Suikoden Uncanny and Irenic Kibbutz Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Elemental Sword Runes

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Gameplay Questions & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Elemental Sword Runes
Good
31%
 31%  [ 5 ]
Bad
68%
 68%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 16

Patriarch

Queendom Nomads

15629 Potch
149 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:55 pm    Post subject: Elemental Sword Runes Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Are these ever worth useing? They were great in Tactics but in a normal game they seem pretty useless. There ment for melee fighters with low magic stats but to waste a turn just so you can have an element on your weapon? Whats the point?
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I personally never saw the use for them. I never used them, and if any character came with on, I took it off and sold it for potch, because it's just a wasted space. They have potential to be useful, however in Suikoden 3 they are absolutely useless, in my opinion. If anyone found some use in them, I'd love to hear it, really.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ezekiel

Mediocre Archer

119921 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I never ever use them, and am yet to see them being that useful in the long run.

Queendom Nomads

15629 Potch
149 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Gil-galad wrote:
I personally never saw the use for them. I never used them, and if any character came with on, I took it off and sold it for potch, because it's just a wasted space. They have potential to be useful, however in Suikoden 3 they are absolutely useless, in my opinion. If anyone found some use in them, I'd love to hear it, really.
Besides Tactics all they did was waste a turn.
CAPTAIN PLANET

Headstrong

317417 Potch
2460 Soldiers
500 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

They deal damage on top of the damage dealt already. Use the thunder sword rune against a water-based enemy, and it's great. It's mainly meant for characters who cannot use runic powers well.
ard, save the dirty talk for when we meet!
Patriarch

Queendom Nomads

15629 Potch
149 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

CAPTAIN PLANET wrote:
They deal damage on top of the damage dealt already. Use the thunder sword rune against a water-based enemy, and it's great. It's mainly meant for characters who cannot use runic powers well.
But why waste the turn? Why not just slap a water rune on then so they can heal? or even just use a Weapon rune (Viper, Titan etc)
Buff

Venus Doom

242611 Potch
0 Soldiers
6886538 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

some of the people have high magic sword power than a regular rune magic. like in three it'll show you who has high power in it. ya it's pretty much useless but for some it's worth it.

Devoted protector of Ferid and Arshtat
Shad

Midnight

4252503 Potch
200 Soldiers
38 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well I for one voted Bad. I've honestly never found the slightest use for them throughout the entire series. I don't necessarily object to it being there - after all, it adds yet another factor to the game, and it's the massive amount of detail that makes Suikoden so enjoyable in the first place. I personally have never found a practical use for them though.
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I used them a bit, afterwards I never really found the motivation to use them again.
eXistence of Fly

Pointy Sticks & Ponies!

1151694 Potch
7700 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Patriarch wrote:
CAPTAIN PLANET wrote:
But why waste the turn? Why not just slap a water rune on then so they can heal? or even just use a Weapon rune (Viper, Titan etc)

And if you were making a tank you would screw your tank to the shit. Frontliners in 3 in a general sense had a better rate with the magic sword runes than picking and choosing a rune to place on them of lesser value. For instance, Mua who has a Sword of Thunder rune I believe can attain a B skill in that where his magical skills only come to a C, so, since his physical defence is above average you could spend the rune slots and equipment you would use to increase his Magic skill in any 1 direction (of which you would need a +2 to equal base Sword of Magic Skill) on beefing up his Magic Defence and you have yourself a tank who is effective against the opposing element and has an increased defence against his own element.

In effect it's a lesser version of say the Fire Sealing rune (which was yay against Luca Blight when on Humphrey (max of 3 damage) for instance) with offensive capabilities as well. So they do have their uses, it simply depends on what you need your characters for, how you play the game and if you take into account that there are sweet didly squat times when an enemy absorbs an elemental attack. So in using the Sword of Magic runes you are increasing their single elemental resistance, adding an elemental physical attack (and you always physical attack more than you use runes) and optimising your equipment set on a person who by all means should have problems with magic.

Lonelion's Naval Fleet.

4727 Potch
106 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The Element sword runes were a nice thing in suikoden tactics,since you didn't always have time to repurchase Element beads.

http://www.myspace.com/lonelion7769
http://www.duefiumi.com
http://z6.invisionfree.com/suikocross
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Patriarch

Queendom Nomads

15629 Potch
149 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Lonelion wrote:
The Element sword runes were a nice thing in suikoden tactics,since you didn't always have time to repurchase Element beads.
They were awsome. everyone who wasnt a wizard had both the corrisponding weapon rune and an elemental sword rune. (except champo) there was never a way to get defeted with that set up.
KFCrispy

51948 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

they were great in Tactics, but they do need a serious make-over for the traditional series. they don't waste a turn in Suikoden III if your casting skill is fast enough, but it takes so much work to make it effective while at the same time it's more beneficial NOT to use it and use your precious rune slot and skill slot for other skills, especially passive abilities. considering it's a command rune, it should provide a better bonus.

the same can be said for the weapon-specific runes, although some of them are okay. in Tactics they had 3 types of attacks for different spell levels, and that should be continued in the normal series. they are nearly useless in every game.. who seriously uses a Viper Rune? 1/3 chance of kill or complete miss. great, why don't i just attack with a ~90% chance of hitting to cripple or kill the enemy outright, with a chance of critical, multi-hit, attacking another target, healing my HP, etc?? oh, and what's even better is when i use my command rune, i get unbalanced, my PDF=0, or can only use it once per battle or something... i can't believe how much development the runes got in Tactics yet nothing got carried over to V.
Patriarch

Queendom Nomads

15629 Potch
149 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

KFCrispy wrote:
they were great in Tactics, but they do need a serious make-over for the traditional series. they don't waste a turn in Suikoden III if your casting skill is fast enough, but it takes so much work to make it effective while at the same time it's more beneficial NOT to use it and use your precious rune slot and skill slot for other skills, especially passive abilities. considering it's a command rune, it should provide a better bonus.

the same can be said for the weapon-specific runes, although some of them are okay. in Tactics they had 3 types of attacks for different spell levels, and that should be continued in the normal series. they are nearly useless in every game.. who seriously uses a Viper Rune? 1/3 chance of kill or complete miss. great, why don't i just attack with a ~90% chance of hitting to cripple or kill the enemy outright, with a chance of critical, multi-hit, attacking another target, healing my HP, etc?? oh, and what's even better is when i use my command rune, i get unbalanced, my PDF=0, or can only use it once per battle or something... i can't believe how much development the runes got in Tactics yet nothing got carried over to V.

i found a new respect for weapon runes in tactics. and they dont seem all that bad in a regular game when given to someone like Dinn who isent made for spell casting he gets a free 1.5x dmg attack.
Archy

PRAISE BE TO... GROOOWL RAINING BLOOD

506257 Potch
0 Soldiers
800 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

In Tactics, they are quite possibly one of the most important aspects you will need to watch out for and manipulate over and over again.

Especially in the final stages, you'll need all the advantage you can get. It's a good idea to give each character a couple Force Beads of their element, they're cheap anyway and that's so that they can set themselves up for a long life, especially tanks like Kyril and Karl.

Besides that they're meh really, I never bothered putting them on the heavy hitters since they'd just kill the enemy either way.

Celes Tilly wrote:
If one of you were to ask, "Celes, what is Twisted Sister?" I would tell you God's honest truth.

"Butt rock."
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Gameplay Questions & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: