Suikoden Unique and Illegal Keystone Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

So, How Would the Newspapers in the Suikoden World Portray Opinion?

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Culture & Geography Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thor McOdin

Stupid Sexy Flanders!

1757439 Potch
4444 Soldiers
4225 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:23 am    Post subject: So, How Would the Newspapers in the Suikoden World Portray O Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Firstly, I think that this is a good topic. If it doesn't belong here, please direct it elsewhere.

With that said, I am replaying Suikoden V and I stumbled across Taylor's newspaper where he claims that even though he is affiliated with the Prince, he publishes an unbiased paper. There is no denying how political Suikoden is. On some occasions, I felt that V was a direct left hook to the jaw that I call civilization. No matter where we are in the world, we are subject to several different kinds of biases, whether liberal, conservative, independent, pro, or anti.

I got this idea after I had to present a project to one of my classes about pro- and anti-suffrage campaigns for women and how newspapers had an impact. In the Suikoden world, how do you think your favorite events, periods, timelines, battles, etc. would be portrayed in their newspapers from a variety of view points? Any game or time period is fair here, but offer spoilers ahead of time (just in case). Whether you choose to use headlines, articles, or quotes you think that specific party would say is entirely up to you.

Here is mine.

*SPOILERS* (Suikoden V)

Following the Godwin siege of Sol Falena.

Liberal (aka Keith Olbermann): The royal family was murdered at your hand, sir, and you parade around this country as if you own it! Arshtat and Ferid ruled this land fairly, sir. You are merely resorting to a government of authoritarianism! I'm Keith Olbermann. Good night and good luck...Prince.

Conservative (aka Fox News): Finally! Falena has been retaken, ladies and gentlemen! With the passing of Queen Arshtat and Commander Ferid (may they rest in peace), we are finally able to take it to those terrorists who wish us harm! Opinion Poll: Should we find George Prime or decide to use the Sun Rune on Armes instead?

Pro-Royal Family: Sol Falena Falls to Godwins. Lymselia Weeps While Rightful Prince Vows Justice.

Anti-Royal Family: Godwin Family Takes What Is Theirs. Scholars Valiantly Study Sun Rune While Soldiers Bravely Locate The Rebel Prince.

Have at it.

Not all ninja codes are brewed equally. Here at Shinobi, we use the choicest Bavarian hops that are ripened to perfection. One sip and we will have you saying...nothing.
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Not exactly on the topic but looking at the three games where newspapers (Suikoden III, Suikoden IV and Suikoden V) are available, there are some interesting things to note.

Suikoden III's newspaper, the Budehuc Times, is only a small local newspaper intended for the immediate Budehuc area. Well, that seems pretty clear. As such, the nature of the paper and it's information is, indeed, strictly parochial. The main headlines deal with events regarding Thomas (or Master Thomas as he's known in the paper, giving a hint of some biased reporting there!) most of the time and other columns contain nothing more castle gossip, list of chores to be done (?!) and the standard serial novel, in this case the wonderful Erk's Adventures by one Hitman Bravo.

Suikoden III's paper is little more than a parochial newsletter, all in all.

Suikoden IV's newspaper offers little pretence of objectivity. As it's headquarters are located on the Dauntless, the great ship used by the Island Nations liberation movement, it's author doesn't exactly have his ear to the ground. The main headlines usually deal with the ship's next port of call or mission, naturally enough, and other columns include such pulp as advise columns. The novels here are two fold. The first, Madame Depression, was dreary enough to be cancelled midway through it's run for the highly fictious Rose Swordsman by Micky, the servant of Reinbach III.

Suikoden IV's paper seems to be not much more than a hastily printed underground newspaper. Get the main story out, fill what space there is left, and roll the presses! (Or in this case, most likely press, singular.)

Now, Suikoden V's Dawn Times newspaper is a different animal to any of the above. While the Dawn Times is centered at the loyalist headquarters at Ceras Lake, it's made quite clear that the paper is circulated nationally and offers an alternative view to that of the Godwin controlled official media.

While Taylor maintains that the paper is neutral, the paper IS resolutely pro-Freyjadour and anti-Godwin. As such, with a veneer of neutrality that everyone seems to take at face value, and some articles that stretch that claim a little (Profiles of the Enemy? What enemy, Taylor, you're unbiased!), the Dawn Times is a powerful propaganda piece.

That's my overview of the papers in the series to date. As for the topic suggestion, eh, I'm loathe to try and pound the square peg that is the Suikoden series into the round hole that is American politics. :P
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
ferrouslupusrex

Ferrouslupusrex

563 Potch
673 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wokay this would be fun. I am just going to make a guess here but I’d imagine that in
1. Dunan – newspapers in Dunan would be pretty much similar to what we have. The high level of education because of the academy in greenhill would ensure that a decent amount of it’s citizenry would be able to read to a tolerable degree and formulate their own intelligent opinions on current events and ‘hot’ issues.
2. Toran – despite being a rich nation they don’t have a school of any sort (save for mathiu’s Socratic school of warfare/ elementary education) I have serious doubts if the former SME citizens would be able to read let alone appreciate a newspaper but if they did, it would probably be censored somewhat. I mean, if opinions were allowed that freely, I’m pretty sure a whole lot of toran citizens would be ripping lepant’s administration. Hell, I find it very easy to believe that Lepant would not be above inserting fabricated ‘opinions’ to portray his questionable decisions in a good light.
3. Island Nations – I’d doubt the island nations newspapers would be circulated interisland. I’d guess the circulation would only cover an island like Nay or Obel. However, as it would seem in SV’s representation of your Island Nation’s recruits they may have stagnated to a similar level of society as what they’ve had in the past (150 years ago) so I doubt if the heads of the INF would even allow opinions in any circulation.
4. Sol Falenas – I’d imagine it to be pretty strict during pre-suikoV falenas so opinions would have been censored to a large degree. However after SV, they might allow free speech but since there are still the still influential rebel noble clans, I’d imagine that the censorship would still stay, although loosened
5. Nagarea – I somehow doubt they would have a newspaper running but if it did, the opinion column would probably be very sparse. I’d imagine the Nagarist leaders would probably have their opinions branded as facts just so they can control the masses but it is for certain if the average nagarean john doe would have his opinion published let alone say it in public.
6. Grasslands – Any newspaper in grasslands would serve one of two purposes and that would be: toilet paper or to start a fire.
7. Zexen – the newspapers would probably be somewhat similar to newspapers printed during the first few decades of the real world printing press. I’d imagine the opinions to be pretty liberated considering they are a merchant based society although from what we are seeing the Zexen society seemed to be leaning towards a monarchy or something similar.
8. Tinto – The opinions here would possibly be pretty harsh and unedited after all Gustav does not seem to care too much as evidenced in S2.
9. Harmonia – No opinion column for obvious reasons. Hell the ‘news’ would probably be (and most likely are) fabricated by the harmonian government.
El Leon

Arias

73841 Potch
40 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

4. Sol Falenas – I’d imagine it to be pretty strict during pre-suikoV falenas so opinions would have been censored to a large degree. However after SV, they might allow free speech but since there are still the still influential rebel noble clans, I’d imagine that the censorship would still stay, although loosened

The nobles where taken out of power. Well not completely, but they no longer become senators because they are of noble blood. Instead, a chosen town representative from every town/city runs the parliament. I certainly doubt that for at least a few generations press will be censored, especially with the Prince still being an advisor to the Queen.
ferrouslupusrex

Ferrouslupusrex

563 Potch
673 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That, El Leon, is where the dummy senators come in. The nobles still have their wealth and that is a huge factor.
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

ferrouslupusrex wrote:
That, El Leon, is where the dummy senators come in. The nobles still have their wealth and that is a huge factor.

Euram Barows gives up his estate, status and presumably his wealth after the war, and since there are no Godwins left, the nobility would be left much weaker and almost completely powerless, if not completely.
El Leon

Arias

73841 Potch
40 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Pretty much, The Godwins and Barrows were the powerhouses in Falena, everyone else were pretty much small nobles. The two most powerfull nobles who were around after the whole debacle were the Lords of Estrise and Sable, which were on the Prince's side all along.

BTW, I don't remember if they ever mentioned how the Parliament Representatives were chosen, but I think they were chosen by the People themselves. So, it'd be like a Democratic Country, but with a Queen as ruler, instead of a chosen President or Prime Minister. That last thing would probably provoke later disputes, though by the time of Suikoden 3 it is likely the same Queen and Commander of the Queen's Knight are in office. So, no expected problems in the near future.
ferrouslupusrex

Ferrouslupusrex

563 Potch
673 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

Euram Barows gives up his estate, status and presumably his wealth after the war, and since there are no Godwins left, the nobility would be left much weaker and almost completely powerless, if not completely.

Somehow I doubt anyone would give up the life they are accustomed to by their own volition :)
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

ferrouslupusrex wrote:
Quote:

Somehow I doubt anyone would give up the life they are accustomed to by their own volition :)

But he does, there isn't really any more to it then that.
El Leon

Arias

73841 Potch
40 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hayashi Ujitsuna wrote:
ferrouslupusrex wrote:
Quote:

But he does, there isn't really any more to it then that.

Not to say they no longer have any power behind them. Even had he remained with all his money and possesions, everyone in Rainwall hated him. Luserina was the only one the population liked.

The only thing that COULD happen is Euram, if you choose Eresh, growing a spine, gathering power outside Falena and trying to retake his lands and bring revenge upon the Royal Family for the slaying of his father. But that's a bit BUT. No matter how much you look at it, Falena has been cleansed of any internal struggles, for at least the duration of the current Queen's rule. Even Armes cleaned itself and made a treaty of Peace and cooperation with Falena. I know it's very strange and all, but Suikoden V did end up with all ties knotted and properly managed, unlike Previous games which still had battles to be fought even after the game (Toran had to kick out Jowston, Dunan had to stop the Higheast Rebellion and Grasslands and Zexen still fought each other and Tinto a few more times).
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think you miss the point that Euram himself became a better person (if you choose him over Eresh) and takes the attitude of his sister in that he follows the Prince loyally.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Culture & Geography Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: