Suikoden United and Infamous Knowledge Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Is there/was there ever any religion in Suikoden?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Culture & Geography Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
granpaturtle

11500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ryusei wrote:
granpaturtle wrote:
He did overcome death...

He did? I never knew about that. Was there any proof or converation which told that Hikusaak overcame death? Or maybe you mistook him for Mazus or Crowley, whom I thought were the only ones who overcame death?

well, he has a true rune so, technically he over came death

sorry, i should've elaborated

although...he is probably dead...I bet Sasarai did it in the cloak room with the candle stick
Rainrir

Landsknecht

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

granpaturtle wrote:

although...he is probably dead...I bet Sasarai did it in the cloak room with the candle stick

No. It was Luc in the Bathroom with the rope....But that probably be all the fangirl's dream....

In any case, I doubt Hikusaak is worshipped as a God in Harmonia, since not many Gods I know call themselves a High Priest. Unles you count Cthulu...but I killed him by stir-fry.

Seriously though, Hikusaak is called the "High Priest"... and that already dispels any notions of divinity...It will be more plausible that the Six Knights Chris fanclub transforms into a large, organised religion worshipping Magical Bushoujo Water Fairy Chris Lightfellow

Hmm..the religion in Suikoden really isn't that flashed out. While we do get some idea or glimpse of religion in the Suikoden world, most of it is the generic stuff we see everywhere else.

You know...like those type we-worship-the-spirits (the Six Grassland tribes are really, really guilty of this) to hey-this-building-look-like-a-church to I-am-a priest type of glimpses...which shows there is religion but tell us nothing about it.

Am I the only one who is annoyed that the religions never gave their gods, goddesses or spirits/demons/whatever names? I mean..ever human religion at least have names for whatever they are worshipping...If talking about Religious Concepts is "non-player-friendly" then at least give us some customs, rituals and mythology to go with it. O
The Suikoden gods must really like anomity..or there is actually a rule banning everyone from calling their names...
Rune of Corruption

Ficky Ficky Frog Eyed Frustrated Fools

2319 Potch
0 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

granpaturtle wrote:
Ryusei wrote:
granpaturtle wrote:
He did overcome death...

He did? I never knew about that. Was there any proof or converation which told that Hikusaak overcame death? Or maybe you mistook him for Mazus or Crowley, whom I thought were the only ones who overcame death?

well, he has a true rune so, technically he over came death

sorry, i should've elaborated

In one sense he did overcome death by being ageless, but true rune bearers are not immortal. They can be killed like any other person, unless they know some sort super magic secret like Mazus and Crowley.

Religion in suikoden is like religion in the real world. Some countries have prevalent and prominent religion while others don't. Harmonian style relgion is the most wide spread because Harmonia has strong military influence over the world and spread their religion such as some European countries did long ago in the real world.
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's also the only one so far which could claim to have objective evidence in its favour. It venerates True Runes as a source of nigh unlimited power that helped shape the world and, well, so far as we know, that is the case.

"Where's your god now?"
"It's embedded in my hand and now it's going to kill you to death, k."

Results!
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

John Layfield wrote:
"Where's your god now?"
"It's embedded in my hand and now it's going to kill you to death, k."

Results!

It is a scary thought, a scary thought indeed.

Harmonia is the only nation we know of where the ruler bears a True Rune, in fact Harmonias become obsessed with it and their religion could be heavily based around that.
Ryusei

Kotetsu

114213 Potch
8500 Soldiers
510 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Uji wrote:
Harmonia is the only nation we know of where the ruler bears a True Rune

Have you forgotten about Arshtat, Uji? She bore the Sun rune on her time as ruler of Falena. But if you mean presently, well, that pretty much leaves Harmonia as the only nation (which we have information about) to have a ruler with a true rune, assuming Hikusaak is still alive.
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ryusei wrote:
Uji wrote:
Harmonia is the only nation we know of where the ruler bears a True Rune

Have you forgotten about Arshtat, Uji? She bore the Sun rune on her time as ruler of Falena. But if you mean presently, well, that pretty much leaves Harmonia as the only nation (which we have information about) to have a ruler with a true rune, assuming Hikusaak is still alive.

I did mean the only one that lasted to this day, but yeah thats true, Falena had one for a while, I wonder if the Circle Rune can nuke countries... I will just go ponder that.
Rune of Corruption

2319 Potch
0 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Not exactly Oji. Hikusaak whereabouts are currently unkown, however there is still Sasarai who has a true rune. The True Earth Rune may be able to split a whole continent in half.
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Rune of Corruption wrote:
Not exactly Oji. Hikusaak whereabouts are currently unkown, however there is still Sasarai who has a true rune. The True Earth Rune may be able to split a whole continent in half.

Sasarai doesn't head the nation though, and in Suikoden III we hear that invading the Grassland was a direct order from Hikusaak himself, it might be him it might not, but chances are likely hes alive.
Rune of Corruption

2319 Potch
0 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Most of that was apart of Luc's plan when he becomes, but he gets appointed bishop by Hikusaak who has been missing for about 245 years. I surmise that Hikusaak is working from the shadows and not direct head of Harmonia.Still Luc could have been lying about this appointment seeing as he is Hikusaak's clone. He could claim that he has some sort of direct link to Hikusaak. I don't include Sasarai in this as he doesn't know that he is a clone of Hikusaak and did not find out until Luc reveals this to him. This is interesting I will be looking into this.

As to who is leading Harmonia, apparently it is a bunch of aristocrats according to the database here, at suikosource, and theirstar.
Assassin01

Team Assassination

575125 Potch
200 Soldiers
900 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You know i don't think there was an actual religion in the Suikoden world with no God or gods that people worship and believe in. However there are stories of how the world was created in Old Books in the game (i find this real odd as creation is a major aspect of religion). There is beliefs in runes and true runes that exist within the Suikoden world. However there seems to be no mention of where you go once you die. They probably say its the afterlife or somthing like that.
MMan9000
Ralphy Leone Tensei
Lymsleia Falenas
iscalio

1681589 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Assassin01 wrote:
You know i don't think there was an actual religion in the Suikoden world with no God or gods that people worship and believe in.

Did you not bother to read the thread before posting? You cannot actually question whether or not religion exists in the Suikoden world - we know that it does, since the games have given us many examples: the Zexen polytheism (Horned Loa, Sadie the fertility goddess), the animism of the Karaya and the Alma Kinan, the Tinto church, Qlon temple, the Falenan Sun Rune cult (Lunas), "Holy" Harmonia, the kobold pantheon/religion hinted at in SuikoGaiden, the mention of a "sea god" in Suikoden 4 etc. True, the games were not very generous with details, so we have only very vague information, but the fact that religion is there can hardly be disputed.
A world inhabited by humans that does not know religion seems rather unrealistic anyway.
Onimaru

Perverted Old Men

3407 Potch
954 Soldiers
86 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Let us not forget the Theocracy of Nagarea.

I like to think that the suikoworld has a rune based religion, the story of creation is one that everyone seems to agree on. To the general populace Runes could definatly be seen as divine objects. They posess strange magical gifts that only certain people are able to use. And dont even get me started on True runes. Yes alot of them are negative, but there have to be some w/ strong positives - in the right hands a religion could easily be developed around a true rune that can heal the sick and smite evil. It would be interesting to see a Hero with ties to a religious organization, it's a topic that Suikoden needs to cover more throughly.

lets not forget that references to figures such as "St Loa" or "the Goddess of Victory" could be titles given to famous belivers, or even true rune bearers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Culture & Geography Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: