Suikoden Uncouth and Irenic Kibbutz Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Learning arabic
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
No_Brain

0 Potch
6 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Learning arabic Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've decided to learn arabic, yet good recources for it on the internet are not too easy to find. Has anyone learned arabic or could recommend an online source that's comfortable to use. On a more general note, how many languages do you speak???

Personally, I speak English, Lithuanian, French, and Russian fluently (though the latter I cannot write a word in...) and I'm planning to learn Arabic, Mandarin Chinese and German.
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

iscalio might be a good person to talk to as he speaks more languages than I can count. Though, I can only count to 4 without getting scared, so that doesn't say much. I'm not saying he speaks Arabic, but he might be able to help.

Also, zincbrain (also in Tinto) actually speaks Arabic (I think he's from the Sultanate of Oman) so he'd be a good person to talk to.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Why don't you have a look on Amazon for some books that can help you?
Sun's Vicegerent

Divine Judgement

777674 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, look online around Amazon for some books. That might be a good idea

I speak English, Mandarin (Chinese), Cantonese and Japanese fluently. I'm hoping to learn French, Spanish and Italian soon.

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Indeed, Amazon is a good place to start, when I began teaching myself Japanese I found some excellent books there.

I eventually want to learn some arabic too. Learning how to read every language (minus Chinese) is a life goal of mine. I dont mind not knowing what the words mean, I just get irritated knowing that someone is writing in something I can't understand.

0 Potch
6 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Due to my current location its fairly hard to get Amazon shipments without a dozen other fees, so I've crossed that possibility out. I'll probably go back to Lithuania for a while during summer, so I'll get some books then, but for now I have to stick to limited recources. Thanks for the help though :)
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ugh, I know all too well how painful overseas shipping can be.

Solid State Society

206885 Potch
254 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I can read arabic script but I cannot talk the language. Arabic, from what I have heard is a rather unique language.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shad

Midnight

4252503 Potch
200 Soldiers
38 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Right now I only know English and Spanish unfortunately, and the latter is pretty weak. I can read Spanish text with a fair degree of fluency, but when it comes to speaking, writing, or listening to the stuff I'm generally at a loss. I'm well above the level of being able to barely get by, but I couldn't sustain a lengthy intelligent conversation.

I spent about half a year studying Arabic, and let me tell you it's one of the most difficult languages out there. Perhaps with your background in linguistics you'll pick up on it a bit faster than I did, but comprehensive learning material on the subject is pretty scarce and the native teachers I had instructing me were terrible. Eight hours a day five days a week for half a year and I remember my high school Japanese better. <_<
zincbrain

Uttuku

441117 Potch
200 Soldiers
25 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I can help you if you want,
Omerta

Fighting First

139174 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I would like to learn how to speak arabic since I am in the Army and will most likely encouter someone who speaks it. I would also like to learn Japanese and Latin.
zincbrain

Uttuku

441117 Potch
200 Soldiers
25 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This is starting to become off topic. If people would like to learn Arabic please contact me by private message.
zincbrain

Uttuku

441117 Potch
200 Soldiers
25 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Arabic Subject Pronouns

Singular

I أنا Ana

you (singular masculine.) أنتَ Anta

you (singular feminine) أنتِ Anti

he هو Howa

she هي Hiya

Dual

you (dual male or female) أنتُما Antuma

they (dual male or female) هُما Humaa

Plural

We نحن Nahn

you (plural masculine) أنتُم Antum

you (plural feminine) أنتُن Antun

they (plural masculine) هُم Hum

they (plural feminine) هُن Hun
zincbrain

Uttuku

441117 Potch
200 Soldiers
25 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

ﺩ || ﺫ || ﺭ || ﺯ || ﺱ || ﺵ || ﺹ
ﺽ || ﻁ || ﻅ || ﻉ || ﻍ || ﻑ || ﻕ
ﻙ || ﻝ || ﻡ || ﻥ || هـ || ﻭ || ﻱ
Arabic is written from left to right below is a table to explain how it sounds.
Arabic consonants

hamza is somtething that makes a certain sound when placed somewhere differently when put bellow an alif it makes an e sound. When put it above it is an a sound.
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, i want to learn how to speak arabic as well. There are different dialects that range over the arab world, but there is the modern standard arabic, whom what i know.

The script is pretty much phoenetic (i.e. clearly pronounced just as it is written.), so reading or writing Arabic shouldn't be too much of a problem. But i was told that the Arabic has such a large vocabulary, has a number of words that has no equivalent in English, that it makes it hard to translate. I remember someone tell me "you can't outtalk an arab. Don't even try."

Here is a site that should work: http://lexicorient.com/babel/arabic. It gives some good lessons on how to learn arabic. I don't mean to usurp zincbrain of course. BTW zincbrain, when you say Ana or Anta or such, is it a soft "a", like the alif, or is it the stronger "a" like the 'ain?

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Educational All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: