Suikoden Utopian and Inspirational Kosher Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Viktor's real motivation in Suikoden 1
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Backstory, History & Plot Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scarlet Assassin

Disciples of Death

331436 Potch
0 Soldiers
2442517 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Has anyone considered that maybe Viktor was just a hired goon? None of the members seemed to trust him, hence none of them would've had incentive to recruit him. Viktor is a lover of material things such as booze and swords, hence I doubt it would be incredibly hard to pay him to kill things for you. The way I see it, Flik probably saw him in a bar brawl with some soldiers, took advantage of his drunkeness and said something like "Wanna get back at those tin cans that just tried to toss you out and make a little booze money at the same time?" And honestly, what man could resist an offer of vengeance and cold, hard cash?

Chief of Beat-em-up Honeys Division, Devoted Protector of Lady Tifa Lockhart
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't recall any evidence that Viktor ever excepted any form of payment, save for room and board obviously, for aiding the Liberation Army under the leadership of either Odessa or Tir.

Viktor has a strong sense of justice, is a native of Jowston, a constant enemy of the Empire and grows attached to people quickly and easily. These seem plausible enough reasons to become a member of the Liberation Army. There doesn't have to be one defining reason.

If Viktor was truly some sort of 'hired goon', he'd have been out the door and far, far away as soon as the Old Liberation Army was decimated in Lenankamp.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Scrooge McDuck

The Flying Duckmen

885377 Potch
161 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

All the same; Odessa may have recruited Viktor because she was impressed with his strength and Flik did not trust him because "he is a rouge", "he is too rowdy", or "he is from Jowston".

I tend to think that Flik did not even that close to Viktor through the course of Suikoden. They may just became best buddy after their near-death experience while venturing Karakas Desert.

Saruzin

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Viktor kept fighting for the free beer

-There is neither a more trustworthy ally nor fearsome foe than you, Your Highness
- Shula Valya

-Every lie contains the truth, and every truth contains a lie - Shu
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Stampede

The One-Eyed Jacks

30154 Potch
11 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'd say it's just about certain that Flik never returned to the Warrior's Village. He's on his journey to find something or someone important to him and fight to protect it, right? So, let's say he does go back. The exchange goes like this, maybe.

"So, Flik, you're back. Have you finally found a name for your sword," asks the elder.
"Yeah," Flik responds, "Odessa is the name of my sword."
"And where is Odessa?" The elder asks, because Odessa is Flik's reason to fight.
"Oh, she's dead."

Yeah, that would go over real well.
yoonathan

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Both Viktor and Flik are alike in some way. They both had girls that they would die for and live with forever (Viktor's is Daisy and Flik's is Nina...jokes Odessa) Anyways Viktor tries not to show his anger and deprission and tries to move on, while Flik still hasn't. Flik was young in Suikoden 1 and it is cool how you can see in the game he matures more towards the end of the game. Suikoden 2 he seems much more older, older then Viktor, but you can still see he hasn't moved on.

Back on topic.

I think Viktor joined the Liberation Army to keep himself from bordem and something to do while he was searching for Neclord. When he was captured and Tir saved him he joins you back to re pay the debt sort of.

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Stampede, I'm pretty sure he said in Suikoden 2 that he had never completed his journey of manhood, which probably involved a ritual of some kind... I got the impression that the whole unicorn thing was unique.

Anyway, I dont know if I am remembering wrong... but how long did he say he was hunting Neclord? And... didn't Neclord seem to recognize him when he was transported back in time?

So... what true rune does he have?

Team Assassination

575125 Potch
200 Soldiers
900 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Victors real motivation in Suikoden 1 was to defeat Neclord. I believe he joined up with the Liberation Army in the first place as he would be able to confront Neclord at a later time. Lets not forget the fact that Windy and Yuber all hang out with him so travelling with the hero would be a good way to get there. I also believe that Victor originally started off as a mercenary and i think was hired by Odessa to join the Liberation Army from the get go. He became too attached to the Liberation Army that he decided to stay there even after he defeated Neclord at his castle. After the war ended he became a mercenary again and probably will not come back to the Scarlet Moon Empire. Also the fact that he can gain access to free beer in the Liberation Army could also be a motivator for Victor.
MMan9000
Ralphy Leone Tensei
Lymsleia Falenas
Splendid Monkey

Monkey`s Mad Marauders

96384 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don`t believe Viktor ever suspected that joining the Liberation army would eventually bring him to Neclord. Remember he almost strangled old Zorak (Warrior village chief) the moment he mentioned Neclord? I think deep down Viktor had given up hope of ever finding Neclord again and joined the original Liberation army because it would be fun. Well, that and the free beer, anyway! :*laugh*:
ferrouslupusrex

Ferrouslupusrex

563 Potch
673 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

From what we know of, it would seem that the Scarlet Moon Empire and the city states of Jowston (specifically Tinto and Southwindow) were possibly still engaging a war of some sort at that time. Viktor as we know was a resident of North Window and was obviously a citizen of Jowston.

Now, how would a citizen of Jowston be at SME during that turbulent time? Answer: Because he was a spy and was sent there to collect information for a possible Jowston offensive. Chances are his mission would possibly be to discover the solution to their gul horses problem. The armored cavalry were the elite fighting squad that has effectively repulsed Jowston invasion. Solving this problem would result to an excellent chance of Jowston victory. It is definite that Viktor was trapped SME during the entirety of the liberation wars (the only entry he knew of at the time of Suikoden 1 to the SME was the badlands via Moravia) so it is possible that he joined Odessa’s fledgling resistance group to spy some more about his primary mission or for another reason. After the fall of the SME, Viktor stole some fire spears which he and Flik carried on their journey as they traversed the badlands.

Flik, a toran citizen, was a perfect companion. Obviously he was still hurting from Odessa’s death and he surely did not want to be at Toran because it reminded him so much of Odessa. Chances are after he fished out Odessa’s festering corpse in the sewers and buried her, he and Viktor left in a hurry with fire spears that they smuggled out through Moravia. Now only one question remains why did the Jowston army not use the firespears against Toran? The answer may very well be because the highland kingdom started another aggressive war against the Jowston states or the states decided to abandon the war against Toran for a while.

Viktor and Flik were eventually hired by Anabelle to guard eastern muse and the rest is history.
Patriarch

Queendom Nomads

15629 Potch
149 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think he was in the army because even though he has a carefree attitude he still has his own ideals an he does what is right when he can. its been awhile but finding neclord and a way to kill him was just a bonus. he was just on a traveling quest to get revenge but most of the time it fell in the backround to what ever else he was doing.

I mean he never even had any idea of HOW to kill neclord. he didn't even seem to know about the vampire hunters you learn about in 2.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Backstory, History & Plot Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: