that a set of twins will be born (a boy and a girl) where the boy, christened The Boy of Destiny ("Unmei no Shounen"), will be the savior who leads the villagers to victory against the tyranny of the Red King. The Red King also knows of this prophecy and takes steps to prevent the boy from coming of age by sending his Red Army to the village. Incidentally, the Red King is actually only a few years older than the twins. The two twins Tatara (the boy) and Sarasa (the girl) look EXACTLY alike except one's a boy and the other's a girl. What eventually happens is that Tatara is killed by one of the Red King's generals, but Sarasa decides to take his place by cutting off her hair and donning her twin brother's clothing. In other words, Sarasa impersonates Tatara, so the villagers think that Sarasa was the one who was killed, not Tatara. Only Nagi and a family friend named Kakuji know the truth, that Tatara is actually Sarasa. (Later on, other characters learn the truth as well, either from being told or finding out in the midst of battle. But few know in the beginning.) Besides losing her brother Tatara to one of the Red King's generals, Sarasa also watches her father get killed by the Red King himself. (Her mother is captured by the Red Army and held in a prison.) After leading fellow villagers to safety away from the danger of the Red Army, Sarasa (dressed as Tatara) goes alone on a mission to retrieve her brother's precious sword Byattsuko. She succeeds in getting the sword back but is wounded by an arrow shot by the Red King himself. While Sarasa heals, Kakuji takes her every day to a small cave with a well-hidden lake. One day, Sarasa is bathing there when a handsome young man named Shuri walks in on her. It's love at first sight =) Unfortunately, "Shuri" is actually the Red King, but just dressed in civilian clothes. Neither Sarasa nor Shuri knows the other's true identity and so things really start rolling from there.

(credit to, http://carnage.fanfic.org/basara.html ,for the synopsis)

So... I think it's like it because later on in the series Sasara begins to gather people to go against the Red King, like an army. also being chosen as the 'destiny child' is somewhat like being chosen from a True Rune (Yes I know, it really isn't)

I know this is really nothing like Suikoden, but I like to think of it that way.

Yep... there really wasn't any point for this topic... Bye!
Edge Riou

Brotherhood of Strife; Fate

311768 Potch
11 Soldiers
724673 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hmm, that sounds pretty cool, I might need to check it out.

Angels' Requiem

114115 Potch
0 Soldiers
1 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yep, I like it, but I've only read the first 3 volumes. I plan to read the next 3 sometime soon. This reminds me, I think we need an Anime/Manga board here. :wink:
faqxinaterz

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I always thought that Fushigi Yuiigi deeply reminds me of Suikoden...

Both of these make up my favourite anime and game series!

Hehe anyone who have watched Fushigi Yuiigi would know why it resembles a bit... at least to me ^_^
Keriaku

Angels' Requiem

114115 Potch
0 Soldiers
1 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've read the first graphic novel of Fushigi Yuiigi, so I haven't really noticed a similarity to Suikoden yet.
josiskrazy

500 Potch
114 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i just started watching it, i Dled it after reading this post...neways ive only gone 4 eps deep but this is a really good serie!...the characters are great and the story is nicely crafted...

neways you notice how Nagi looks like Shu, but always has his eyes closed and seems like a male version of Leknaat?
Keriaku

Angels' Requiem

114115 Potch
0 Soldiers
1 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, I think Nagi is like a male Leknaat also, he's so mystically (being a phsycic (sp) does that :P) And being blind and everything like Leknaat (correct me if I'm wrong).
leena fighter

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've seen almost all of Fushigi Yuugi, but it doesn't remind me of Suikoden that much. Watching that show numerous episodes at a time has some bad results, though. Since it's really just focused on Miyaka and Tamahome, it gets rather ridiculous after about five consecutive episodes (box sets will do that to you,) when it's just Miyaka crying and Tamahome reassuring her of his love.

The kanji things they have that give them their power (it's been awhile) is somewhat Suikoden like, though. Kind of like the stars of destiny following the leader, I suppose!
Ikano

Prince Geass Falenas

2324315 Potch
1337 Soldiers
3028000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't think Fushigi Yugi is similar to Suikoden at all
[and like leena fighter -I've watched it several times over too ^^;;]

I've never seen (or heard for that matter) of Basara...but I recall my friend introducing me to an anime/manga series where it was much like Suikoden -the whole recruiting characters for an army and it also had something similar to the runes/True runes)

unfortunately I don't remember what it was...it was quite awhile ago.. ><

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Cyrano

the vengeful lynx

126422 Potch
23 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

huh guys, i'm not sure.... but i think they made a serie in japan about suikoden 2
i read it one time on internet( tough i don't remember where...) there was a pic with jowy in his royal clothes and he was commanding his army
Keriaku

Angels' Requiem

114115 Potch
0 Soldiers
1 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've never seen (or heard for that matter) of Basara...but I recall my friend introducing me to an anime/manga series where it was much like Suikoden -the whole recruiting characters for an army and it also had something similar to the runes/True runes)

That sounds cool, if you ever remember it, tell me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: