Suikoden Utopian and Illegal Kosher Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Dela Hoya vs. Mayweather

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Archy

PRAISE BE TO... GROOOWL RAINING BLOOD

506257 Potch
0 Soldiers
800 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 1:10 am    Post subject: Dela Hoya vs. Mayweather Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Alright, did any of you watch this?

Mayweather won by a split decision, a very narrow one at that. In earlier rounds, I thought Dela Hoya would win - He literally pummeled Mayweather. But, Mayweather didn't go down - he took everything that Dela Hoya threw at him and just shook it off. Neither fighter knocked each other down, Mayweather, however had a better connected more on his punches (Dela Hoya threw roughly about six hundred.)

So, what did you guys think of the match?

Celes Tilly wrote:
If one of you were to ask, "Celes, what is Twisted Sister?" I would tell you God's honest truth.

"Butt rock."
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

De La Hoya wasted a great opportunity to really deal some punishment on Mayweather. Even with Mayweather being the faster of the two, De La Hoya rarely used his height and power to punish Mayweather with bodyshots. It is basic boxing that to slow down a faster fighter an opponent must pound them with bodyshots. De La Hoya has always been very tentative about fighting in a smart way. He's susceptible to fatigue for some damn reason when a match goes past the midway point. He also has a tendency like most Latin boxers to always go for the head combos. It's been like that since Duran and Camacho and I don't see it changing anytime soon.

Mayweather was lucky in a sense. His style of constantly dodging and weaving was enough to keep De La Hoya from landing a lot more power punches. When they did land half of them were more like glances instead of full-on flush hits. Most boxing experts knew that Mayweather did not have the punching power to knockout De La Hoya and that his best strategy for the fight was to let it go to the judges. He was active and accurate enough with his punches that once it went to the judges, everyone who knows their boxing and followed De La Hoya's career, it was going to be a win for Mayweather.

I think this fight will cement Mayweather as one of the best fighters of the past 10-15 years and probably get him into the boxing hall of fame without a doubt, but I still think his record of 38-0 (24 knockouts) is still a tad misleading since he has a tendency to follow-up major fights with several easy ones. It may not be his fault since he constantly goes up in weight class and has to have set-up fights.

I will say that he has kept his hold as the current best boxer pound-for-pound, but Manny Pacquiao is going to be constantly gunning for that title. Some will even say that despite Mayweather's win over De La Hoya, Pacquiao is still the best boxer pound-for-pound just for the way he devastates every top-ranked fighter that comes his way. If Mayweather could ever have the kind of power that Pacquiao has to complement super-quick hand-speed then he'll be the undisputed pound-for-pound. I just think that if Mayweather and Pacquiao ever fought against each other in an agreed upon weight I'll pick Pacquiao over Mayweather.

Fighting First

139174 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I did not watch the fight but I was sure that De La Hoya would win. That really surprised me that Mayweather won.
blueflame

Blue Rookies

294148 Potch
4022 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I agree with omerta. I really thought de la hoya would win. He did a good job. I think he shot more punches and had a very good defense compared to Mayweather. The only thing Mayweather did was laugh a lot.
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yes, De La Hoya threw more punches but he didn't land many of those as much as people thought he did. That's the problem with De La Hoya when he goes up against top-ranked fighters. He starts off strong but has an infuriating tendency to get too defensive in the middle to late rounds. It cost him two fights against Sugar Shane Mosley when he should've won those fights as well. But when looking back at the those fights he coasted in the second half of the fight trying to defend the points he thought he was ahead.

The fact that it was a split decision told me that on all three judge's card De La Hoya had been ahead of Mayweather until he pulled another Oscar and coasted. I think De La Hoya gets gunshy and too defensive when the fight goes on to the later rounds. This is one reason that I thought he was always an overrated fighter. He does well against mid-tier fighters, but once he steps into the ring with a bonafide top-rank he gets the turtle syndrome. Just look at the people he lost to.

Floyd Mayweather, Jr.
Sugar Shane Mosley (twice)
Bernard Hopkins (when Hopkins was pretty much in the twilight of his career)
Felix Trinidad

Those are some skilled fighters and in all of them he lost and whined about it afterwards. I think De La Hoya only gets into these mega prize fights because he knows he will be getting the higher-end of the purse. He's a money fighter plain and simple. If the fight with Mayweather was even money in terms of splitting the purse I guarantee that De La Hoya wouldn't have taken the fight.

There's already talk of a rematch which I think should happen since with a split decision there will always be doubt as to who truly won. I wouldn't be surprised if Oscar made it so that a stipulation of a rematch has him getting the higher-end of the purse again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: