Suikoden Uncouth and Irrational Kosher Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

School fund raising activities.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LordMcDohl

Window-pecking Humming Birds

1000 Potch
101 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:37 am    Post subject: School fund raising activities. Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Talk about fund-raising activities organized by schools to raise funds for better school facilities here, other types of fund-raising activities by other societies, clubs and individuals are welcome too.
Quote:
My school places too much emphasis on straight 'A's.

This is part of a post I made in another thread. I still believe in the accuracy of the statement, but now, I am convinced that there's at least another thing that they care about more than that - money.
Recently, my school organized a Jogathon to raise money. According to the donation card given, the money raised will be used to improve library facilities, pay for certain programmes(for the students), improve the school hall, pay for adjustments for the school, pay for the maintenance of the school's appearance and security(security guards) and to fund
co-curricular activities. I wonder how many of these will actually be done?
How much financial help do they really need?
On Monday, a representative from the PIBG(Parent's Teacher Association) came during assembly to encourage students to collect money for the Jogathon. He applied "psychological tactics" to convince students to give more than the "suggested" RM 50. According to that man, their target is RM 1 million. Not a small amount. In fact, I would go as far as to say an impossible amount. We had sales for a Canteen Day for the past 2 years. The total didn't even reach RM 500,000 each year and you actually get goods in exchange for the coupons. In any case, he tried to convince us by talking as if we'd already agreed to try our best to collect donations and he said things like "if you feel that you can do it, then collecting RM 500 or even RM 1000 is not a problem". He wasted a whole period of class with his speech plus he already took time from our assembly.
That was not the last of it. On Thursday, we received another speech from a teacher in our school. That took up another period of lessons. The teacher even taught us how to beg for money from our aunts and uncles. Here's the best thing she said. "You are only here because we need you. If we didn't need you, you wouldn't be here." In my opinion, she was implying that we were there only because they needed us to collect money. She even told us about rural area schools where the facilities are in very poor conditions and how lucky we were to be able to have a nice school area. She says that the rural area schools cannot raise funds for themselves since just about everyone there doesn't have much to spare. She even said we were lucky we could actually help our school. I think we should try to help the rural area schools instead...
Finally, today, Friday, the head of the Parent Teacher Association came and delivered yet another speech with the same objective. Thankfully she didn't take too much time.
I'm not saying collecting money for your own school is wrong. However, in the case of my school, I strongly suspect that if the accounts get checked, there will be a huge sum of money missing.

Last edited by LordMcDohl on Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:33 am; edited 2 times in total
Inko

Nikostratos

629196 Potch
5000 Soldiers
465 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Most schools are in rather bad condition funding wise. funding for schools has never been the greatest and fund raisers help every now and then. as far as the imposible goal is concerned, you always need an idea of profection so you can at least attempt to achieve it. On the note of rural schools not doing so well, I have went to rural schools for most of my life and they do rather well for themselves in my opinion, decent funding all around.
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My school does several things each year to raise money-- none of which I am involved with. My band program also does many things to raise money throughout the year, most of which I am involved with. During the summer we hold three or four car washes and sell doughnuts and such while the peoples cars are getting washed, which usually works out pretty well.

To start of the year, we have an event called 'Tag Day' which is pretty much us going door to door begging for money. Believe it or not, this works the best out of all the fund raisers, we often collect about 25,000 dollars from this fund raiser alone-- which pretty ridiculous when you're not even selling anything.

During the winter we sell wreaths for Christmas, during the spring we sell orange, and other citruses. Also, we sell CDs of all the concerts, and also t-shirts.

It's pretty expensive to go on various trips with about 200-300 students, and buying instruments and equipment for the band can run quite expensive, so the program really needs a lot of money to run well.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
LordMcDohl

1000 Potch
101 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

Most schools are in rather bad condition funding wise. funding for schools has never been the greatest and fund raisers help every now and then. as far as the imposible goal is concerned, you always need an idea of profection so you can at least attempt to achieve it. On the note of rural schools not doing so well, I have went to rural schools for most of my life and they do rather well for themselves in my opinion, decent funding all around.

My school has an activity to raise funds every year whether it's the Jogathon or Canteen Day. Therefore, I shouldn't think they have problems with their funds. Every time, they use the same goals to convince people to donate. About the rural schools part, it's different over here. The teacher speaking claimed that the canteen for some schools were just wooden shacks.

Quote:

My band program also does many things to raise money throughout the year, most of which I am involved with.

Speaking of the band, today when the head of the Parent Teacher Association came, she offered to donate RM 1000 each to the band and Cheerleading if they got first place for the competitions they are taking part in this weekend. It's
RM 500 for second place and RM 300 for third place. She has so much money to donate to these clubs and she probably donates a lot of money to the school too.

Quote:

It's pretty expensive to go on various trips with about 200-300 students, and buying instruments and equipment for the band can run quite expensive, so the program really needs a lot of money to run well.

Yes, I have heard before that the school band needs a lot of money for uniforms and instruments. I guess they'd better get first place then.

My form teacher said that the electricity bill is between RM 2000 to RM 3000 per month. The government does not pay for it so it comes from the school. It might seem a lot but minus holidays, we are only around school for 9 months or
10 months at most. 10 multiplied by RM 3000 is RM 30000. Even after installing
air-conditioning they should have more than enough left from two years worth of Canteen Day proceedings to pay the bills and to complete their other objectives.

Anyway, on Jogathon day, parents go to jog and there are prizes. One year, my sister's friend went and it turns out most of the prizes were expired. They collect money from these people and all they can offer is expired items? To top it off, it rained cats and dogs that day while the jog was going on.

I don't know about other schools, but it seems like my school is really greedy. I just wish someone would check the school's account. If they don't find anything, then fine, I 'll get off their case. My sister suggested writing in to the newspaper about my nearly confirmed suspicions. Maybe I 'll do it sometime.
AA

Spears of the Sand

366104 Potch
200 Soldiers
3121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

At my school we did quite a few things.

Some of the most popular was staging non uniform and fancy dress days. For the non uniform days you charge the students a pound to come in their own clothes. With the fancy dress events, the upper year of the school would dress up and go around the other classes to get donations from the other students.

Also there were a lot of sponsored runs and stuff as well.

One year, when i was 18 we needed money for an English trip to see Othello, but there wasn't enough so some of us decided to strip down to our swim wear and wash some cars, we got the money we needed :P
LordMcDohl

1000 Potch
101 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

For the non uniform days you charge the students a pound to come in their own clothes.

Now, why can't my school come up with something like that? They could probably earn a whole lot of cash since the uniforms over here don't look nice at all. On the other hand, the teachers in my school go crazy when they see the guys wearing their pants low, having spiky or gelled hair, even when they see students wearing socks that are too short. So, if they made a day like that, the guidelines would probably be so strict that it will end up a failure anyway.
Quote:

With the fancy dress events, the upper year of the school would dress up and go around the other classes to get donations from the other students.

Hmm, in my school, students don't go from class to class collecting donations for the school. Even when they collect donations for disabled children and such, they just go around carrying cans, sometimes they give you small presents when you donate. Unfortunately, most of the time, they don't give prior notice so I end up not donating because I don't have any extra money. There was even once when they passed a plastic bag around during examinations to collect money.
Quote:

One year, when i was 18 we needed money for an English trip to see Othello, but there wasn't enough so some of us decided to strip down to our swim wear and wash some cars, we got the money we needed.

Sadly, we don't get to do that around here. Especially not the swimsuit part. If we tried that, we would probably get hauled up to the police station by the authorities. Why did you strip down to your swimwear anyway? After all that hard work, I'm sure you felt really satisfied watching the play.

I will just talk a bit about my school's Canteen Day. Translated from my country's national language, the name should actually be Happy Family Carnival so I just call it Canteen Day. Basically, the class has a meeting and we decide what stall or stalls to set up on that day. First we choose a few people to be in charge of things. Then we make suggestions and vote for what to sell and what games to play. After it is decided, the students bring money to pay for the merchandise(mostly food). We don't get any money back from the sales. On Canteen Day, people buy food with coupons. It was "suggested" that everyone buy at least a certain amount of coupons. There would also be prizes for the sale of coupons for the classes, students and teachers. Other than that, the stall with the highest sales would receive a certain percentage of their sales for their class fund. Pre-sales started before Canteen Day. During the pre-sales, both coupons and cash were accepted. The cash would then be exchanged into coupons.
The first year, most of the students did their part at the stall. The second we had Canteen Day, the students' parents took over instead. Also, in the second year, some people tried paying with the previous year's coupons.
Both my secondary and primary school have had fund-raising activities every year. There's barely any space left in my primary school to build new buildings.

Last edited by LordMcDohl on Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Assassin01

Team Assassination

575125 Potch
200 Soldiers
900 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I remember in my old school we had an event called Mission Action Day (MAD Day) where it was basically a day of fun. The day starts off with an assembly in the Gymnasium, then we either walk or run 5km and come back to school where there is all sorts of activities like sports, games, Music, DJ's, raffles and all that. However we have to pay for all those things and all the money raised from the whole day will go towards the countries that need it the most.
MMan9000
Ralphy Leone Tensei
Lymsleia Falenas
LordMcDohl

1000 Potch
101 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

However, in the case of my school, I strongly suspect that if the accounts get checked, there will be a huge sum of money missing.

Erm, according to my form teacher, an auditor checks the accounts. If that is true, then they can't get off with any money so apologies to my school, if it's true.

I haven't talked much about fund-raising activities for other causes. Here's one:
In my primary school, they collected one cent coins for disabled children, of course, we could donate other amounts of money as well. They left 2 cans opposite of the canteen.

I am sure all of you remember the tsunami, this is not fund-raising but a supermarket near my house put up huge bins where you can donate food and water for the victims. It's easy, you buy the stuff from them, deposit it in the bin and they get it to the victims for you.

This is a story my friend told me. Her brother has cancer so his school raised money for him. Their family is quite rich so they didn't actually have problems with his medical fees. Her brother spent the money on a gaming console.

Once, when I went to a temple for a Wesak Day celebration, a student approached my mom for donations for his school. My mom asked my dad for some money but he said the money might not go towards helping the school anyway.

There was once, a woman dressed in nuns clothing came to my cousin and I and just gave this amulet that’s supposed to protect us. Then, she asked us for donations and we declined, she took the amulet back. Was she hoping to get money just because she practically forced us to take the amulet?

My friend who is from Singapore told me the president of the National Kidney foundation there used the money for his own personal fancies. Needless to say, it is probably going to take some time for the citizens of Singapore to start donating generously to the National Kidney Foundation again even though the guy was fired.

Well, this shows that we should really be careful when donating.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Educational All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: