Suikoden Uncanny and Irrational Knowledge Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

How hard is it to give an old character a leading role?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden VI Speculation & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
retrospect.

Cosby You! Black Entertainer

102725 Potch
420 Soldiers
30 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I want to see the story of the guild with Clive and Nash as lead roles. The potential for awesomosity is just simply too high.

Ordo Lusus

167874 Potch
250 Soldiers
180 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

there are many characters that could appear again. I would think ti cool to see nakula again, or his brother Sahadeva (just a guess, since they took Nakula form the Hindu story where Nakula has a twin brother named Sahadeva). I think they could do some interesting things with him, as well as the rest of the Nether Gate people. Theres Nick and Lun as full on Dragon Knights, which would be pretty kick ass to see. Figuring out what is going on with Ernst and learn some more about Levi and maybe Zerase.

I still hope to see Pahn again sometime, see if he goes off do become something more. Maybe seeing Futch one more time with a grown up Sharon would be pretty cool as well.

"I think we are blind. Blind people who can see, but do not see."
Zombore

Reunification

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm the first person I've ever noticed who has expressed this, but I think it would be cool to bring back the bardic trio from SIII.

I can see them(especially Nei or Shabon) as leaders of a possibly massive circus or acting troupe that could come to the aid of the protagonist in some special way; ie propaganda or rallying the general population, or even using their craft to fool the enemy.
Himuro

La Morte

842334 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well it's just that it'd be odd for them to revert from being able to talk to not being to talk. There are two Persona 2 games. In one game, a character is very wild and energetic. She talks and is a very likable character. In Persona 2 all of a sudden she doesn't talk, so her character development takes a hit.

It's just something used to prevent anything like that happening I assume.
RedCydranth

Ice Dragons

3650446 Potch
194 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Himuro, I think you mistook the original poster. The question is not why can't older characters become Tenkai Stars. I think what the person was trying to say is, why aren't more past characters re-used in central key roles.

He or she used Georg as a great example. What we see in many prior Suikodens are characters that really aren't key players in the big scene, but have potential for bigger roles in other games. Players like in Suikoden II, Killey or Georg, who were reused in Suikoden V as much more central characters. Georg moreso than Killey.

One of the great things we enjoy in Suikoden games is seeing old faces and finding the ties between new characters and old ones from prior games. One of the main reasons I think Suikoden IV flopped so badly in our (the Suikoden Fandom) eyes was because we only see two familiar faces and we're given barely any hints as to who other characters are related to in the future. The only ones I know for certain were Emma and Gary being the relatives of Maximillian and ultimately Fred. Suikoden V tried to amend this by making Nelis related to Pablo and naming the ship the En Kuldes. They even gave Flare a cameo in the puppet show. However in general Suikoden IV left us high and dry with the connectivity to the rest of the series.

There are plenty of characters who did not take a primary role in their game that easily could in the future. If it takes place after Suikoden III, there's potential that an older Mua of Kamaro could be seen, as well as Hallec. If it is in the Nameless Lands, nothing is stopping Alanis from returning home to take a more primary role. Also, as Viktor and Flik have proven, just because you have been important in a past skirmish, doesn't mean you're obligated to live in the region you aided forever. This opens the possibility to Fred and Rico, Any of the Zexen Knights who feel they need to broaden their horizons or maybe even Franz and Iku getting away from Le Buque. Lilly proved that you can appear in another game for a silly reason too. From what I gathered, Tinto didn't care too heavily of the rumors of the Second Fire Bringer, but more or less wanted to get the bossy Lilly out of their hair. This opens the door for just about any character to be anywhere else for any reason. We easily could see Watari again running from Ayame. Or Jefferson in pursuit of more titles. Who the heck knows.

The only characters I'd find it hard to see reappear would be ones who are tied down by obligation. People like Theresa, Ridley, Hugo, Lepant, Lymsleia, and other characters who hold high political standing. Aside from that I can fathom any other character returning for an encore. Oh, and dead characters are off limits too. Unless its a prequel to their death. I'd love to see Kiba as a younger man.

Characters I'd like to see make a return in a more dominant role? Well, Roy had a pretty important role in V, so I'd like to see him make another showing and be important too. I think we've seen enough of Futch, three installments is enough, but I do like the Dragon Knights and Sharon would be a pleasant sight. To be honest, Aila would be another sight for sore eyes. She seemed like a good character who in the future will be a great leader type. Perhaps she could represent the Karaya Clan in aid to a foreign war. If the next game takes place before V but after IV, I'd like to know more about what happened to the ninjas that Kate, Akaghi and Mizuki came from. If its within a lifetime of Suikoden IV, I'd like to see a post-tactics Kyril or Eugene.

Fantasy Football (NFL) Sign Ups in Sports Forum!
rjcruz0622

1212 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Old characters = Filling up holes in the timeline. Giving old characters main roles would be really great for me since it would give a better view of the story, and give more connection between the series.

Jowston loyalists

339093 Potch
55 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Moon Knight you are right with your guesses.

Quote:
One of the main reasons I think Suikoden IV flopped so badly in our (the Suikoden Fandom) eyes was because we only see two familiar faces and we're given barely any hints as to who other characters are related to in the future. T

Agreed, BUT I think what was really the weakest spot, was that the characters were all alike. Like 70% from all characters had a sword and no individual style at all, and that goes for almost every character, that sucked a lot.
ferrouslupusrex

Ferrouslupusrex

563 Potch
673 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I’d imagine it wont be too hard but that’s not the real problem there. I mean suikoden has a slew of very interesting characters however the question is whether the public would be willing to play the damn thing. I mean with the horrible release/acceptance of SquareEnix’s dirge of Cerberus with Vincent Valentine as the main character despite it’s obvious superb graphics, I’d imagine the more intelligent gamer would look at any more attempts as such with scorn.

Last edited by ferrouslupusrex on Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Patriarch

Queendom Nomads

15629 Potch
149 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Rezard wrote:
I alwalys felt they made SV in falena because of George, that SV was made to tell us how George killed the queen, which we already knew because of Richmond in SII. I think they choose the time and place for the game based on George.

I think it is good to have a game tell a particular side history of one of the characters, like they did with George. I still want to see a Suikoden Game that focus in Crowley and the mysteries involved in his death/ressurection.
Thats EXACTLY how i feel about Suiko5. I think it should have been alittle more george relivent though. I have a feeling EVENTUALLY we'll find out alot more about him if they ever do a game about the succestion war in scarlet moon.
Patriarch

Queendom Nomads

15629 Potch
149 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hayashi Ujitsuna wrote:
The same concept applies to Luc, hes an "old" character and they put him in Suikoden III as the primary antagonist of the game. If theres not a better example of re-using a character from a previous game in such a unique way, I don't know of it.
I like the idea of an old character coming back with alot more important role like luc an george. I'd like to see something more like a character sacrificeing himself for the greater good like Yun and Jimba did.

Like Sheena/Shu sacrificing themself for Apples sake (who at this point would be the main stratagist) they wouldent even have to be stars just the fact that they were there and they were important. like the princes aunt was.
Patriarch

Queendom Nomads

15629 Potch
149 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

SwissStopwatch wrote:
Basically, though, how well reusing an old character will work depends on whether or not there's any good reason said character could be important again, given what's already known of the character from previous games. Georg Prime was reusable because he killed the Queen of Falena; there's some depth there, and you can flesh that out a bit more (which they did). Luc had the True Wind Rune, which is clearly usable as a central part of a game plot. Ted could similarly be reused because of the Soul Eater, although he's hardly a central character, and you'll find that most of the other characters who reappeared had something in their story already established that could cause them to get mixed up in the events of a future game.

Accordingly, any character with an interesting backstory established in an earlier game has some chance of being used again; characters who don't aren't as likely to reappear. I would say it's somewhat likely that there are at least some plans for who will and will not reappear, at least to the extent of establishing a reason for a character to show up again. I suppose it's possible to predict who could be next to some extent, but I can't really think of any examples right now.
as far as suikoden goes i think anyone who isent a shop keeper (except Jeane) and didnt retire/die has a fairly good chance of coming back.
Patriarch

Queendom Nomads

15629 Potch
149 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Kikito wrote:
THe kids from Suikoden III could all make a comeback. Thomas, Cecile, ad the three St. Loa Knights could become important or semi-important characters in a future game, depending on what's done with them.

Also, Toma from Suikoden V could very well reappear since it was stated that he was training to become a Queen's Knight. However, I'm not sure if we'll see him again because Queen's Knights usually stay in Falena and I doubt there'll be another game based on Falena(maybe a side game like Tactics or Gaiden).

Yet another character that has a lot of potential to get a prominent role in a future installment could be Kyle, because it was stated that he went somewhere else after the game's events.

There's a lot of characters who could get main roles in future games in the Suikoden world, to tell the truth, since they make a lot of open ended stories for them.
Well you need to remember that sometimes important people like a general ie the queens knights would be sent to other countries tempending on what ever is happening usually to strenthen relations with that country or to achive some goal.

Clive,Cathari for Harmonia
Katsumi and Valeri from Toran
and the list goes on.

So its not completly impossible to see Toma as a queens knight or queens knights apprentice in a future game.

I mean S5 took place what? 5 years before 1. then 2 was 5 years after 1. and 3 is 15 years after 2? so thats 25 years later he could appear i mean Kyle was pretty young as a queens knight and 25 years later Toma should be older then Kyle was. They could even say hes travaling to perfect his skills or train another apprentice and see the world at the same time.
Patriarch

Queendom Nomads

15629 Potch
149 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Scott wrote:
I'd enjoy seeing Killey or Lorelai a more central role, but that's mostly just personal Bias. Killey could work if he was more like the Killey in Suiko II..he wasn't quite as..confrontational there? Lorelai could work too, her more prominent, barley, role in Suiko V was Kinda Nice.
Suikoden 2 garenteed them as reacuring characters and suikoden 5 game them a semi important role when ever new ruins are found we'll see then for some time to come garenteed. And now Zweig is in the mix as well and since Lorelai seems to be abit....light headed all 3 will probably appear again.

Artificity wrote:
Characters with absolutely no official back story are just screaming to be made central figures. Rikimaru for one. Vanished mysteriously? In search for revenge? THIS IS LITERARY GOLD PPLZ. I vote for Rikimaru as the next Suikoden plot device.

Or how Shin came to be Teresa's bodyguard. I think he's from Armes, even though there isn't anything official on this but you gotta wonder how'd a guy like him get with a dame like her.

What about Morgan....I really wanted Morgan in Suikoden 5 and i feel robbed in the fact that he wasent. I think that garentees that Morgan will never be seen again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden VI Speculation & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: