Suikoden Unique and Illegal Keystone Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

How an open-ended assignment is treated by teachers?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ikano

Prince Geass Falenas

2324315 Potch
1337 Soldiers
3028000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:08 pm    Post subject: How an open-ended assignment is treated by teachers? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

ok so I think about this everytime I'm taking a test or turn in a paper assignment or the like.

As I rush to the front of the room with a paper/test/assignment in my hand, the end product of countless nights staying up to put it together(or in the case of a test...taking the whole class period trying to word it as intelligently sounding as I can) I think to myself...would I get a better grade/more helpful comments on something if I was one of the first people to turn it in or one of the last people to turn it in?

Putting aside tests that are strictly multiple choice or word bank type questions...open-ended questions always are exactly that--they are open for debate. The teacher is able to give give partial credit on things mostly thanks to these sort of questions.

So then...would turning a paper/assignment in early vs later really effect how the teacher looks at it?

What do you all think about it?
And if any of you are teachers, enlighten us on how you handle grading these sorts of things?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Dew Dust

2127634 Potch
200 Soldiers
104 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

As regards to when the paper or test is handed in, it makes no difference to me when the paper or test is handed in. For a test, you either know the material or you don't-- it doesn't affect me or my grading if you handed it in early or not. I grab the tests into a pile, throw it into a folder, and when I can I grade it. At that point, do you think I would really remember who handed it in early or not when I have 120 students' papers to grade? And it wouldn't be fair to grade it as such either. Same thing with my students' labs or written projects. If they hand it in early, it gets shoved into a folder and I don't bother with it till the time comes that I can grade it. It is far easy to grade labs and papers when you have a bunch of them so it isn't good to grade that very day the papers are due. So in fact, teachers wait a few days after for late papers so the grading can all be done together following the rubric. By doing this, your mind is set on the rubric and the mood and information for grading and that goes out to all papers in the big pile and by that time, it makes no difference who was early and those who were late only get a late fee to keep things fair.

Nikostratos

629196 Potch
5000 Soldiers
465 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, Dew's comments aside I think it would be much better to turn it in later, because if the papers are in a stack and that stack doesn't get mixed up at all then my paper should more then likly be on top meaning that the teacher will actually pay a bit more attention and be a bit more lenient on my short-answer questions then the person at the end. I'm sure that most teachers get tired and unconciously this might affect them grading papers.
Ikano

Prince Geass Falenas

2324315 Potch
1337 Soldiers
3028000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ah but I wonder about that...see...I orginally thought being first to turn in a paper = paper being on the top of the stack and they'd grade it more leniantly like you say Inko

...however there is also a possible case that they are strict/looking for a specific answer when they first start out and only later on do they start being more lenient

Also I once had a TA that said he graded papers while watching tv and he'd say rather jokingly that "we better all hope his team is winning"
I still wonder if he meant that as a real joke or not....but it's a creepy thing if it was true...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Sun's Vicegerent

Divine Judgement

777674 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

In my opinion, it doesn't really matter whether you turn it in sooner or later.

If the assignment is an open-ended question, I think it usually depends on how much evidence you have to back-up your point of view. If you have substantial evidence and a decent argument, I think the teacher might just award you on that.

However, considering the teacher is only human, they might be biased towards certain opinions.. meaning if your opinion is similiar to theirs and you provide enough evidence, they might give you higher scores than someone who has an argument just as decent.. but from a different point of view.

I hope this makes sense ^^

0 Potch
6 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This really depends on the teacher. Some, like Dew Dust, don't care whether you turn it in first or last, they care about the content. Teachers like that generally make up the bulk of all the teaching force. Then there are some teacher's who believe that the earlier you turn in the work, the better grade you deserve, yet these are few and far off in between. Others yet, who are even a smaller group, like students to take their time on the paper, and treat early papers as "unfinished (the few that I've had like this were a pain in the head, as they constantly would define my thesis as an "unfinished thought"). And then there's the last gorup, very rare and very mean. My current teacher is like that. They simply want the paper right on time, the moment they say "turn your papers in". If you try to turn in a papre early, you're screwed, and if it's a bit late, you're also screwed.

Generally, I learn which of these types of teachers mine are and turn in papers accordingly, but as most fall into the first group, I never give it too much thought.
reggie.rockit

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

For me, it depends on which teacher it is. If it's my English teacher, I wouldn't even bother writing a paper, I always end up getting. writers block and it comes out greek. If it's my ex-AP teacher, I wrote one and i got chewed out, so I never write it again. If it's my history, she actually likes my reasoning and her essay questions are easy to understand.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Educational All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: