Suikoden United and Irenic Karma Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Name Changes Limit Rule
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Falcon Critical

Haia's Star Pupil

678159 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The hard line on this could be to just stop people changing their names altogether. I mean we already have a custom title, regiment title and such to further personalise ourselves, pick a name and stick with it IMO.

Rebel of Babylon

1121979 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, I don't think the changing of names is too bad, but the "change on a whim, maybe I'll change it again next week" mindset can get to be rather annoying trying to figure out who is who.

As it stands, changing one's name is fairly easy with the cost being only 500,000 potch. Depending on whether the nation considers potch the property of the state, it's fairly easy for members (particularly prolific members) to accumulate the potch required for a name change. An increase to at least 750,000 potch could make changing one's name unappealing if they're just going to change it back after a short time.

Perhaps instead of moderators being able to change their names for free, there should be a minimum charge of 250,000 potch. While it takes away the "free" perk from the moderators, it still provides a discounted price as a perk.
Geddoe

Eyepatches of the Faith

397934 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Call this naive on my part, but I originally thought that only admins were allowed to change names?

From the way that I'm understanding this, the entire thing was meant only to have some fun [although I can see the pain in the butt aspect of the whole thing]. Maybe instead of giving the mods the ability to change names at all, just let the admins have that ability and ratchet up the price for doing so. It might be just me, but that should cut down on the name changing at will, and by that point there'll be so few changes that it doesn't add any more work to what I imagine are already crowded workloads for the admins.

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, bunch of options are being considered right now, including all of the stuff that has been suggested so far. Currently, anybody with moderator powers can change anybody's name. This power may be removed if this new rule fails to get the point across.
Onimaru

Perverted Old Men

3407 Potch
954 Soldiers
86 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Perhaps instead we could just cut out the whole "buying" a name change in general and let the admins decide on a case by case basis depending on need. Somone could need a name change because they no longer like their current name, or because they keep getting confused with someone else, or because they decided they want to change their focus on the forums; i.e. joined a different country and want their name to reflect their newfound loyalty, or perhaps want to get into the play by forum and want their name to reflect their character.

People shouldn't be changing their names just because they have the money and want to have fun with it, that's a physical thing an admin has to do and really, there's no need to create additional work for the admins unless nessesary.

A name change could be given a statue of limitations, or a time limit before you're allowed to change you're name again. I'm not suggesting that we micro-manage our members, or introduce a whole new set of rules and go all nazi on everyone. But it's not that big a deal, if you dont like you're name, create a new account. The point is to post discussions on suikoden and if you feel so obliged, partake in the war games offered. that's just my two cents on the subject, it's not that big a deal.

I hate you Onimaru.
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Again, bunch of options are being considered right now, but the decision for now is the rule mentioned at the start of this thread.

Also, admins are busy people (yeah, we really are), so if we don't have to be bothered performing ancillary tasks like changing names, that's wonderful. So making us decide on a "case by case" basis would be extra work.

Anyhow, if my subtle clues are not working, this thread wasn't made to ask for suggestions. Just a place to tell you folks, "this is how it will be."

No further discussion necessary.
Justice Johnny

Crimson Grass

1177898 Potch
114 Soldiers
940 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Gregory House wrote:
An increase to at least 750,000 potch could make changing one's name unappealing if they're just going to change it back after a short time.

Ugh... please no... I'm close to getting a name change done myself, and it's not to be obnoxious or anything.

The details thingie with regards to the aspects of this name change thing would be too much of a hassle for the admins. Like Vextor just said, they are pretty busy, and with these many members, it would be pretty inefficient to assess each and every case of users that intend to change their names.

This new rule has just been implemented, and we have not seen yet whether it is working well or not, so I suggest we just leave this be and see how it pans out. In my humble opinion, I think it would make a pretty effective internal control all on its own.
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This new rule is fine as it is, we need to give it a chance before we start discussing about amendments and replacement rules. The fact that it is now known that it will be frowned upon when one carelessly changes their name will also be a huge deterrent, and Vextor himself has asked for no more discussion on the subject in this way. I agree with Highwind in this regard.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Budehuc Castle All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: