Suikoden Ugly and Illegal Keystone Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Martial arts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Splendid Monkey

Monkey`s Mad Marauders

96384 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

A martial arts topic!!! :mrgreen:

I`ve been into Martial arts since I was 15. I`m quite active on a Dutch Martial arts forum. I used to do Taekwondo for about 7 years and got to red/black belt. Just before 1st dan, you could say, and did about 2 years of Wado Karate at the side. In Japan I practiced Kendo and Kyokushinkai Karate. The latter of which is a full contact Karate style. Back in Holland I decided to quit Taekwondo and switch to Kyokushin permanently as I was pretty fed up with the point-orientated sparring. Despite having had to start over again from white belt I find the training to be much more satisfying. :mrgreen: I hope I can pick up Kendo again some time in the future.
Omerta

Fighting First

139174 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I took karate when I was in the third grade and that was about it. I learned some new things going through basic combat training for the army though.
HarmonianHiccup

Over-Enthusiastic Archaeologists

1333002 Potch
444 Soldiers
440 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh, hooray! I love martial arts topics~!

I started in Tae Kwon Do when I was nine (well, my MOM started me in TKD. I wanted to be a ballerina at the time. No such luck.) It was your standard compition based, heart-breakingly expensive drill-sargeant-for-an-instructor sort of a place--I lasted a few years there but was pretty quickly dishearted and I made it only as far as my green belt. Aside from that, it cost an arm and a leg to test or move forward at ALL, so I found myself stagnating. I couldn;t afford to test and they refused to teach me beyond my belt level, even if I had "mastered" the lower level techniques.
Looking back years later I finally figured out one reason why I hated it so bad--one of the "masters" was verbally abusive and I had a hard time wanting to go into a dojo ever again after all that.
Despite that I kept practicing on my own until I was in high school, where I discovered a more traditional korean dojo and stuck with that one for about four years--I hit my brown belt and then had to watch helplessly as the dojo sank financially and then finally collapsed all together, leaving me on my own again.

It was last spring when two girls wandered into the Gamestop where I was working at the time. They were wearing dojo shirts that listed traditional Japanese martial arts, so I decided to give it a try.
The dojo turned out to be for Seito Shito Ryu Karate and both Isshin Ryu Iaido and Toyama Ryu Battojutsu-whatever etc. (I'm not so great with swords. I love it but I have come to the conclusion that if I want to make a point, so to speak, I should make it with my fists).

The sensei was a young-ish thoughtful fellow who allowed me to observe the class and eventually take part, while reserving any real statement on my joining. After a couple of times going I approached him about price and was dismayed to find that, though it was a lower price than I would have ever dreamed possible, it was still beyond my meager and limited means. So I went home still dojo-less, after thanking him for bothering to take the time for me.
I got a phone call a copuple of days later. It was the sensei, telling me that he'd half the price for me (and my little bother, who went through most of all of this with me) because, though tuition was necessary, it would be a sorry shame for us to not be able to train because we couldn't afford it. He said that we had talent and discipline and that he wanted us for his dojo (one of the greatest compliments I have ever received).

So we started in Seito Shito Ryu--it's not THAT different from traditional TKD, but there are bad habits I'm still trying to break. Sensei granted both my brother and myself an inter-school black belt after reviewing our abilities with HIS senior, but I will test for my actual Seito Shito Ryu Shodan (1st black) in November.

There we go. A freakin' novel and everything you NEVER wanted to know about my martial arts experience.

Let me just say thisI love Karate. I love the form, the discipline, the moments it gives me to focus on ONE thing instead of being bombarded from a thousand different directions, which is how I spend most of my life. It is my Way, and I am gald to follow it.

Proud Owner and Operator of The Hiccup's Speciality Grassland Atelier, the only place to find Electric Whiffle Bats!
ferrouslupusrex

Ferrouslupusrex

563 Potch
673 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yaw Yan. Dance of Death. Capoeira like filipino martial arts with some moves that can be easily incorporated to Stick or Sword Fighting. Plus it has a cool name. I am merely a spectator though and never participated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: