Suikoden Urgent and Infamous Knowledge Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Are You In a Bad Mood When Your Team Loses?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thor McOdin

Stupid Sexy Flanders!

1757439 Potch
4444 Soldiers
4225 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:00 am    Post subject: Are You In a Bad Mood When Your Team Loses? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

After the first loss, I was upset. How could they blow a game after winning seven series straight?! After the second loss, I was worried. After the third, I was disappointed. A week later, the Colorado Rockies (I love baseball) have dropped eight straight games after being the hottest team in baseball. As a closer, Fuentes can personally be blamed for four of these losses and I am currently psuedo-depressed. After a rough week at work and the fact that my paycheck doesn't come until next week, I expected at least one win. Right now, I am just left with the horrible feeling of depression that can usually be granted to a fan.

Anywho, as fans of sports, do you all get worked up to the point of actually harming your own well-being when your team loses? I didn't think I could suffer from this, but I apparently am not immune to the effects of sports.

Not all ninja codes are brewed equally. Here at Shinobi, we use the choicest Bavarian hops that are ripened to perfection. One sip and we will have you saying...nothing.
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1121979 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The only sports team I care about is the Vancouver Canucks of the NHL. Naturally, you'd rather see your team win, particularly during the playoffs, but I don't really get bothered if they lose. With this past season, I was happy that they broke team records for the season. What really bothers me is how people tend to be "bandwagon jumpers" and start blasting the team when they lose, despite singing their praises during winning streaks. It's especially pathetic when those slinging the insults couldn't do any better themselves.
Ezekiel

Mediocre Archer

119921 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yes. I'm a Pittsburgh Steelers fan, and have been since I was a baby. We went nuts when they won the Super Bowl. The next year....well....we had some depressing Sundays :( But yeah, I do get upset and/or angry.

Legions of Zontar-Killers

817540 Potch
25 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm a diehard fan of the Dallas Cowboys, and I can get pretty upset about a loss--but it usually depends on the circumstances. For example, when the Boys went 5-11 three seasons in a row, I wasn't terribly upset because I didn't expect much out of them. I was a little exasperated, true, but not upset or angry.

Last year provided many opportunities for me to get pretty upset over the games though, to the point of feeling physically sick. Two events come to mind, though there were more than two:

1. Dallas' loss to Seattle in the playoffs which was the heartbreaker of all heartbreakers. In my humble opinion, the ball should never have been respotted since the video evidence wasn't conclusive, but in a season of misfortune at inopportune times, it was a fitting end. Even knowing that didn't make me feel any better.

2. Washington's improbable win in the regular season against them on a field goal with no time on the clock--a field goal that only happened because Dallas' own field goal was blocked, and a Dallas player committed a 15 yard face mask penalty with the game clock at zero. That put the Washington Redskins just inside field goal range, and though their kicker had shown that he wasn't even close to reliable at that range, he made it anways. Of course he did. I was also upset because the face mask should have been of the 5 yard variety, since it didn't change the runner's direction if I recall correctly and was a grab and release. But, I don't believe that that is reviewable under the current replay rules.

Having one of these things happen is bad luck--having both of them happen is fate. Terrible, terrible fate.

I changed the number on my phone so you can't call me up at home, and you can't say those
things to me, that make me fall down on my knees.

Felipe

Intelligent Turtle

584845 Potch
1200 Soldiers
500 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I used to be really mad when Brazil's soccer team lost. After a while it became so normal I don't even care anymore.

PRAISE BE TO... GROOOWL RAINING BLOOD

506257 Potch
0 Soldiers
800 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Not when my team loses. I hate it when the team I'm for against wins.

A very good example is the WWE. Heard of John Cena? Yeah.

Celes Tilly wrote:
If one of you were to ask, "Celes, what is Twisted Sister?" I would tell you God's honest truth.

"Butt rock."
Felipe

Intelligent Turtle

584845 Potch
1200 Soldiers
500 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

And there is the thing when you are playing on a team, and you are giving 100% while the rest of the team is like 30% or something. That really makes me mad.

Mountain Stallion Riders

336708 Potch
200 Soldiers
14 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Only if the team deserved a better result, otherwise no.

This post is officially Fundertaker Approved
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Largely depends on what the game is, who the opponent is, and how the game goes.

If it's not an important game against an opponent who I don't hate, and my team is simply outplayed, then it's okay. But if it's an important match against a rival and my team lost because of fluke, then yeah, I'd be in a bad mood.

Obviously runs also mattered. I bet losing once would feel so different than losing ten in a row or something.

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Pretty easy way to answer this question for me and that is always, the severity of the bad mood depends on the manner of loss but I can never be happy if my team has just lost something.

It's been a bad year for me as a Flyers fan.

Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay -
The worst is death, and death will have his day.
Sailor Sexy

Mikan weeps for Brady

246380 Potch
175 Soldiers
50 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh definitely, for a few reasons. First off, naturally no one likes to see their favorite team lose. If they didn't mind that much, then they probably only have a passing interest, or such low expectations, such as me expecting the Phillies to fail to get into the playoffs every year. They don't let me down! But if the Patriots have a bad year, then yes, I'm gonna be in a real bad mood.

That leads me to this reason, and that's because if you know me, or as you'll find out over time, every year I'll be saying the Patriots are going to win it all. I was saying that even when they sucked, but once they started winning it all, I couldn't seem to bring myself to go back to the days when they wouldn't. It made me look stupid, just because the more success they had, the more vocal about them I became. Vicious cycle.

Also, the extent on my bad mood depends solely on how badly my team let a game slip away. I can handle a pure ass kicking much better than I can handle a game that's close, or one that slipped away. I'll be much less angry if my team lost 56-0 than if they lost 10-7 on a last second field goal. Or, in the case of last year, when the Patriots were so dominant over the Colts in the AFC Championship, only to forget how to come out of the locker room and have an abysmal second half of ball. Anyone who was on chat at that time could likely see the difference in my mood as the second half progressed.

So, I figure if one of my teams starts having bad years consistently, then the pain of losses will fade a bit, but I'll still always be a little disappointed if they do not do well.

~Uguu!~
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't know, I think strong supporters can just enjoy the game if their team loses. Although I understand that losing never goes smoothly, for any team depending on how they play it is hard to lose graciously, often with one team showing up the other by a large margin. I suppose this is why it is hard to take it sometimes.
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1121979 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I agree with Uji on this one. It's one thing to be disappointed when your favourite team loses, but it's much less stressful if you don't let it get to you because, really, what can you do about it? Back in 1994, the Vancouver Canucks lost game seven of the Stanley Cup finals to the New York Rangers and those assembled to watch the game in Vancouver ended up rioting.

There's no point to being a sore loser if your favourite team wins since it won't do anything to change the result, nor will it do anything to improve your team in their next outing. When it's all said and done, it's just a game and unless you have a large amount of money invested in a particular result, just sit back and enjoy the game and hope for a better result the next time if your team comes out on the losing side.

Archy, I hear you on the John Cena thing. What I typically do these days is just stop watching whenever there's a Cena match, unless it's a pay-per-view event, then I just shake my head at yet another one of his miracle wins.
SolemnSound

Solemn Sound

330634 Potch
100 Soldiers
48 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

for D.C United (Major league soccer team located in maryland for those who dont know) I get rather dissapointed when they lose and somewhat upset but i dont get that upset that is affects me or I go rioting in the streets or something like that. Last time I got somewhat disssapointed over one of their losses was in the east coast championship game which decided who went to the finals and they lost 1-0. the first goal was scored in the first 3 minutes of the game and nothing happened after that goal except a lot of shots by D.C united and many very close goals but nothing went in =(

Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have to agree with Sailor here about people who don't get in a bad mood after their team's recent loss. I've noticed that even the most level-headed person I know will get into quite a bad, or at least downtrodden mood when their favorite team has lost. It doesn't really matter whether it was a blow-out or a close game, the loss was all that mattered to them. Of course, how they lost would determine the level of disappointment and mood their in. Those who shrug it off quite quickly and easily have a tendency to follow their team in a casual basis. I call these the casual fans. They're the ones most likely to jump off and on the bandwagon depending on their team's success or lack thereof.

I can get into a very sullen mood when my favorite team loses. Yes, there's not much a fan, even one as dedicated as myself, can do when one of my favorite teams loses but the fact that I care enough how they do tells me that I am not the casual type willing to abandon the team when their fortunes turn for the worst. I always go into every season with the thought that my teams will succeed and improve on their previous season. It's really the only way a fan should think. Why root for a team if one was not hoping and expecting the best out of them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: