Suikoden Ugly and Illegal Kraalesque Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

So, I Was Sent the Jury Duty Questionnaire a Few Weeks Back...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thor McOdin

Stupid Sexy Flanders!

1757439 Potch
4444 Soldiers
4225 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:24 am    Post subject: So, I Was Sent the Jury Duty Questionnaire a Few Weeks Back. Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

...and I am slightly confused at the moment. I tried to get out of it by saying that I was a full-time student with a busy schedule, but that was denied. In any case, looks like I am stuck with this for the time being.

In any case (to my knowledge, anyway), I am in the jury pool for the month of October. It was indicated that the process was going to start this Monday, but it was not made clear if my status as a potential juror would also be activated this coming Monday. If I am not mistaken, the jury pool just means , "Congratulations! We're thinking about you!" and not necessarily a tell-tale sign that you will be asked to hear a trial. Actually, I am almost certain that they send you a letter a week or so before you are to report for to court.

So, for anyone who has been a juror in the past, did you get another letter after you filled out the questionnaire telling you when you were to report?

Thanks in advance.

Not all ninja codes are brewed equally. Here at Shinobi, we use the choicest Bavarian hops that are ripened to perfection. One sip and we will have you saying...nothing.
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have yet to be called in for duty, but just remember that even if you are selected there is a good chance that the case will be thrown out.

Its also possible that they do this differently in each state. I've never heard of any questionaire.

Pointy Sticks & Ponies!

1151694 Potch
7700 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

While I am not sure if it is the same as where you are, when I was up for Jury Duty I was only required for the one day (9am to 6pm) and the justice system sent me a letter indicating that my pool would be required at court for that period of time 2 weeks in advance, with 1 week allowance for late withdrawals, thus I filled out a slip at the end of the letter and took that with me to indicate that I was a potential juror.

With me, the questionnaire was done as soon as I was legally able to become a juror with the "summons" when it was my turn to do so, from what you've said, you simply are up for the month of October and if you are required they will tell you when that is. With me, my group consisted of about 40 people and only 6 were actually required on the day, so if that's the same there, than sit tight and pray you don't get the summons because it's boring as hell when you're not picked. (Up at 6am, in at 9am, asleep for the entire day outside of "will all jurors lease report to the foyer for assignments" then the cheque saying huzzah piss off! :D)

Gaien Magic Men

659144 Potch
850 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thor McOdin! On a Jury! THE SYSTEM HAS FAILED!

lol just kidding, I have no idea how Jury Duty works in America but in Britian anyone over 18 without a criminal record can be called for Jury duty, if members of the Jury fail to turn up the court has the power to basically pick people off the street and add them to the Jury. (Cant remember the name of the trial where that actually happened).

Stupid Sexy Flanders!

1757439 Potch
4444 Soldiers
4225 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, I just did some McOdin Investigating (Googled a lot of random shit). From what I have seen so far, I did fill out the Juror Qualification Questionnaire and that is all. I did get the response from the clerk indicating that my exclusion request was denied, but I could reschedule for a later date if necessary. As it stands, no summons.

Watch, though. I'm going to go back to the university tomorrow and there is going to be something in my mailbox.

Thanks for your help, everyone. I hope that this thread can stay open (and active) a bit longer so that others may share their experiences...or allow me to gripe if something comes up.

Not all ninja codes are brewed equally. Here at Shinobi, we use the choicest Bavarian hops that are ripened to perfection. One sip and we will have you saying...nothing.
Earthquake923

SB90's Mechanized Monsters

179201 Potch
0 Soldiers
778121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well I have been to Jury Duty. Is there a phone number for you to call, with a juror number on it? If so you need to call the phone number and see if your Juror number is up. If your number is between the numbers selected, you have to report in. That means you may be asked to sit on a jury for a case. You meet in a room with about 100 people or so and watch a movie about being a juror, and a sworn in. Once the judges are ready for you, you go to a seperate part of the courthouse and the ask say for jurors 1-12. The lawyers ask questions like "Do you know the defendants? Is there any reason why you feel you could not be a fair juror?" They try to see if they want you on their jury or not. If they want you you stay, if not you go back to the original room you are in, and wait to be called into another court room. You could also be sent home for the day depending on how slow things are in court. My suggestion would be to bring reading material.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
eXistence of Fly

Pointy Sticks & Ponies!

1151694 Potch
7700 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That's somewhat different than here in that while we are given juror numbers outs are drawn lottery style, so that if 6 are needed they take out 12 and then the ones not selected simply leave to go back into the pool. So you guys work solely on juror number and nothing else once you're actually there?

179201 Potch
0 Soldiers
778121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Kinda they ask for 12 people then question them. If they don't like them, the jurors are removed, and more jurors fill their place until there are a full 12. The the trial begins.
Sage

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've luckily avoided jury duty. I'm technically registered back in my home town, which is a four to five hour drive away from where I live now. That might be enough to get out it. Last they asked though, I was in California interning at JPL so they took me out off the list since there was no way I was going back there.

Quote:
Kinda they ask for 12 people then question them. If they don't like them, the jurors are removed, and more jurors fill their place until there are a full 12. The the trial begins.

A physics professor of mine got of it that way. At one point in his career prior to this, he helped some city, Miami or Minneapolis (started with an "M" in any case), police learn how to calibrate and operate radar guns. This particular case's defense centered on faulty radar guns or misuse or something to that effect. When he was asked during this questioning whether he knew anything about radar guns, he told him what I just said and he was removed immediately. Guess that defense wasn't all that solid. :*laugh*:

Stupid Sexy Flanders!

1757439 Potch
4444 Soldiers
4225 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Nothing like getting things cleared up for you early in the morning!

I called the district court a few minutes ago and I was not summoned. Basically, it turned out as I suspected it would, and I have just been thrown into the jury pool. If a trial does happen to present itself, I will be notified 4-5 days beforehand. Whew!

Inko

Nikostratos

629196 Potch
5000 Soldiers
465 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've been selected for a Jury pool, and even selected to be on the jury for a trial. What happened to me is that I got a letter saying I had to report, for one day and then on that day they seperated everyone into groups and we got asked many question by the actual Lawyers who were going to be running the trial. After they did this with about 100 people, they brought the entire group of us into the main court room and started to call names, mine was called of course. The trial that I got to do was a case of Kidnapping and Assult. The entire thing took about a week to complate. So to answer your question, they are considering you, but if you don't want to be on the actual jury, try to be as opinionated as possible when they ask you questions.
Sailor Sexy

Mikan weeps for Brady

246380 Potch
175 Soldiers
50 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've been selected for jury duty once, and I probably would have done it if not for the fact that I was going to college at the time, which was a 3 hour drive away, so when I told them that they excused me from jury duty. The thing I find most amusing about that is my parents have lived in the same area for 38 years, and the same house for 29 years, and neither of them have ever been called for jury duty, but I got called after being eligible for only 2 years (I was called up when I was 20). I know it's all random, but you'd think after 30-40 years that you'd have been called up at least once :)

~Uguu!~
eXistence of Fly

Pointy Sticks & Ponies!

1151694 Potch
7700 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sailor Sexy wrote:
I've been selected for jury duty once, and I probably would have done it if not for the fact that I was going to college at the time, which was a 3 hour drive away, so when I told them that they excused me from jury duty. The thing I find most amusing about that is my parents have lived in the same area for 38 years, and the same house for 29 years, and neither of them have ever been called for jury duty, but I got called after being eligible for only 2 years (I was called up when I was 20). I know it's all random, but you'd think after 30-40 years that you'd have been called up at least once :)

I had the same thing, both of my parents are in their mid to late 50's and never been called up for jury duty, less than a year after I was able to go I get called up to go and we've lived in this area for nigh on 30 years as it was. I was meaning to ask, do you all have the same period of time where you cannot be called again (2 years) or is that also different?

179201 Potch
0 Soldiers
778121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

In the US if you are called for federal you are good for 5 years I think. If it's state you are only good for 2. But you get a summons exactly after that time has passed. So it's more like once they know where you are they got you.
SolemnSound

Solemn Sound

330634 Potch
100 Soldiers
48 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I was just recently summoned for Grand Jury Duty or Just regular jury duty I dont really remember which it was at the moment. All I do know is that the type of jury i was summoned to was a jury that would decide whether a specific case would go to trial or not and would have enough evidence to make a proficient case.

I too tried to claim that I was a full-time student with a part-time job and had a very busy life and that jury duty would be a major hassle in my life at this point and time. I wrote a letter explaining my situation and attached to it a copy of my college course schedule for this semester and my current work schedule ( as its always the same every week) However, I have yet to receive in notification or rather or not I will be excused from the summons. I figure I will at least have to go up there on the first day either way and see what happens after that. One good things is that I was informed that even though this type of jury duty will last up to 6 months I will only have to go up and partake in the jury type duties 5-6 times in that time span. So if I have to go it wont be all that bad I guess.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: