Suikoden Uncouth and Inspirational Kriegspiel Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Carlos Mencia..
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ninjar

The Shins

247440 Potch
1500 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The Coot wrote:
Sophita wrote:
...and it seems like he only goes for the obvious jokes - if he doesn't outright lecture the audience.

Turns out I don't like being yelled at when I'm just trying to relax and watch TV.

That's pretty much my major problem with his stand-up. He just lectures the audience for half his show. It annoys me to no end.

Indeed, after you explain why the joke is so terribly funny, it isn't going to be funny anymore.
Admiral Ackbar

Seekers of Hawke's Hot Stuff

1008758 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

My biggest problem with Mencia is that ALL he does is racial/religous jokes. If he maybe did some political jokes or situational family jokes (a la Bill Cosby) I'd really take a better shine to him.

Its funny you say that, because he also stole one of Bill Cosby's jokes. The one about the athlete thanking his mother for his career after his father was the one that played catch with him as a kid.

Like, not even in a way that's subtle either. I mean, the same damn joke. He may as well have pulled out a TV and played a recording of Cosby doing the joke. There's a video online of Carlos' joke and then Cosby's joke, and it's the same joke.

If you're going to steal a joke, don't steal from the most famous stand-up comic in history. Someone will notice.

Let me look for the link...

Edit: http://www.wwtdd.com/post.phtml?pk=2052

^Actual quote!
Ezekiel

Mediocre Archer

119921 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Carlos Mencia is my least favorite comedian of all time. All allegations of stolen jokes aside (even though they are so true), he just doesn't make me laugh. Then add on that he steals jokes left and right (he's even been confonted during his act by other comedians. great video, thanks Joe Rogan), the fact that his name isn't Carlos Mencia (It's Ned), and he isn't Mexican; you have one guy I can't respect. I think he's from like...Bolivia or something. it's obvious he's using the mexican angle as his thing cause it's a hot issue in america, and an easy stereotype to pick on. I literally walk out of a room if a commercial for his show comes on. I'd love to see this guy get popped in the mouth, but that's cause I'm an angry person :)

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, i read that he is part Mexican, i think from his father's side. His mother is Honduran.

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ezekiel

Mediocre Archer

119921 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Starslasher wrote:
Well, i read that he is part Mexican, i think from his father's side. His mother is Honduran.

Nope. Half german/Half Honduran. His real name is Ned Holness.

And when he's like "Comedy central wasn't gonna let me do this, but f*** them!"

No, not really. You're not infront of a live audience, so stop trying to seem like a defiant rebel. You're paid to say that, to add to your "oh my did he just say that" gimmick.

Bow Jester Squadron

8634 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I just wanted to drop in and say my views here. I say that Carlos Mencia is very funny. Although he bases the vast majority of his work on little racial jokes, I never saw anything that went beyond the limit, into something offensive. The thing is that everyone tends to get angry when too many jokes are made about them. What I liked about Carlos Mencia is that he talked about every culture and never focused mainly on one, also that he made fun of his own culture the most. He treated everyone the same way. I am Hispanic myself, and have many Mexican friends; we just didn't take all those jokes serously. That's what the people who get angry forget, he is JUST SAYING JOKES. If people still get angry, then I just would recommed that they just dont' watch him. Why would people watch something just to get angry and criticize.
Ezekiel

Mediocre Archer

119921 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

How do you feel about him putting up a Mexican image, for the sole purpose of using jokes of a hot issue in America? He's a fake, yet you still like him? I really hope Joe Rogan kicks his ass; I loved when he confonted him on stage.

1031726 Potch
422 Soldiers
125 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I just don't think the guy is that funny. I mean, he tries WAAAYYY too hard, and I cringe when I watch his show because I am thinking "Oh man, this really isn't that funny. I should be studying."

Nikea- "Want to see my super duper special moves?"
Me- "No, shut up and dance, bitch."
Watari

Lone Wolf

303 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think that he kind of funny not all the way funny just sort of. I just get tired of the same joking told over and over again just using different wording.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Calvin

Legions of Zontar-Killers

817540 Potch
25 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I find that Carlos Mencia's jokes are just the same thing over and over again. I sort-of laughed the first time I saw his show, but he just rehashes the same things over and over. I've generally got no problem with racy humor (I enjoy comics like Daniel Tosh or George Carlin, for example), its just that he's so limited in what he can do that it really isn't very funny for very long.

I don't even really have a problem with "joke-stealing," to be honest--pretty much every joke you hear has been done before by someone anyways. There are very few comics out there who have original material. To me, it is all about how you deliver the joke, much like how a story is only as good as the quality of its writing, and a song is only as good as the quality of its sound. And Carlos Mencia isn't very good at that either.

I changed the number on my phone so you can't call me up at home, and you can't say those
things to me, that make me fall down on my knees.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: