Suikoden Urgent and Irrational Keystone Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Akira Kurosawa
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shrew

The All-Star Rock n' Breakdance Electronic Band from Shenzhen

237023 Potch
110 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I actually remembering reading an essay on Kurosawa's use of rain in Seven Samurai, claiming that it was Kurosawa's replacement for blood. Being restrained by the social moors of the 1950s, Kurosawa couldn't depict the fight in the appropriately realistic and horrifying fashion, so he covered the actors in mud instead.

Kurosawa actually gets extremely bloody as his career goes on, although most of his bloodshed looks rather fake compared to our modern miracles of exploding heads. Ran in particular suffers from "red paint" syndrome, but it helps if you think of it less as "blood" and more as "red". However, the ending of Sanjuro is pretty damn shocking, even by modern standards.

Fear our Vagueness.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

However, the ending of Sanjuro is pretty damn shocking, even by modern standards.

Hoo, yeah, I remember that. Our teacher i9n my film class pointed that out as the single part of the class we would remember the most. I honestly was more of a fan of what happened after that, what with the conflicting emotions and what have you.

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Shrew wrote:
I actually remembering reading an essay on Kurosawa's use of rain in Seven Samurai, claiming that it was Kurosawa's replacement for blood. Being restrained by the social moors of the 1950s, Kurosawa couldn't depict the fight in the appropriately realistic and horrifying fashion, so he covered the actors in mud instead.

Really? That is really fascinating, I feel the rain usually adds the tension and sadness into the battles that might otherwise be replaced by the overused effect of blood - and in those days blood was emulated so badly. Even when actors aren't fighting, the rain can do so much to give a feeling of anticipation or show how a recent event has unsettled everyone else.

Shrew wrote:
Kurosawa actually gets extremely bloody as his career goes on, although most of his bloodshed looks rather fake compared to our modern miracles of exploding heads. Ran in particular suffers from "red paint" syndrome, but it helps if you think of it less as "blood" and more as "red". However, the ending of Sanjuro is pretty damn shocking, even by modern standards.

Tatsuya Nakudai's heart explodes! People are still using effects like that to this day, the most prime and obvious example is something like the Kill Bill series where blood just flies eveywhere regardless of what is happening. Never have I seen an example of a a man's chest exploding like that though, must've been such a gory concept when it was first made.

Heres a piece of trivia that made me laugh:

Wikipedia wrote:
For the infamous 'blood explosion' in the films ending, the hose they attached to the actor was so strong that it nearly lifted him off the ground and it took all his might to finish the scene.
Shrew

The All-Star Rock n' Breakdance Electronic Band from Shenzhen

237023 Potch
110 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Really? That is really fascinating, I feel the rain usually adds the tension and sadness into the battles that might otherwise be replaced by the overused effect of blood - and in those days blood was emulated so badly. Even when actors aren't fighting, the rain can do so much to give a feeling of anticipation or show how a recent event has unsettled everyone else.

Well, the rain of course has its own merits. You can't just take out the mud and ever-present drone of the rain and put in buckets of blood and constant gunfire without altering the mood. However, I do believe they both present the same basic meaning: war's an inglorious, ugly act. In many ways the final battle of Seven Samurai is the period's Saving Private Ryan.

I don't think you can argue one's better than the other though, just that they're different approaches to the same topic.

Fear our Vagueness.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm not saying one is better, but I am saying one is overused and the other seemed a lot fresher to me - even if it was older.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Media All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: