Suikoden Ugly and Irrational Knowledge Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Suikoden 1 Challenges

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Gameplay Questions & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wataru

The Light Fantastic

59113 Potch
0 Soldiers
515589 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:58 pm    Post subject: Suikoden 1 Challenges Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

OK, we all know SUikoden 1 is a very easy game and after being out on the market for 10+ years everyone has pretty much done everything you can do in it. For that reason I was thinking about how challenge games would work. For those who don't know what a challenge game is, it is a playthrough of a game where you deliberately handicap yourself in some way to make the game harder. You see these a lot with the Final Fantasy games, so why not make up a few for Suikoden?

Here are a few I think might be fun:

1. The Single-Syllable Challenge
Whenever you can choose party members, you can only use people who have one-syllable names (Flik, Krin, Hix, Meg, Luc, Kai, Gen, Gon, Kirke, Kreutz, Maas, Meese, Mose, Moose, Mace, etc.) Of course, people who are locked into your party are excluded from this restriction.

Difficulty: I would say not too hard. You get a good number of single-syllables early on and you get a good range of skills (Kai, Luc, Kreutz and Mace can all be very effective).

2. The No Runes Challenge.
You cannot equip Runes on characters. You may not use locked Runes that people have (Kasumi, Valeria). Kai may not be used since his locked Rune is a support Rune and its effect cannot be negated. If a character comes with a Rune, you must unequip it.

Difficulty: Hard. Without magic or command Runes, you will rely heavily on unites. People like Luc will never get off the bench, but reservists like Varkas, Sydonia, Sylvina, Morgan and Eikei will see a lot of action.

3. The No Recruitment Challenge.
You cannot recruit Stars. The only people you may recruit are those that auto-join. In instances where you are given the option to kill or recruit (Milich and Kwanda) you must kill. You may save Pahn.

Difficulty: Varies. In terms of party battles, this one seems pretty easy. Many of the auto-join characters are good in battle (Valeria, Cleo, Luc, Pahn, Alen, Grenseal, Flik, Humphrey, etc.), so that aspect would be easy, but in terms of military battles, that is another story. You will have one magic unit with only one character in it. Yup, Luc will be the only Magic attack you have in major battles. Your Archers will be weak (Forest Protectors and Soldier Beauties being the only decent units), but your Charge units will be OK. Don't rely on your Special units, either. Other than Dragon Knights, you will have no full units. You will have one Strategist, one Ninja, one Merchant and two Thieves. The hardest part of this one is that you have nothing in your castle. You will have to walk to Seika to change Runes and go to Kouan to appraise. Shopping must be done in towns. Your castle will only have one blacksmith, and he can only sharpen to level 12. Of course, you can go to the Warriors' Village to use Moose to get to 15 if you want. Your castle will have no inn, no vault and no bath. Any curio items must be discarded since you have no librarian, painter, window maker or phonologist. You will also have no elevator, no teleporter and no Blinking Mirror, meaning you have to walk everywhere and back again (or sail if appropriate). Seems a lot harder now, doesn't it? This one seems more irritating than anything.

4. The No Shopping Challenge.
The only items you may use are those obtained from chests, dropped by enemies, acquired through plot devices or that come equipped on characters. You will have almost no Runes. You can get all the best armor in the game eventually, but your people will be hurting in the defense department for long periods of time.

Difficulty: Fairly easy. Once you start recruiting people, you can strip them. People come with decent stuff occasionally. Your front-line will be decently defended and your back line almost naked, though. Suddenly Mina's locked Magic Robe doesn't seem so lame anymore, huh?

These are a few I came up with. Anyone have any more ideas? If anyone has completed a challenge game oin their own previosuly, how did you do it?

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Have you tried all of these yourself? It'd be nice to know they are accomplishable before one of use tries it. I may try that 'No Rune" challenge eventually though.

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My suggestions:

5. No Weapon Sharpening.
This wouldn't make it ridiculously difficult since you can still use magic and whatnot, but this would force you to keep on changing the characters you use into the "newer" ones because they come up with higher weapon level by default.

6. No Character Customization.
This is also similar to the no weapon sharpening, but this takes it to a higher level since now you're also not allowed to customize any of the character's rune and armor either. So you can only use whatever they come with. You are allowed to use Locked Runes, and also Runes that they come with, but you're not allowed to attach runes to those that come with no runes.

7. Auto-only.
I'm not exactly sure how difficult this would be since you are actually allowed to customize your characters (good armor and strong weapons), but the only command you can use is the Auto command. This would obviously be okay if your party is strong, but it can be troublesome since you can't heal anyone and you can't use any runes or unites.

8. 1-2-3-man party.
You can only use up to maximum of 3 people in your party whenever possible (exceptions given for those when you have more than 2 characters forced into the party, like early in the game), and no more. Of course you can use less if you want to. This wouldn't be overly difficult, but might be challenging because you will have to sort the roles of the characters properly.

If you noticed, none of my suggestions are really all that difficult, because I don't want to make it ridiculous and more of a hassle. Game should still be enjoyable even if it's meant as a challenge. It shouldn't be tedious to play with.

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Thor McOdin

Stupid Sexy Flanders!

1757439 Potch
4444 Soldiers
4225 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The Ninja Challenge: Evenly though Kage was in my final party, I think we can all agree that the ninjas aren't the most powerful characters in Suikoden. Still, put all three of them in your party.

Hero's Party: That would constitute Tir, Pahn, Gremio, Cleo, Viktor, and Flik for most of the game (if possible). Chances are it has been done before on several occasions.

Mine aren't spectacular...

Not all ninja codes are brewed equally. Here at Shinobi, we use the choicest Bavarian hops that are ripened to perfection. One sip and we will have you saying...nothing.
Fudozukushi

The Fudozukushi Minion Army!

1081375 Potch
250 Soldiers
143 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The Only Forced Characters Challenge.

Use only characters forced into your party, this shouldn't be too absurdly hard since you're almost always with someone at sometime, but some of the latter boss battles and such could be insane with only two or three characters with you.

The No Items Challenge.
Don't use any items ever, that includes no equipping Runes, clothing, medicines, toxins, Blinking Mirror, and other stuff. Sharpening can be used and come-with runes are allowed also.

The One Man Army Challenge.
Only use McDohl to fight battles, any tag along party members must be killed off. Not much to that one.

The Sea Guys Challenge.
Only use Tai Ho, Yam Ko, Anki, Kanak, and Leonardo in your party. Any other characters including McDohl must be killed off.

The Blackmsith Challenge.
Only use the blacksmithes Maase, Meese, Moose, Mose, and Mace. Any other party members mst be killed off including McDohl.
Assassin01

Team Assassination

575125 Potch
200 Soldiers
900 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm not sure if you know this already but you can do a challenge at the Start of the game that allows you to get either a Fortune Rune or Prosperity Rune. All you need to do is once you have control of the hero you just need to go to Sarady and talk to the guy at the top right corner of the village to get the Fortune Rune. However if you want to get the Prosperity Rune you need to have Ted join you and follow the same procedure. For those of you who don't already know about this, the sidequest/challenge is harder than you think (you'll see what i mean once you start). Good Luck
redxa3

Valence Turmeil

363113 Potch
10 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The Magic Challenge
This involves using only magic attacks, no physical attacks(except for the first and you must do it after you are given the chance to equip runes, after that all battles(attacks) must be rune attacks no other exceptions except for your first mission.

The Narcisst Challenge
As the title states you have to use narcissts in your party the moment you get them(i.e. Milich,etc.) Also you cant use any other characters(except for those whom you cant remove from your party).

The Regular folk Challenge
Same as narcisst challenge except you have to use "regular folk" (i.e. Antonio, Lester, Sarah, Blackman,etc.)

The Same Rune Challenge
Clear and simple only use 1 type of run for all characters( except for those whose runes cant be removed). i.e. the party should consist of people whose runes are the same . if one character has fire everyone should have fire.

The Weak Armor Challenge
Use only the characters starting equipment, they should not be changed.

The War Infantry Challenge
Use only infantry type attacks during war battles

Note all these challenges have been tried and tested by myself and i beat the game even with these challenges. 8-)

Valence Turmeil
The Protectors of the Crimson Deep
redxa3

Valence Turmeil

363113 Potch
10 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Another one that I've tried

The Young girls Challenge
Aside from Tir, only young girls are allowed, the story characters who join should be killed. use girls like Lotte, Meg, etc.

Difficulty: Depends on the characters you use, if you develop them enough, these girls could be the very best members in your party.

Magical Charge
In war battles only use Magical units (i.e. Children of the Runes,etc.)

Difficulty: Depends, again it depends on how the AI attacks your army, this could take you an easy victory or could spell the end of your army, your choice

I don't wanna fight!!!!!
Run away from all random fights.

Difficluty: Hard. The only thing you can depend on is 1.) Good Armor and 2.) Characters who join at very high levels.

The first is the last
Use the characters who join you at start only(i.e Gremio,Pahn and Cleo) Others who join due to story purposes should die

Difficulty: Not that hard. Gremio,Cleo and Pahn are great at high levels.

Non Battle Rune
Don't use/equip any offensive runes, If there are unremovable offensive runes, don't use them. Healing attacks are exempted as long as they don't attack foes.

Difficulty: Depends. Your party will now be all offense so it depends on the strength of your characters to win a fight. :P

Valence Turmeil
Seraphblade

imaginary soldiers

935122 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Assassin01 wrote:
I'm not sure if you know this already but you can do a challenge at the Start of the game that allows you to get either a Fortune Rune or Prosperity Rune. All you need to do is once you have control of the hero you just need to go to Sarady and talk to the guy at the top right corner of the village to get the Fortune Rune. However if you want to get the Prosperity Rune you need to have Ted join you and follow the same procedure. For those of you who don't already know about this, the sidequest/challenge is harder than you think (you'll see what i mean once you start). Good Luck

The challenge is pretty hard, I needed Ted to help out when I did it. I think I'm gonna try the Fortune Rune quest next.
redxa3

Valence Turmeil

363113 Potch
10 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This is the last set I'll make

The Archer Challenge
Use only Ranged attacks in Army Battle

Difficulty : Depends on how the AI does things, you could easily win/ die

No backups challenge
Don't save

Difficulty : Depends, hard if you if you can't play long/die but easy if you know how to do things

Valence Turmeil

Last edited by redxa3 on Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Justice Johnny

Crimson Grass

1177898 Potch
114 Soldiers
940 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

redxa3 wrote:
Non Battle Rune
Don't use/equip any offensive runes, If there are unremovable offensive runes, don't use them. Healing attacks are exempted as long as they don't attack foes.

Difficulty: Depends. Your party will now be all offense so it depends on the strength of your characters to win a fight. :P

What about support runes? Well... there really aren't much support runes here. Only Spark, I think. Unite attacks would definitely make this challenge easier.

I would like to try a "kill everyone" challenge though, and try to have the least amount of stars possible by the end of the game.
Razor

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Started playing it again, & am trying to get the 108 stars before i start S2, have got them all, apart from Jabba & Gremio. I know how you get Gremio, it's Jabba i can't get, i go onto the world map near Rikon, but can't get into any battles to get the Nameless Urn? can anyone help? any suggestions, tips, cheats etc??

thanks,

Paul
Wataru

The Light Fantastic

59113 Potch
0 Soldiers
515589 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Fight the holly fairies. They drop the Urn.

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Meh, I've done a few of these on my own time. The No-Rune is actually really easy. Once you get a few good unite attacks, things are a cake walk. And pretty sure my first play through of Suikoden ever was basically a no recruitment one. Heh. I missed pretty much anybody who wasn't as simple as talk and join. And even then, I missed a bunch of them too.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Gameplay Questions & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: