Suikoden United and Irrational Kibbutz Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Features every RPG should have
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:09 am    Post subject: Features every RPG should have Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What are some features that you believe no RPG should go without?

Monkey`s Mad Marauders

96384 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

A guy with long hair and godlike stats who beats the total tar out of you or a strong enemy near the beginning and who gives you a feeling like: "G*ddamn, that's guy's strong!" and who serves as sort of an idol for confused teenagers.
Fu Su Lu

Hungry Drunken TigerMen

569802 Potch
3084 Soldiers
800 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Splendid Monkey wrote:
A guy with long hair and godlike stats who beats the total tar out of you or a strong enemy near the beginning and who gives you a feeling like: "G*ddamn, that's guy's strong!" and who serves as sort of an idol for confused teenagers.

Thats it. Troy in suikoden IV is a example of what NOT to do! :*laugh*:

A good story that makes you feel part of the game. Sounds cliche but it is the most important thing in my opinion...
Luceit

Defender of Highland

371188 Potch
2170 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think these should be a must:

1) The option to skip movies: I know that the producers worked really hard to make these beautiful movies for us to gasp and gawk at, but when you're at the third playthrough and you have to sit through the same rambling again, it gets boring. In addition to that, it get downright irritating when I die at a boss after watching them go on and on about world domination only to have to sit through minutes of the same thing again.
2) Customized voice acting levels (As seen in Wild Arms 5): Some times, it gets very off putting to hear someone, but you don't want to turn down the music because you like the music and only one person is irritating you, so why not just make it so that that particular person is forced to shut up?
3) Button customization. Playing Tales of the Abyss was difficult for me because te button for Free Run was jammed on my controller.
I'll add some more when I think of it.

Truth

213998 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ideally, I'd like to have:

1) Load, save and pause anywhere. Otherwise, it is just poor choice of game design.

2) Where friendly units are computer-controlled during battles, let me have a detailed customisation comparable to that of FFXII's Gambits.

3) Where New Game Plus is available, allow me to choose the bonus to be carried over to new games, similar to how it works in recent Tales titles.

4) Adjustable difficulty levels and skippable tutorials, to enhance replays.
Jossef

Beshennye Berserki

95809 Potch
200 Soldiers
23 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The option to not have a gimp as a male protagonist. I'm getting very tired of these teen girly boys wearing either the closest thing to a gimp suit or women's clothing. Suikoden and Final Fantasy get special mention for this.

Fightin' Nac Mac Feegle

418570 Potch
0 Soldiers
10000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

No random battles! On screen battles are awesome. They're great. Chrono Trigger perfected this, so why don't we see it more?

Gameplay! Oops, wrong thread.

Getsuga

209279 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

1.) Of course a good storyline.

2.) Anime Cut Scenes, god I don't think RPG's should ever be without

3.) Your Hero character, always has to start out in a tiny, tiny country town.

4.) Turn based fighting

5.) Really hot anime chicks, with a love interest :P
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I for one can't stand it when you are unable to customize a character's weapons and armor. If ym character has the Plate Mail of the Sun God or something like that, I don't want them to be wearing a loincloth when they enter battle!

Jowston loyalists

339093 Potch
55 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

1. Synchronisation(voices) since it really gives the characters personality and it makes the dialogues much more interesting.
2. Replay value: bonusses, extras, easter eggs, glitches, additionals whatever
3. Epic story and some different characters
4. Individualism in character growth or at least status.

and much more :mrgreen:
ThricebornPhoenix

Phoenix Legion

102576 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Luceit wrote:
1) The option to skip movies: I know that the producers worked really hard to make these beautiful movies for us to gasp and gawk at, but when you're at the third playthrough and you have to sit through the same rambling again, it gets boring. In addition to that, it get downright irritating when I die at a boss after watching them go on and on about world domination only to have to sit through minutes of the same thing again.
2) Customized voice acting levels (As seen in Wild Arms 5): Some times, it gets very off putting to hear someone, but you don't want to turn down the music because you like the music and only one person is irritating you, so why not just make it so that that particular person is forced to shut up?

I couldn't agree more. The movie-skipping option should always be enabled, too - if I don't have a memory card with a 'clear' game save, that doesn't mean I haven't been through it before. On a related note, animations should be much, much shorter. A two-minute-long spell animation is only cool the first of the dozens of times you'll see it throughout the game.

I hate most VG voice acting. I want an option to disable it entirely, in case the soundtrack is worth hearing.

Jossef wrote:
The option to not have a gimp as a male protagonist. I'm getting very tired of these teen girly boys wearing either the closest thing to a gimp suit or women's clothing.

Change of appearance should only be the start. A two-digit IQ and a goal or an ambition beyond "to fight a lot/to be the strongest fighter" would be refreshing; a game with a protagonist who has a truly plausible personality would be astounding. Such games are rare and precious.

Zangetsu wrote:
2.) Anime Cut Scenes, god I don't think RPG's should ever be without

I'll pass on this one. That was my least-favorite part of Xenogears.
"[...] even a seemingly purposeless miracle is an inexhaustible source of hope, because it proves to us that since we do not understand everything, our defeats—so much more numerous than our few and empty victories—may be equally specious."
Futch

JUST ME AND THE OTHER BIG DUDES

125356 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

A continue option after dying in a(ny) battle.

That makes the whole "MY GOD I CAN'T FIND A SAVEPOINT!" deal much bearable.

But of course, ideally I'd rather have what Thief says.

Quote:

1) Load, save and pause anywhere. Otherwise, it is just poor choice of game design.

Completely true, savepoints were invented because of hardware limitations. Those don't exist anymore! (at least regarding save states)
Mullenger

8949 Potch
19 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Decent Music

I dont mean where the creator chooses from a range of music to fit a scenario

Music specifically composed for events - people dying, people returning - stuff like that

Different Music for every town, dungeon etc etc

There should also be a change in battle music somewhere along the lines in this RPG - this is why most people hate battling - hearing the same music everytime! Random it up a little - it may make levelling up fun!

It pisses me off when an RPG has 15 songs for 50 hours of gameplay
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
skymansxeno

30626 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I hate waiting for save points some times. I wish all of the rpgs I play would have a system like in MGS where you can save pretty much anytime in the game. Some times I have to quite suddenly to do something at home and can't wait to get to the next save point. They need this or lots of save points in them.
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

On a related note, animations should be much, much shorter. A two-minute-long spell animation is only cool the first of the dozens of times you'll see it throughout the game.

Oh god yes. I could not stand that in Star Ocean 2.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: