Suikoden Ugly and Inspirational Keystone Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Unpopular Video Game Opinions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ranadiel

The Squirrel Mob

68112 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

Then I hope you've never ever enjoyed playing Tetris, Sports games of any kind, DDR, Grand Theft Auto, or any fighting game...

Tetris is a higher form of evil. Sports games are just pointless because you are playing a video game of a physical activity that you could just get outside and do in person. I've never even seen a DDR machine, but if I did I might play it just to waste time. I absolutely despise Grand Theft Auto. As far as fighting games go I used to play them in arcades because randomly hitting buttons is more entertaining then talking with my family. I still enjoy Super Smash Brothers, but that is because I really like some of the characters in the game and enjoy figthing against other people. I have a feeling that this is the oppisite result then what you were looking for, but it is the truth.

Quote:

Probably one of the most difficult, but also one of the more exciting genres to play, in my opinion.

I might agree with you that they are one of the most difficult genres as far as reflexes and precision are concerned. I have nothing but the highest respect for the best FPS players because I know that there is no way I could ever pull off some of the stuff that they do. However I personally just do not find any enjoyment in them. The entire concept just doesn't appeal to me.
Quote:

You feel the thrill of gaming much more when you're on a battlefield.

I'll agree that it is much more entertaining on the battlefield. However I would say only on a medieval battlefeild. The feel of a sword in your hands as you are matching skills against another. There is just nothing that matches that. I would come up with a scenario like the one you listed, but I can't think of anything good at the moment.
Quote:

One essential property of the FPS game is to play against people who are roughly the same level as you are, or are willing to help you out, until you get comfortable with the controls and are able to shoot a gun and hit something.

I can just imagine playing in a game which consists only of people of my skill level. Twenty min into the game someone finally gets a kill. An hour later the second kill is made, and it just goes on like that. Alright I'm exagerating a little, I can kill things just no where near as effectively as the people I occasionally play with at school.
Quote:

I'm a strong believer that the story is not the only reason to play a game

Well I'm a strong believer that it should be the primary reason to play a game. I do think that other things should affect how much you enjoy it such as battle systems or side quests though.

Titles: Harmonian Tenki Star, Harmonian Jousting Champion
Arcana

The Engineers

190546 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
I'll agree that it is much more entertaining on the battlefield. However I would say only on a medieval battlefeild. The feel of a sword in your hands as you are matching skills against another. There is just nothing that matches that. I would come up with a scenario like the one you listed, but I can't think of anything good at the moment.

No game can accurately match the thrill of battle on a Medieval battlefield. I haven't found a single game that has represented well the excitement of a swordfight or can create awesome stories that you'd be willing to tell your friends.

I tell my friends stories of my FPS games, my Starcraft games, my Paintball games, and my SCA Fencing tournaments. I don't tell them about my RPGs or adventure games because there's no story to tell that other people care about and can relate to, unless they've played the game. Most competitive games, as long as they're familiar, even slightly, with the genre, can create a good War Story to tell. (Obviously this doesn't apply to everyone, but I hope you get what I mean).

As for your "20 minutes before anyone gets a kill", it's surprisingly easy to kill people once you get the hang of it, especially in a modern FPS based on current military hardware, where it only takes two shots to get a kill. I understand that I'm not going to REALLY convert anyone on an RPG board that the FPS is among the best style of game currently in existence, but damn it, everyone I've met who said, "Oh, I don't like FPS games", and then actually sat down and TRIED them in a LAN environment ended up enjoying themselves. They may not be hardcore junkines, but I'm pretty confident that they're not going to say "Man FPS suck, never going to touch one again."
the violent one

Homedogs

1000 Potch
5 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Mad Mage wrote:
One of my all time favorite RPGs is one of PSM's top ten worst PS1 games of all time. It's Torneko: the Last Hope. Now, the fact that PSM doesn't like it hardly fazes me since that magazine is crappier than most and that's saying a lot. But it does proove that I may have slightly odd taste. The folks who made it (Chunsoft) just released a new RPG called Nightmere of Druaga, and that game has gotten incredibly bad reivews. Too bad they were comparing it to games like FInal Fantasy because it's quite a good game IF YOU ACTUALLY LIKE THAT SORT OF THING LIKE I DO.

You guys should all go play it :p

TAKE THAT BACK FIEND!!!! PSM is the greatest Game magazine EVER! Your eyes dont even deserve to grace the words of PSM Torneko:TLH is in fact craptacular on a scale of 1 to 10 it was crap!!!PSM gives good videgame coverage + great humor I mean really Chris Slate, Randy Nelson, & Bill Donohue are the funnest people on the planet we call Earth, amen.

Oh yeah heres a thought dont expect extremely overrated to b actually good, people actually give in to the hype and b like my brother a total Halo 2 whore.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: