Suikoden Urgent and Infamous Kraalesque Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Arshtat's Crown

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Culture & Geography Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Arshtat's Crown Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Does anyone else here think that there could be relation between the royal crown of Falena and Toyotomi Hideyoshi's helmet? Allow me to explain my reasons for thinking so, Toyotomi Hideyoshi's helmet may look absolutely nothing like the crown:

However, the large rays are meant to represent the sun. It could be me reading into it too much - it could be that the crown is designed for the Sun rune and only the Sun rune and this is just a coincidence, but I suppose it's worth bringing up. Seems like Konami took some inspiration from Japanese religion when they came up with the whole "Sun Goddess" idea, probably coming from the Shinto deity Amaterasu. I won't state some of the obvious things (like I just did), but maybe it's something to think about...

What do you think?
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't think so, considering the helmet looks nothing like the crown, although the helmet was indeed inspired by Hideyoshi's boyhood name, "hiyoshi" (auspicious sun).

Arshtat is also a name derived from Zoroastrianism, which is a religion that also has considerable sun-worship of its own. The idea of "Sun Goddess" isn't also a Shinto monopoly--in Egyptian mythology, Sekhmet is a Sun Goddess (representing the destructive side). Her mother is the goddess Hathor, who represents Dawn. Her brother is Ra, who is also a sun god.

In Norse mythology, Sol (Sowilo) is the sun goddess. Sol is also referenced in a number of other Germanic folklores, which is likely why the Sun is given a female gender in German.

Considering how Arshtat ended up using her powers more for destruction than anything, she seems to identify more with Sekhmet. This along with some Egyptian influences seen in Falena as a whole (especially in antiquity), I'm leaning more towards Egyptian / Persian influence than Japanese influences.
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Vextor wrote:
I don't think so, considering the helmet looks nothing like the crown, although the helmet was indeed inspired by Hideyoshi's boyhood name, "hiyoshi" (auspicious sun).

I agree it looks nothing like the crown, in fact I said it didn't. :P

I see what you mean about the Egyptian and Persian influences in Falena, with New and Old Armes making frequent appearances, I was really focusing more on the crown and helmet more than anything like religion and/or characters themselves though (although I did include that). Reading your post you've convinced me Shintoism has not influenced Falena in the way I had said though. While, again I agree with you about Hideyoshi and the reasoning for his helmet - that's not the reason I mentioned it. I just found it strange that Queens of Falena have a similar kind of strange, symbolic headwear. I can't think of many other characters in the series that wear anything on their head like that.
CAPTAIN PLANET

Headstrong

317417 Potch
2460 Soldiers
500 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Arshtat's Zoroastrain influences go into her mannerisms, too. Arshtat (also known as Arshetat, or Ashdad) is the angel of justice, also the 26th day of the Zoroastrain calendar. The symbol of that day is scales, symbolizing justice, law, and balance. In the game, Arshtat makes several comments of justice and law.

As for her crown, it seems very Egyptian to me. The Falenan royal family's clothing, as well as the Queen's Knight's outfits, have Egyptian, Ancient Chinese, and Japanese influences, so the crown seems more Egyptian than anything to me.

EDIT: A picture of an ancient carving of Ashdad, showing rays of the sun around her.

http://www.archeo.ens.fr/8546-5Gren/clrweb/3aA1afrasiabfouilles/3aA1afr asiab5c.jpg
ard, save the dirty talk for when we meet!
Sir Kan of Grassland

Magicians of Lordlake

500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't know.
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Deleted double post by Sir Kan. I am leaving his sparkling insightful original post here just so I can bring it up as evidence someday.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Culture & Geography Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: