Suikoden Utopian and Inspirational Kosher Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Statistical Updates
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Budehuc Castle
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Tony Stark brings up a good point, considering the type of work I do. When I research competitor vehicles and analyze their specification... then compile a report, why should I distribute the result to our competitor for free? There should obviously be a price to such work. The idea that information of that kind should be free is baffling and beyond my understanding.
Acheron

Stonewall Brigade

172597 Potch
200 Soldiers
1325 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Your not paying for the information, your paying for the presentation. Since the info is free anyways. It's like paying for a car repair, you pay parts and you pay labor. The parts are free so you're paying for the labor.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Sadness

Razor Wind

3668814 Potch
14500 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Can mercenaries puchase this as well? I might be interested in buying reports on certain nations.
Geddoe

Eyepatches of the Faith

397934 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Vextor wrote:
When I research competitor vehicles and analyze their specification... then compile a report, why should I distribute the result to our competitor for free?

Why offer it to a competitor at all if they're your competitor? *blinks* I think that's what a few people are trying to say.

War Machine

536068 Potch
250 Soldiers
1600 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Leb wrote:
Tony, real nations also have spies. And real nations don't have absolute overlords who lay down rules that must be followed no matter what. Real nations are not a good comparison for our war game.

Neither is yours about the chef. I was just pointing out, information is traded for money in real nations all the time. Information, believe it or not, is a product.

Quote:
I'm glad you guys think it's nice to put a price on hard work everyone else has done quietly for the good of their own nation for years now.

New Armes has not compiled anything like what Highland compiles, we probably never will because that is entirely too much work for us. Since I know we cannot get anyone to do this work in my nation, paying for it is a pretty awesome alternative.

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Tony, Moskau made the chef analogy. Take it up with him.

Why does everyone bring up money, like it's my main beef?

Chief, supposing that you tried to sell the research back to the competitor, you don't think they'd find it offensive and self-serving of you? None of you see what the fuss is, but I do. Just as the guy being sold leftovers would, as well as Ford Motor Company.

And if you don't want to nip that kind of thing in the bud, fine. I can't make anyone do that or make them see things my way. But why should we be encouraging people to all go back to our war rooms and think up sleazy things to do to make an easy buck? Why should we be doing any of this?

Last edited by Leb on Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tony Stark

War Machine

536068 Potch
250 Soldiers
1600 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Geddoe wrote:
Why offer it to a competitor at all if they're your competitor? *blinks* I think that's what a few people are trying to say.

Because companies exist to make profit. Thus the price of information is relative to how much profit they would lose in selling the information plus a little more, so they'd make more profit. Both companies usually gain from this in the long run -- any economist will tell you that.

EDIT:
Leb wrote:
Chief, supposing that you tried to sell the research back to the competitor, you don't think they'd find it offensive and self-serving of you? None of you see what the fuss is, but I do. Just as the guy being sold leftovers would, as well as Ford Motor Company.

Ford probably actually does buy information from Toyota. They would not be insulted at all, it is an extraordinarily common business practice. Again, both companies profit.

Last edited by Tony Stark on Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The war game doesn't exist to make a profit, Tony. Your analogies are horrible.

And I know horrible analogies, which you've attested to.
Acheron

Stonewall Brigade

172597 Potch
200 Soldiers
1325 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Profit in context to your nation where potch supplies you the means to get soldiers, funding your national expansion and defense, which is the point of the war game. Is it really that difficult to understand that they are merely offering to do the labor on a posting statistical update every week in exchange for modest in game compensation?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tony Stark

War Machine

536068 Potch
250 Soldiers
1600 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I actually was answering Geddoe's question and wasn't making an analogy there, but thanks for playing.

And I wasn't referring to iscalio's analogy, but yours. Which you specifically called yours:

Lebenangel wrote:
What? My chef analogy is better.

No, Moskau, but I can damn well enter that restaurant and tell the cook I have a problem with him buying a steak for dinner and then trying to sell me his leftovers. Turns out second-hand information is just as undesirable as second-hand food.

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sadness wrote:
Can mercenaries puchase this as well? I might be interested in buying reports on certain nations.

We can provide a merc report. I never really thought about giving others other nations' updates since there's really no practical point to it. I suppose if you're a merc shopping around for a nation to join or just a statistics nut, it might benefit you.

This is an offer only. Take it or leave it. We aren't out of line in offering it and I won't have this descend into a petty fight. If you have legitimate questions or concerns, direct them to the Barracks.

-closed-
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Budehuc Castle All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: