Suikoden Ugly and Illusional Keystone Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

NFL Star indicted for dogfighting
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: NFL Star indicted for dogfighting Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Even though it says NFL Star this could be any sport figure, celebrity or just any person rich, powerful and influential enough to think they're above the laws the rest of society seem to follow. For those who follow the NFL they would know the name Michael Vick. He's the star quarterback for the Atlanta Falcons and one who was seen by many as having all the talent in the world to become one of the best in his position. He's also seen by many as one of the more cocky and arrogant players whose attitude on and off the field leaves much to be desired.

During the NFL off-season Michael Vick has been in and out of the news in regards to off-field behaviors which has put him, his team and the league in a bad light. One of the more disturbing reports of this off-season was of a home in a suburb of Virginia which he owned that was being used to train dogs for illegal dogfighting matches. As more and more revelations came to light during state and federal investigations it was found out that fights themselves were being held on the property. Vick has denied being involved in such activities and explained that he was rarely at the house and had relatives and friends using it.

After several months of investigations it would seem the United States Federal government's attorneys and investigators will beg to differ with Michael Vicks denials and pleads of ignorance. On July 17, 2007 Michael Vick and three others were indicted by a federal grand jury of competitive dogfighting, procuring and training pit bulls for fighting and conducting the enterprise across state lines.

He hasn't been convicted of the crimes he's being accused of but unlike local and state attorney, federal prosecutors rarely file to indict someone unless they know they have a great chance of conviction. On record they have close to 95 percent conviction rate. I'm going to guess Michael Vick will really need to start worrying.

After that long prologue the thing which seems to bug me about all this is that there's still a chance while his trial is being prepared for that he'll still play football when the season begins. Yes, he hasn't been convicted of any crime. But just like all other athletes, celebrities and rich, powerful people they seem to get better treatment in the early going of a case against them.There's been anomalies like the Paris Hilton case where the book was pretty much launched at her, but her case has been against the grain when it comes to such individuals in court.

Do you think that money, fame and influence still helps in keeping such people out of jail or at least getting lighter sentences. Will the scope and brutality of the charges Michael Vick is accused of enough to convict him as guilty in the eyes of the public despite not even being found guilty or having even gone through the trial? And what do you think should be the penalty for people accused of treating dogs and animals in such a way?

Complete Grand Jury Indictment

Shocking charges - Indictment against Vick describes unfathomable acts

Midnight

4252503 Potch
200 Soldiers
38 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't know what the penalty is for this - I hope it's pretty severe - but in all fairness he's innocent until proven otherwise. Allowing him to continue playing until he's convicted isn't so much showing favoritism to major figures as it is a display of proper justice within the judicial process. In the non-existent chance he's proven innocent this won't be a major blow to his career, and that I suppose can be used for examples in normal cases with non-stars. If he is convicted and receives a lesser punishment than his crime deserves, then it's showing favoritism to celebrities and it's blatantly unjust. That we shall see when if it transpires. I hope the Paris Hilton deal has set of precedence for not letting people like that off the hook and he'll be punished properly.
fuji

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: NFL Star indicted for dogfighting Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Tullaryx wrote:
For those who follow the NFL they would know the name Michael Vick. He's the star quarterback for the Atlanta Falcons

Woah woah woah... calling this man a quarterback is quite the stretch.

I think he has to be allowed to keep playing. Unless he's a danger to leave the country or a danger to people around him, they can't very well lock him up. He is innocent until proven guilty technically... so he has to play.

I think anyone with enough money can manipulate the sentence they receive. It's the greatest legal system in the world... if you're rich. I would be very surprised to see him do time in jail.

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
Ezekiel

Mediocre Archer

119921 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think he should get life.

Oh, no, not for the dog thing. For having that much money, and being that much of a jackass. Who brings weed with them on a plane also? You guys remember that?

You're rich, buy some after you land! I have no respect for sport stars like him. All the money they need, and all they do is (expletive) up. Can you say the Cincinnati Bengals? They could make a sequel to The Longest yard with all the criminals on that team :*laugh*:

Legions of Zontar-Killers

817540 Potch
25 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Here is a quote that I thought was very informative and very damning of the Vick case, posted by someone at another site I frequent:

Ryan Harris wrote:
I practice law up north in Canada, but I know a fair chunk of US law and can help out a bit.

Because the feds decided to open their case with conspiracy charges there is a 100% chance that they have an absolute smoking gun that proves Vick and the 3 others are guilty. In fact if only one is guilty, but it can be proved that they are connected, then all 4 are guilty. For example, say there was a dog fight on an early sunday morning during the season. Obviously M.Vick wouldnt be there. But if a witness says a fight occured that morning at 1am, and Vick and one of his cohorts had a cell phone conversation at 1:30, then they are both guilty.(Obviously its not as easy as a cell phone call, but if this can be showed to occur a dozen times, its very damning evidence.)

Once conspiracy charges are “proved” the Feds will probably go after Vick for not paying tax on illegal income, ala Al Capone. Under the Rico act Vick can be punished extensively not only with prison time, but with extreme financial implications as well.

As far as the animal cruelty charges, that is a state level felony. I imagine a single count could net a 3-5 year sentence. With the evidence suggesting that Vick killed 8 dogs, now you are looking at 24-40 years; and thats for this offense alone.

Now if the Feds do their jobs thoroughly there will be no reason for the State charges to be levied. But they more than likely will be anyway to make the State Prosecutor look like he is in control.

I just looked it up and the Feds searched his property on June 7th, basically 5 weeks ago. They only entered the investigation on May 1st, 10 weeks ago. For the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT OF THE UNITED STATES to put together a case in 10 weeks, well that would STRONGLY suggest to me, that their is EXTREMELY STRONG evidence of Vick and Co’s involvement.

As far as Vick goes, his only chance is making a plea deal. More than likely however Vick is at the top of the pyramid, and therefore is the main target of the investigation. Unless George W himself is above Senor Mexico, their is no one for him to flip on.

In my opinion, Vick is as good as done. Even in the EXTREMELY UNLIKELY scenario where he avoids jail time, Goodell will be legally justified in giving Vick a lifetime ban.

In my personal opinion, I think Vick should be suspended from the league for this. While this is certainly the most serious trouble he has been in, it certainly isn't the first time he's had run-ins that resulted in negative press for the NFL. Given the NFL's new personal conduct policy and the actions taken on other players around the league, it would be wrong not to suspend him.

It should also be noted that Vick won't be there for the start of his team's training camp, because he has a court date on the 26th, in which the formal charges will be levied. In any case, I don't see Vick playing this year. He has a chance to be put away for a very long time, and will likely focus on his defense and prepare for trial rather than play football.

As an aside, I find the things listed in the indictment to be truly disgusting. I think he should be ashamed of himself if the charges are true.

I changed the number on my phone so you can't call me up at home, and you can't say those
things to me, that make me fall down on my knees.

Sailor Sexy

Mikan weeps for Brady

246380 Potch
175 Soldiers
50 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, even if Vick is found to be innocent, there's already been a ton of damage done to him financially. Pretty much every endorsement deal he had is now gone. Manufacturers are not going to make any apparel of his, he no longer will have trading cards made of him, and so forth. And this is all before any evidence has been presented. If he is found guilty, I think we can expect, based on how Roger Goodell is running things, that he'll recieve a very long suspension from the league at best. The NFLPA isn't nearly as powerful as the MLBPA, so they'd have a tough time overturning any sort of ruling that the commissioner hands down.

Personally, I hope that the charges against him turn out to be wrong and that he is innocent of this. Not because I'm any sort of fan of Vick, in fact I really don't like the guy. No, rather I feel this because I'm sick of certain players dragging the league through the mud. I'm glad Goodell is taking a tough stance on the thug life attitudes some of these people give off. We need to see a lot more accountability for people's actions in sports, and I hope the NFL cracking down on this behavior starts getting the other sports to follow suit.

~Uguu!~
ferrouslupusrex

Ferrouslupusrex

563 Potch
673 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well what do you expect? He IS/WAS a jackass. He needs to be sent to the pit. Let's see how he can claim it is a sport after the pitbulls rip his juggular out.
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It looks like Michael Vick has accepted a plea deal from the Federal Government to dogfighting conspiracy charges. The deal was done just before a new grand jury was to convene to add new charges under the RICO statutes which would've been worse for him if he had been convicted. RICO charges can turn any 5-7 year prison term into 20-to-life terms.

While the plea deal includes the offer of 18-36 months of prison time, the judge who is handling the case is not bound by any rule or regulation to follow the plea deal's sentencing offer. If the judge wanted to do so he could still give Vick the full amount of prison time the charges warrant.

I think it is safe to say that this particular celebrity athlete needs a fork in him for he is done.

Mediocre Archer

119921 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Tullaryx wrote:

I think it is safe to say that this particular celebrity athlete needs a fork in him for he is done.

That's what I like to hear. When I heard that he didn't accept a plea bargain, I laughed at how screwed he was. I hope he gets put away for a good amount of time.

The Executors of Harmonian Order

35712 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think it is fairly certain that he will never be playing football again, as a lot of people have been banned from proffessional sports for a lot less than this. I mean taking a plea has pretty much set this in stone, I mean being accused of something is one thing they couldnt ban him for. Anyone can come and accuse anyone else of just about anything, it doesnt mean it would stick, but I guess he chose considering how good the evidence must have been to just take the plea. There is word going around that part of the deal was them insuring that Micheal Vick would be able to play again as part of the deal, but there is no guarentee of that. Could you imagine the controversy and protest that would arise everywhere if the NFL decided to let Micheal Vick play again? Im surprised they havent already permanently banned him from playing ever again, unless that was included in the deal.

I do however agree with a statement a radio show host said here where I live, that if Micheal Vick were ever to play in the NFL again, their is no justifiable reason why baseball should not induct Pete Rose into the Hall of Fame. All Pete Rose ever did was bet on baseball, not even games he was playing in, and they wont let him in.

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I hope he never plays again. Look at what they did to Pac Man.... Vick should get 5x that. I a gree with Filipe; Pete Rose got banned from the HOF and he didn't even break a law. NFL is going to do this right though.

Slightly off-topic yet still related. An NHL player was found guilty of DUI and hit and run. This person is going to spend 6 months in jail. The courts, and league have allowed him to play the NHL season first, before going to jail. WTF is that!! Dude if it was you, me or anyone else we'd be in jail right now, our jobs/school be damned. NHL has an image problem and I wish they'd take at least some hints from the NFL on how to hand out stiff penalties.

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
Ezekiel

Mediocre Archer

119921 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Filipe wrote:

I do however agree with a statement a radio show host said here where I live, that if Micheal Vick were ever to play in the NFL again, their is no justifiable reason why baseball should not induct Pete Rose into the Hall of Fame. All Pete Rose ever did was bet on baseball, not even games he was playing in, and they wont let him in.

A f***in-men my friend. But I'd rather have Pete Rose not inducted in the NFL then grant that piece of shit Michael Vick the happiness of continuing to play. And on that NHL problem, that's bullshit. We need to stop treating these people liek they're somebody. That's what the money is for. So either take your millions, or be able to be above the law. I'm tired of both happening.

Confused Chaquita Banana Minions

464538 Potch
425 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I really hate Vick.... this whole situation is so fucked up. We had to pull all of the merchandise with his name on it from our shore not long ago (we're so close to Atlanta that we've got a lot of clothing/jerseys for the Falcons with players' names on them). Good riddance.

"And as the lion slaughters man, I am the wolf and you're the lamb." ~Blind Guardian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ezekiel

Mediocre Archer

119921 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yohn wrote:
I really hate Vick.... this whole situation is so fucked up. We had to pull all of the merchandise with his name on it from our shore not long ago (we're so close to Atlanta that we've got a lot of clothing/jerseys for the Falcons with players' names on them). Good riddance.

So, what's the backlash like in the ATL? God I hate that phrase, but, it does say what needs to be said.

Confused Chaquita Banana Minions

464538 Potch
425 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ezekiel wrote:
So, what's the backlash like in the ATL? God I hate that phrase, but, it does say what needs to be said.

It's pretty mixed, but just like everywhere else, really. You've got a lot of really understandably disgusted people. Unfortunately, there's a lot of weird crap going on it Atlanta, so while the Vick thing is still big, there's some other bizzare stuff going on (involving hitmen, and kids in the dryer and God knows what else) that's been cluttering up the news.

We've gotten a lot of people that've been acting what we did with the product and they were pleased to know that we had removed it from our shelves. They also had a few choice words to say about Vick and whatnot... not that I could disagree.

"And as the lion slaughters man, I am the wolf and you're the lamb." ~Blind Guardian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: