Suikoden United and Informational Knowledge Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

New Name Discovery.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Galt

De Ruyter

1723195 Potch
0 Soldiers
50 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Bahram Luger's "Bahram" is also a name of an Iranian anti-submarine combat vessel... but that's probably just a coincidence.
Scrooge McDuck

The Flying Duckmen

885377 Potch
161 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well... considering that "Luger" is also the name of a tool of violence...

Dawlight

147042 Potch
53 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have heard about charles babbage too, i read about him in a practice test i had to take in school once,I believe at one time he taught math to a princess or someone famous and got her to like math, and she started making computers too, i think, well i know it was something like that.
Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Tomo is also based off a historical figure. Tomoe Gozen is a Japanese historical and folk-lore Samurai Hero. And she was supposedly extremely skilled with the naginata and yari which are both spears.

And then there's the more obvious Roland and Percival and I think Borus too. Roland was a famous knight, and a champion of Charlemagne. Percival is from Arthurian legend. And I remember reading something about a Borus, but it escapes me at the moment.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
dark-knight

Knights of the Dark

23181 Potch
50 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

lol. i thought charles babbage was well known. ive learned about him like in my grade school.

did you know that the name alhazred came from an h.p. lovecraft work? i think iirc, hes the guy looking for the necrominicon or something which is a cursed book or something similar to what alhazred from sv was looking for.
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Nah, Abdul Alhazred is the author of the Necronomicon within H.P Lovecraft's work.

Borus is supposed to be Bors, also from Arthurian legends.

I doubt Tomo is based on Tomoe Gozen because Tomo is never a short version of the name Tomoe.

Also, out of the Ninjas, Hanzo is based off of Hattori Hanzo, who was a leader of the Iga ninja clan during the Warring States period. Same with Fuma Kotaro, who served as a ninja under the Hojo clan (and the name was used by three different ninjas who succeeded each other). Sasuke is based off of Sarutobi Sasuke, who is said to be finctional--but supposedly he served under the general Sanada Yukimura (some say the actual ninja who served the Sanada clan--Tobi Kato--is actuallu Sarutobi Sasuke, but that's just a theory).

"Kage" is just a generic term for Ninjas. Also, an additional trivia is that the word "ninja" didn't even exist during the warring states period. They were called different things depending on their clans, such as "zappa" or "rappa." Ninjas in the Iga clan often participated in battles as foot soldiers, and some were actually samurai (Hattori Hanzo was a samurai, after all).
Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
I doubt Tomo is based on Tomoe Gozen because Tomo is never a short version of the name Tomoe.

Ah damn. I was really excited when I first found it. I was doing research on Japanese military units. It was funny cause the Katana units were released for a few days after.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
VikiFanatic

Keepers of Balance

841792 Potch
0 Soldiers
760 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

At least I got the ninjas correctly on their origins... Speaking of which Charlemagne is also a historical name. As many know, he was pretty famous. ^^ As for other characters, I need to look for more...

Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There's also a few others from Suikoden V that have folklore references. Arshtat is one of the angelic spirits within Zoroastrianism. Ferid comes from Feridoun, a hero who managed to kill the tyrant king Zahak within Persian folklore. Also, Zahak became king after killing his father, Mardas (who I think was Marscarl's father or cousin in Suikoden V).

Tessai and Genshu are also both famous painters in Japanese history.
Athene Airheart

117406 Potch
300 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

When doing research on Eresh, I found that her name was based on Ereshkigal, a Sumerian goddess, sister to Innana and goddess of the Netherworld or "Great Below. At one point she killed Innana and forced her to go to the underworld in a legend somewhat similar to the Greek myth about Demeter and Persephone that explains the seasons.

Her weapon names are Erra, Gugalnanna, and Ner-gal. Erra is another name for Nergal, the one he used when going to the Great Above, and Nergal is the king of the Underworld and Ereshkigal's husband. Gugalnanna was the Bull of Heaven, and also Ereshkigal's spouse. I'm not sure if it is the same person as Nergal or not. So basically all three names for Eresh's weapon are names for her husband and together they rule the underworld of Sumeria.

And Arshtat is from something similar, I believe it's another version of the goddess Astarte. And that name is related to Ishtar.

Divine Judgement

777674 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Here are a few to add to the list.

First we have Boz Wilde, who coincidentially shares the same last name as the famous Oscar Wilde. There's really no connection between them other than the fact they're both crazy in many ways.

The other would have to be the name "Falena" though. It's actually the Italian word for "Moth", which if most of you remember..

SPOILERS..

The last boss, the incarnation of the Sun Rune, was a moth. I always found that quite interesting.

De Ruyter

1723195 Potch
0 Soldiers
50 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Athene Airheart wrote:

And Arshtat is from something similar, I believe it's another version of the goddess Astarte. And that name is related to Ishtar.

Vextor wrote:
There's also a few others from Suikoden V that have folklore references. Arshtat is one of the angelic spirits within Zoroastrianism. Ferid comes from Feridoun, a hero who managed to kill the tyrant king Zahak within Persian folklore. Also, Zahak became king after killing his father, Mardas (who I think was Marscarl's father or cousin in Suikoden V).

Tessai and Genshu are also both famous painters in Japanese history.

Which is true?
Falcon Critical

Haia's Star Pupil

678159 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This is probably already known but I'll elaborate anyway. A name used for both characters and weapons in Suikoden is Sigurd. Sigurd is from norse faith, he was one of the strongest mortal men written of in the norse sagas. He became most famous for slaying the dragon Fafnir, during which battle the dragon's blood splashed into his mouth and though it burnt at first it gave him the power to speak with animals. Sigurd from Suikoden doesn't show many similarities at all. Sigurd's sword was called Gram, and it was reforged stronger from the broken sword of his father.

In the earlier Suikodens this name was given to spears - and considering that Odin's trademark weapon is the spear Gungnir, I guess this was part of the relation to norse.

The names (though I'm not sure of the order) of the Suiko spears were:
Sigurd - the norse hero
Siegfried - another commonly used name for Sigurd, perhaps the old english translation
Sigmund - the name of Sigurd's father

117406 Potch
300 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Vextor wrote:

There's also a few others from Suikoden V that have folklore references. Arshtat is one of the angelic spirits within Zoroastrianism.

Which is true?

Both, actually. After all, Arshtat is an ancient Iranian goddess. But later she was an angelic figure in Zoroastrianism, which was practiced in the same area.

There is a lot of borrowing between pantheons, in general. But I'll take back what I said about Astarte, despite the similarity between the names I can' tfind a connection.

Here's from a glossary of Zoroastrian terms: Ashtad (Phl.): lit. 'rectitude, justice', name of a yazad presiding over justice; name of the twenty-sixth day of the month according to the Zoroastrian religious calendar. (Var. 'Arshtat')

Sources:

http://www.avesta.org/zglos.html
http://www.iranchamber.com/religions/pre_zoroastrian_religions.php

The Strategists

13318 Potch
489 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sniper_Zegai wrote:
lol I had no idea the guys at konami did this.

hmmm I wonder if there will be a solid snake or MGS reference in the future.....

Hehe... there was a reference to Suikoden in MGS 1 for the ps one.
When you meet psycho mantis and had a suikoden savegame on your memory card...

Crowley's name was also a reference to Aleister Crowley.. the satanist..
And Alhazred is a reference to Abdul Alhazred.. The writer of the Necronomicon
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Character Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: