Suikoden United and Infamous Kraalesque Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Killing and Murder
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sage

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

As far as I'm concerned, like several others, intent is what defines murder, in any sense. If you mean to take a life, you are murdering. If not, then you have killed, not murdered. Circumstances aside from that do not matter to me. In the end, someone is dead and someone else has ended that life, but it is intent that pushes "kill" to "murder." It doesn't necessarily take someone evil like we see on TV or movies to want to kill someone.

I do not think killing is ever justified, so I cannot say that it is. However, some circumstances are understandable. Would I call these people (such as those who acted in self-defense or soldiers) killers or murderers? No. That's a can of worms I leave alone. I wouldn't want to talk about it or be labeled as such, so I extend the same courtesy.

In the end, I do not think you can lump killing and murdering under one category based on the end result, in either the moral or legal sense.

Raccoon Dogs

135274 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You make a good point Sage. My opinion just comes from the fact that, if I were to take someone's life, in self-defense or otherwise, I would feel like a murderer. No matter the circumstances the end result would be the same and I'd have to carry that with me for the rest of my life.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Fu Su Lu

Hungry Drunken TigerMen

569802 Potch
3084 Soldiers
800 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Good point, but what happens if you are driving at a higher speed than the allowed and you run over someone killing her/him? Some countries laws would see it as inprudent homicide, others like true killing. Intent is the most important thing, but not the only one.

If you try to defend your life shooting someone who was attacking you with a knife, the judge will have to value circumstances like the direction where you shooted (to the head? to the legs to stop him/her?), number of shoots, distance,etc to resolve if your intention was killing or not. Once and again, I remember that every country law is different
Eden

Private Godwin Army

558571 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I wonder that nobody seemed to raise the point of death penalty ordered by the government yet :mrgreen:

The Fool
Splendid Monkey

Monkey`s Mad Marauders

96384 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Phamex wrote:
I agree. The point is, you've taken a life. Regardless of the justification, you killed someone. You murdered them.

Let me get something straight: What are we actually debating here? Terminology or morality? In other words: Are you saying all killing is murder or do you mean to say all killing is evil?

If we go with terminology, we can just take out the dictionary and see that killing a person is NOT murder per se as Sophita pointed out before. In case we go with morality, which I think was the intention of this topic, we really should be discussing the definition of the word 'evil' rather than that of 'murder'. Whether we call a case murder or not may make a great difference in the courtroom but from a moral point of view it matters jack what label you put on it.

So, to sum it up:

Is all killing murder?
no

Is all killing evil?
debatable
Fu Su Lu

Hungry Drunken TigerMen

569802 Potch
3084 Soldiers
800 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If so, my monkey friend:

Is all killing murder?
Yes. Not per se, but yes in a large meaning

Is all killing evil?
No, not all.
SolemnSound

Solemn Sound

330634 Potch
100 Soldiers
48 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

this topic reminds me of what happened to one of my friends the other week. she was involved in a car accident. a motorcyclist sideswiped her and was ejected from the bike and killed. she was fine but is still distraught from the fact that a human being was killed because of an accident involving her and her vehicle. granted at least I believe that it wasnt her fault and the accident report would also state that the accident was not her fault but rather the bikers fault for speeding and what not, but still she is quite upset over the whole ordeal.

Urn

Azure Flames

7756 Potch
0 Soldiers
970973 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

Good point, but what happens if you are driving at a higher speed than the allowed and you run over someone killing her/him? Some countries laws would see it as inprudent homicide, others like true killing. Intent is the most important thing, but not the only one.

If you try to defend your life shooting someone who was attacking you with a knife, the judge will have to value circumstances like the direction where you shooted (to the head? to the legs to stop him/her?), number of shoots, distance,etc to resolve if your intention was killing or not. Once and again, I remember that every country law is different

Good Points. Here in the U.S., if you drive over the speed limit you are knowingly breaking the law. Driving over the speed limit in the first place is illegal, but the fact that you were speeding does not diminish one's culpability or intent for the crime of striking a pedestrian, and if this results in death you are charged with vehicular homicide in that case. You still have the intent, which was to drive recklessly by knowingly exceeding the speed limit recommended by the law. Whether you meant to kill that person is irrelevant because going over the speed limit is a hazard and such a behavior could have been avoided by taking the necessary precautions, such as not speeding at all.

I would not know of a Judge that would look at where the individual was shot in a self-defense case, unless the person doing the shooting was a cop or some expert marksman. The only issue there would be whether the force of the retaliation by person in self-defense was equal to the risk imposed or threatened upon that individual. You can shoot to kill in a self-defense case if the force is warranted. There is a lot more leniency on your every day citizen than a professional, though.

Quote:

I wonder that nobody seemed to raise the point of death penalty ordered by the government yet :mrgreen:

The issue of the death penalty is a touchy subject. It technically is institutionalized murder. Most of society no longer agrees with it and I personally think it is an immoral form of punishment, but it was a initially put in place as a form of deterrent and not intended to be used.

KOOLUK SUPPORTS TINTO MINERS
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: