Suikoden Unique and Illegal Kibbutz Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Member Attributes (Stats) FAQ and Rules
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:25 pm    Post subject: Member Attributes (Stats) FAQ and Rules Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Each member has recieved stats in the last few weeks, as you see in your profile and in each of your post. I hope to address questions concerning stats here. The stats are still a work-in-progress, and will continue to change. Thus, information here may change at any time.

1. What are stats?

"Stats" stand for statistics. At suikox, this points to attributes given to each of you based on numerous constants and variables.

2. What are the stats, and what do they do?

Here is a list of stats and their function--

Level - A number that serves to tell you generally how strong you are.

EXP - Experience Points: Your level goes up after you gain a certain amount of EXP.

HP - Hit Points: It serves no function at this time.

STR - Strength: It serves no function at this time.

MAG - Magic: It serves no function at this time.

SKL - Skill: It serves no function at this time.

PDF - Physical Defense: It serves no function at this time.

MDF - Magic Defense: It serves no function at this time.

SPD - Speed: It serves no function at this time.

EVD - Evade: It serves no function at this time.

KAR - Karma: It is a general reference to how long you have been at this site. It effects every single stat in certain ways.

Attack: The attack power of your regiment (Has no function at this time).

Defense: The defense power of your regiment (Has no function at this time).

Infantry Command: Your ability to command Infantry troops (Has no function at this time).

Archer Command: Your ability to command Archer troops (Has no function at this time).

Magician Command: Your ability to command Magician troops (Has no function at this time).

Cavalry Command: Your ability to command Cavalry troops (Has no function at this time).

3. How are stats determined?

The philosophy behind stat increase is to make sure they increase gradually. A general rule is that the more active you are, the better your stats get in the long-run. However, people who "spam" too much will probably see their power dwindle. It is understandable for people to have times when they post a lot, especially after they just have joined. However, if members are consistently posting a huge amount of posts (an average of 25 posts per day, or over a certain average words per post) and text, they probably won't see their stats increase very much, if at all.

The length you have been on this board is also critically important. My personal philosophy on website management is that repeat visitors are very important, and long-time patrons are to be respected. For this reason, people who have been around for a long time will have better stats. New people, on the other hand, will always have lower stats -- even if they try very hard to post a lot (and again, posting too much will hurt your stats). However, the more you stay longer, the work you put in while you were "younger" will probably start to pay off.

Rules

1) Do not engage in perfidious activity for the purpose of raising stats.Perfidious activity refers to actions such as abusing bugs in the code for gains, posting huge amounts of copy/pasted materia without quote tags, and purposefully using many redundant phrases to increase your word count (this clutters up threads with a bunch of unnecessary crap).
Repeat offenders will be "crippled."

2) Do not complain about stats.
The stats are a minor feature of this board. When people take it too seriously and start complaining about how low their stats are, or how high other people's stats are (and how "unfair" things are), it gets really annoying for me personally. You can either be happy with what you have, be indifferent, or I can invite you out of this site.

3) Do not disseminate the formula.
There are many clever folks here who are good with math at this forum. You are free to take a crack at figuring out how stats work, etc (although I guarantee this is impossible, because there is no real "formula" anymore). You can make assumptions, muse over how it works, etc. However, passing around or posting information about the formula is not allowed. This is a minor problem, and I doubt this rule will be enforced bery much, if at all. However, it helps me personally if people are capable of keeping a secret.

Last edited by Vextor on Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:27 am; edited 3 times in total
Neclord

The Spectral Nightmares

163602 Potch
2 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Member Attributes (Stats) FAQ and Rules Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

SARSadmin wrote:
if members are consistently posting a huge amount of posts (an average of 25 posts per day, or over a certain average words per post) and text, they probably won't see their stats increase very much, if at all.

Just a quick question, Doesn't this hurt the stats of those who post in high volume with high word counts that actually contribute to the forums?

SPAM is bad yes but isn't it a good thing that people are interested enough to post, thoughtful and insightful additions to the discussion?

Not complaining, just curious

You must not fear death, my lads; defy him, and you drive him into the enemy's ranks.
~ Napoleon Bonaparte
Scarlet Assassin

Disciples of Death

331436 Potch
0 Soldiers
2442517 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I was going to ask that.

I have a second question though, in reference to the amount of time a member has been on the board issue.

If a member of the board has been an active member for about six months, but then go on hiatus (or their computer breaks for a long period of time) will their stats be negatively affected in any way? If so, would they then be equal to a person who was just as active as them but have only been members for the amount of time that the original person would now be chronologically equal to?

That sentence was confusing, let me give you an example.

Member A is a member for 8 months, he posts regularly and is a contributer to the site.

Member B joins four months later than him and is equally as helpful to the growth of the board.

Member A's harddrive is suddenly infected with more viruses than he can handle and he loses computer abilities.

Member B remains active at a steady rate.

Four months later Member A returns and resumes his activities.

Would that four month absence make up for the four month deficit that B started with?

Chief of Beat-em-up Honeys Division, Devoted Protector of Lady Tifa Lockhart
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Horned Loa

Guardians of the Merchant

96000 Potch
1000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

TheNeclord wrote:
Just a quick question, Doesn't this hurt the stats of those who post in high volume with high word counts that actually contribute to the forums?

SPAM is bad yes but isn't it a good thing that people are interested enough to post, thoughtful and insightful additions to the discussion?

The short answer is, yes. It does hurt those that contribute to the forums a lot without spam. It is unfair on those who come here and are a huge contribution to the forums. Feel free to look at my stats and then compare them to my joining date, my post count, word count, posts per days, average words per post and total soldiers. You'll notice that my stats are considerably low even with contributions as such as the Newbie FAQ for example.

However, the stats have been implement but they still have little to no use. I'll still most likely beat just about anyone in suikox were I to face them in military combat as duels are still only getting implemented and there are still no disadvantages to backing away from a duel. I believe that I'm also a relatively well known face around these forums right now, and I hope I've earned some sort of respect from others that visit suikox.

If you come here as a new poster simply for your stats, then you've missed the site by a long shot. There are other online games that let you build your military forces and wage war, where you get boost depending on your activity levels. This however is a SUIKODEN site primarily with the stats and battles there as a little bonus. Those that come here are usually fans of Suikoden. Those that stick around for a long time say six months or more are usually dedicated fans who'll most likely stay the distance. Newbies come and go and you get everything from zero posters to the energetic beasts. I had a post per day count of 47.5 for the first two days of joining this forum.

I know my stats aren't flash at the moment but three months have already passed and it seems like I joined the forums just yesterday. Time flies and we will all eventually have great stats. Besides they might be re-implemented again so don't look into it too much. I'm sure SARS is very aware of who gets hindered and how. He has his reasons and I assure you they are good ones.

MF wrote:
If a member of the board has been an active member for about six months, but then go on hiatus (or their computer breaks for a long period of time) will their stats be negatively affected in any way? If so, would they then be equal to a person who was just as active as them but have only been members for the amount of time that the original person would now be chronologically equal to?

Well my question to you is......does it really matter? I mean I understand what you mean, but who really cares if your stats are lower or higher than some inactive person who hasn't been here in who knows how long.

The answer to your question however would be that he would have FAR higher stats then you would at the time you join but over time his stats would gradually decrease whilst yours would go up. At the point and time you state he might have higher stats, but if you remain active...you'll surpass him sooner or later. I know its your personal stats and all of us have egos but it is only a useless number really. Nothing more, nothing less. I don't see why many make such a big deal out of it (I'm not implying you two are right now....just generally). Its just a new addition to the site....just like the advertising forum.
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Member Attributes (Stats) FAQ and Rules Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

TheNeclord wrote:
SARSadmin wrote:
if members are consistently posting a huge amount of posts (an average of 25 posts per day, or over a certain average words per post) and text, they probably won't see their stats increase very much, if at all.

I can tell you that in all my years administrating forums, I have never met anyone who posts over 25 lengthy, well thought-out posts / day (on average, that is). It just doesn't happen--and besides, people who are capable of making lengthy, well thought out posts would likely not be so vain as to get upset over stats-- so there is no need to worry about this.

If people do get discouraged because of this, that is wonderful. People like that can seek their fortune in some other forum.

Furthermore, sometimes people go into a phase of making lengthy posts, but even then it will balance out with days when you are less active.

Also, this is to everyone--

Quote:

2) Do not complain about stats.
The stats are a minor feature of this board. When people take it too seriously and start complaining about how low their stats are, or how high other people's stats are (and how "unfair" things are), it gets really annoying for me personally. You can either be happy with what you have, be indifferent, or I can invite you out of this site.

This is already effective.
Wiseman

Army of the Six Wise Men

110280 Potch
250 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Black Fang you are the last person who should be complaining about stats. They don't even do anything yet and with the way you post you'll have higher stats than most.

Guardian of the Great Forest

Battle wounds and scars is how I show my pain
My palms covered in the blood of those I've slain
Yet I still keep comin back all the same...
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1121979 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The stats are a cool addition but, like others have said, are minor and serve no purpose at the moment other than being cosmetically appealing. I think it goes without saying that SARSadmin didn't create the stats just so all the members could go ape and work out ways to exploit the system. Should they eventually become integral to any particular system, he could most likely make them invisible to everyone other than the admins if he feels it would be beneficial that way.

Sure, it's only human nature to want to be the best, but there's no reason to complain about how x-rule affects stats, which in turn hurts really active members. It's supposed to be a game for everybody to enjoy, not some "mine's bigger than yours" contest.

Like SARSadmin said, be happy with what you've got. While I haven't been to too many forums on the internet, I've never come across any with the plethora of features this one has. If complaining about how low or unfair stats are is our way of thanking SARSadmin and the admins for the work they put in, it's a wonder why they haven't just shut this place down. They've definitely got more patience than I.

"You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel.
Time was never on my side, So on I wait my whole lifetime."
Wiseman

Army of the Six Wise Men

110280 Potch
250 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It looks like Karma has a bigger effect on stats now, which is why newer people's stats decreased as opposed to those who have been here a while.

Guardian of the Great Forest

Battle wounds and scars is how I show my pain
My palms covered in the blood of those I've slain
Yet I still keep comin back all the same...
Horned Loa

Guardians of the Merchant

96000 Potch
1000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The Man that says he is wise wrote:
Black Fang you are the last person who should be complaining about stats. They don't even do anything yet and with the way you post you'll have higher stats than most.

Ummm.........I wasn't complaining here heh. I was just using my stats as an example. Like I said....over time we'll all have huge stats and we'll its not just a sudden spur of the moment thing that is valued as much as the member that come here and have been sticking around for a long while now. I personally don't care about the stats.......except for my speed rating. *hugs my speed stat* :D

Elf wrote:
Sure, it's only human nature to want to be the best, but there's no reason to complain about how x-rule affects stats, which in turn hurts really active members. It's supposed to be a game for everybody to enjoy, not some "mine's bigger than yours" contest.

LOL :lol: *childishly smirks in the background*

We see man wrote:
It looks like Karma has a bigger effect on stats now, which is why newer people's stats decreased as opposed to those who have been here a while.

Well it seems better that way.....if you think about it in terms of suikoden characters. I believe that before people start asking or complaining (I said OR) about the stats they should generally think about it from a suikoden perspective. A NEW cadet has little to no chance of beating someone as experienced as Luca Blight for example.......no matter how hard they train....yet over time you'd build up depending on your activities. Its always good to think in a suikoden way and then try and apply it to the system and you'll see that its pretty spot on.
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Just the fact that I have STATS make it look cool. There will always be people stronger than myself, and there will always be people weaker than myself.

A warning to some people, some Nation Leaders may impliment rules within your particular forum to do with stats, complaining and bragging. So while they may not be board rules, they may be nation rules.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Just out of curiousity, could the stat actually decreases? Or would the worst possible scenario be "you're not gaining stats as much as before but you're still gaining stats none the less"? Assuming that it wasn't edited manually by the admins/mods (if that's even possible) that is.

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Stats can decrease, yep. Not that much though, but people who have not been active for a long tile will see stats decrease. However, it won't be too difficult to gain it back if you have high karma.
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

very intersting, you can rest assured I won't crack your math code, for math is my kryptonite (and other things)

the thing with the longer stays, and posts couts though, Its somthing that personaly bothers me, thats why I hesitate to join new forums, Because I'm out of place and have smallish numbers. But here I almost feel important. I'm a frequent visitor, I post and I "was here for a bit" when SARS was on an EZ board, Its just now I'll feel worse if Id leave. I'm almost wondering what the battle stats are for, I mean are we going to wail on each other personaly soon?(i'm use to flame wars so the idea perplexes me)

we're all going to need to pay more attintion now huh? its just I don't think I'll like how stat atrophy works.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Drizzt

Rangers Of Mielikki

250081 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah all these stats seem alright to me, and most of us seem as though we are mature enough not to be too concerned over who has more stats than another, I mean it is just an extra function that SARS implemented so an addition or 'extra' is always a good thing to me. And it might encourage some of the newer people to remain active and perhaps not lose interest over the first few months of their stay here so they can gain more, which is as well always a good thing.

Hey I had pretty much been absent from this site for quite a while since now (two months as a rough estimate) and my stats seem fine and perfect to me so there are definitely no problems here. Job well done SARS. You only continue to improve an already great site/forum with new and exciting features so nice work.
Solitude

Fallen Angels

495 Potch
125 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Kuwaizair wrote:

But here I almost feel important. I'm a frequent visitor, I post and I "was here for a bit" when SARS was on an EZ board, Its just now I'll feel worse if Id leave

You are an important member to Suikox my friend and I to am going to feel horrible when I have to leave (June 20th 79 more days :cry:)

The stats were added by SARS to increase the element of fun on this site. He didn't have to do it and quite frankly he put a lot of work into doing it. I for one appriciate the work he put in a great deal and am happy for the stats even if they don't have a purpose at this point. Even if I never see the purpose of the stats I am still glad they are here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Budehuc Castle All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: